PDA

View Full Version : western forehand

chris
07-25-2009, 10:06 PM
do you want a heavy racket like twelve or above or a light racket eleven to twelve fore the western forehand

LeeD
07-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Depends....
You know you need swing speed, so lighter for weak people, but can be heavier for people who prep early and know how to swing.
Slow incoming balls can be whacked hard with a light racket. But can also be crushed with 12 oz rackets.
Fast incoming balls are easier to hit solid with a lighter racket, which usually means BIGGER racket too.
But a player who preps early can usually handle fast incoming balls with a heavy racket, because he's ready sooner.
And of course, a heavier racket can hit a heavier ball.
Kinda depends who you play, what level they hit, and whether you can handle the different racket weights.
Generally, lighter rackets promote whippy, arm only strokes.
Heavier rackets NEED the whole kinetic chain, so you gotta prep earlier, see the ball earlier, and play better to use them.

3lowdown
07-26-2009, 09:30 AM
well i use a western and use a fairly light racket 10.6g (npro open). The weight is a little forgiving for bad timing, and alows me to get alot of spin with less shanks than with a heavier frame.

user92626
07-26-2009, 09:38 AM
You'd be better off with a light racket, preferably under 11. Western is a more meticulous stroke, you'd need to have complete control over the racket, not toying with the weight for power. At least not yet.

SethIMcClaine
07-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Start concentrating on bringing your fh or bh back as soon as you know what side you want to take the ball on (this includes running with your racquet cocked back for a backhand). Makes a huge difference in contact/control, and will get you to that heavier racquet sooner

chris
07-26-2009, 12:21 PM
i play with a fischer m pro one 98 sl with lead so its about 12.3 ounces strung and was wondering if a heavier racket are worse for western because i want to make a switch to it

SethIMcClaine
07-26-2009, 08:40 PM
What grip are you playing with now? (I'm wondering why you are choosing western over semi wester which seams to be the latest craze with the windshield wiper swing) and if I'm not mistaken, heavier racquets, tighter strings, and larger faces have the most impact on spins if thats what youre looking for?

BU-Tennis
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
The golden rule for picking a racquet is as follows: Use the heaviest racquet you can handle. People like lighter racquets because you get more power, but this is usually due to the fact that they are stiffer and have a larger headsize which gives more power. In fact, a heavier racquet implies more force so therefore increases the power. Now if you're using a western I do suggest getting a racquet with a headsize of 98 inches to give a little more pop and more dwell time to apply spin, as mishits can happen too often with a smaller racquet.

nfor304
07-27-2009, 04:38 AM
I use a k6.1 tour 90 and hit a western forehand.

SethIMcClaine
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
The golden rule for picking a racquet is as follows: Use the heaviest racquet you can handle. People like lighter racquets because you get more power, but this is usually due to the fact that they are stiffer and have a larger headsize which gives more power. In fact, a heavier racquet implies more force so therefore increases the power. Now if you're using a western I do suggest getting a racquet with a headsize of 98 inches to give a little more pop and more dwell time to apply spin, as mishits can happen too often with a smaller racquet.
Ok you contradict yourself here

And lighter racquets aren't necisarly stiffer, and a stiffer racquet doesnt give you more power, in fact it takes away power.

Where do you get your information from?