PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of backhands...

Rickson
07-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Is it easier for a one hander to hit a 2hbh or for a two hander to hit a 1hbh? I find that hitting a 2 hander is difficult for most 1 handers due to their extreme grips and vice versa for 2 handers with their grips being too open for a solid 1hbh. What's your opinion?

luthertn
07-25-2009, 11:08 PM
well most of my friend they are both 2 hander and 1 hander , so its a hard to tell , but i was a 2hander but switch to 1hander and i try to hit 2 hand its harder for me its hard to rip off some topspin... i think its easier for 2hander to do 1 hand

Rickson
07-25-2009, 11:18 PM
I am also a convert and when I tried to hit the 2hbh recently while horsing around, I found that the ball was way too spinny and it dumped right into the net. The swbh grip with the bottom hand definitely doesn't work well with the 2hbh. I believe the 2 hander's combo is an efh top with a continental bottom.

aptennis91
07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I use 2hbh, but honestly I think my 1hbh is much better..lol
I'm just pressured by my coach and others to use 2hbh.
I tried it out once and I was hitting with some massive topspin w/ pace and my racquet is 108 sq in.
Although, my chest muscles paid the price the day after..:(

ubermeyer
07-26-2009, 02:44 PM
well, almost all 2 handers hit a backhand slice one handed. however, 1 handers never use the 2 hander for anything.

VaBeachTennis
07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I am also a convert and when I tried to hit the 2hbh recently while horsing around, I found that the ball was way too spinny and it dumped right into the net. The swbh grip with the bottom hand definitely doesn't work well with the 2hbh. I believe the 2 hander's combo is an efh top with a continental bottom.

Yeah, that seems to be a problem of timing. I'm willing to bet that you used a 1HBH timing for the 2HBH. I found when I switch to 2HBH, I actually have to "wait" for the ball to come into the strike zone. If I am too early, it winds up like you said "way too spinny and in the net.
Since I naturally bat and swing a golf club right handed (I'm a lefty), I'm sometimes tempted to go to a 2HBH because I can knock the heck out of the ball. But I still love my 1HBH. ;)

aimr75
07-26-2009, 04:09 PM
as a one hander, the thing i found difficult to adjust to with the 2hbh was more so the additional body rotation..

With the one hander, its largely a closed stance with the hips not rotating alot.. but found the hips rotating alot more with the 2hbh through the shot.. capturing myself initially hitting a 2 hander on video, my lower body looked like a 1hbh stroke :) this improved after a few attempts..

VaBeachTennis
07-26-2009, 04:46 PM
as a one hander, the thing i found difficult to adjust to with the 2hbh was more so the additional body rotation..

With the one hander, its largely a closed stance with the hips not rotating alot.. but found the hips rotating alot more with the 2hbh through the shot.. capturing myself initially hitting a 2 hander on video, my lower body looked like a 1hbh stroke :) this improved after a few attempts..

That's pretty funny, because I started out with a 2HBH, stopped playing tennis and played racquetball(1HBH), went back to tennis and used a 1HBH, but i sometimes have to be conscious NOT to rotate with my 1HBH.

MesQueUnClub
07-26-2009, 06:51 PM
I use a 1HBH and I can't hit a 2 hander to save my life.

NickH87
07-26-2009, 07:15 PM
I use a 1HBH and have a decent 2HBH. For some reason with serves, I like to mix it up so if they serve to my backhand I usually slice it since the 1st serve is too fast to react for hit the 1HBH, but I can hit a decent return with the 2HBH.

J011yroger
07-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Most of my friends with 2hbh can hit a passable 1 hander, none of my friends with a 1 hander can hit 2hbh worth a damn.

J

Rickson
07-26-2009, 07:21 PM
You have a pretty mean slice.

coyfish
07-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I think for most its harder to hit a 1H BH. I think nowadays most (including me) learn the 2H backhand. The 1 hander really takes getting used to as I am finding out now that I have switched. At least for me the 2 hander wasn't very hard to learn. The 1 hander has more technique / precision involved imo.

pvaudio
07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
I was taught a 2HBH starting, but always was dissatisfied, so I switch to a 1HBH. I can't hit a 2HBH very well anymore, but I guess if I HAD to for some reason, I could still play defense with it. When I had my 2HBH, I was exactly the same with the 1HBH until I decided to switch.