PDA

View Full Version : weird backhand slice/volley problems

raiden031
07-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Lately I've been having problems hitting both backhand slice and volleys that are about face height (~6 ft.). I don't know why because I used to feel comfortable with these shots, but the last few months I have had trouble controlling them. I either hit under the ball and it shoots up high, or I try to over-compensate and hit it straight down into the net. I used to be more comfortable using backhand slice than using my 1-handed topspin backhand, but now that is changing and I actually feel more comfortable hitting the topspin shot. Its really bizarre how I lost confidence in this shot, and its not just in match play, but when I'm practicing or hitting against the wall, I feel just as uncomfortable with these shots. Every other shot seems to be improving while these are worse. What the heck is going on?

BU-Tennis
07-25-2009, 09:38 AM
The important thing to remember when hitting these shots is to not cut down too hard on the ball but to follow through. When hitting the high volley especially this is important as cutting down on the ball will lead to it floating up or if the racquet isn't set correctly make it dip into the net.

naylor
07-25-2009, 11:49 AM
On the volley, it's important that you step in (for a rightie) with your right leg into contact, and close your shoulders - that high, you nearly have to turn your back to the net and play it as a backhand smash.

On the sliced backhand, my personal experience is that if I take it higher than shoulder height I'm going beyond my comfort zone - it's difficult to get your racket to follow through in the same path as you intend the ball to follow. If I take it higher than that (for instance, returning a wide kicker), I also tend to put sidespin to bring the ball down crosscourt, but shorter and in a more acute angle, on the left half of the ad service box.

LeeD
07-26-2009, 07:11 AM
High backhand slice and volleys, most important to remember to firm wrists, lock racket to forearm angle around 90 degrees, turn sideways, move that sideways body forward into the stroke without leaning the trunk. Employ legs.
The swing is not a chop, as you know. It's a swingpath that doesn't reflect the angle of the face of the racket. Don't lead the swing with the racketedge.
Get you partner to feed you 100 high backhand volleys. Your high backhand slice groundie will also come back to you.