PDA

View Full Version : How many of us have played on clay or grass court?

firstblud
07-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I haven't ... maybe one day when i get much better i'll seek one out

JMS
07-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I play on clay most of the time, and sometimes on hard depending if I'm at a country club or a public park

beneszilo
07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I always play on red clay and played a few times on synthetic grass, but I haven't play on hard courts.

KoolBeans
07-26-2009, 11:48 AM
waaaaaaaat? Im I the only grasscourter currently in this poll?

Grass is where its at.

England is where i live obviously ha

Kick_It
07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
All of the above - red and green clay, real and artificial grass.

Fave is real grass. Was bummed I couldn't play National Grasscourt last year and can't this year either. Suits my game well - even though the nearest real grass courts I can play on are 6 hours away and shoes for grass are impossible to find where I live.

Red clay is my least favorite; one good experience and a couple bad ones there. Probably due to a general lack of experience on it.

Green clay is starting to grow on me. Hit on it last week in Florida. Had the express benefit that the court isn't as much of an oven as hard courts are when it is above 90 degrees outside...

firstblud
07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
do any of you grass courters play outside of england?

GuyClinch
07-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah there are grass courts in the US. Over in newport RI you can play on those courts - also in the Hamptons (on long island in NY) there are some courts I have been told. A girl I met at a party plays on those....so she says. I am sure there are more but there are certainly some. And clay courts - well TONS of places have those. Har-Tru is very popular. And very nice to play on.

I actually prefer though a "spongy" hard court. I think they call it rebound ace. But some indoor places use something like that - as well as some outdoor places. It's the best surface as you get true bounces but a good one is easy on your joints like clay. I will pass on they typical cement court. I can't play on that stuff more then once a week.

Kick_It
07-26-2009, 02:01 PM
There are some grass courts north of Victoria, B.C. in Canada.

firstblud
07-26-2009, 02:26 PM
ah... i haven't seen any grass here in california. i've seen clay in the burbank tennis center, although i was a bit disappointed at this green clay; it just looked like sand spread over a regular hard court.

Eph
07-26-2009, 03:00 PM
I'd love to play on red clay more! I usually play on hardcourts, but have played on all three surfaces.

DNShade
07-26-2009, 03:30 PM
do any of you grass courters play outside of england?

Played on all surfaces many times - grass, red and green clay, all types of hard and indoor - even wood, plastic and a bunch of other interesting stuff.

There are some great grass courts in CA - right in the LA area (Sherwood) as well and soon to be even more. Palm Springs has some great grass facilities too.

VaBeachTennis
07-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I've played on har-tru, rubber, gym floors, and some kind of synthetic carpet. Besides different types of hard courts.

EtePras
07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Non-hard courts? I didn't know those existed until I came to this site and watched people play on TV.

Jay_The_Nomad
07-27-2009, 02:00 AM
I've played on quite a few types of grass. I like the synthetic/sandy grass courts.. can slide like clay.

PimpMyGame
07-27-2009, 02:04 AM
All of my club nights and home matches are on grass*. Played on clay for about 2 hours when I was 15 (over 20 years ago) but I don't think that counts.

* - this does unfortunately mean that in so-so weather conditions we all have the indoor court centre on speed dial as damp grass can be lethal...

TTMR
07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
There's about three grass court facilities in all of Canada, where I live. All are members-only with long waiting lists and I assume high admission prices, which is a shame, as I would love to try playing on grass.

There are clay courts near where I live, but I only just discovered them and trying to get a decent partner willing to book a few days in advance with me is bordering on impossible.

So ultimately, I've only played on two kinds of court: concrete hard-court and asphalt hard-court. The latter was pretty fast, actually, compared to concrete.

Duzza
07-27-2009, 04:32 PM
I've played on en tout cas, clay, synthetic clay, classic clay, hard court, rebound ace, concrete, grass, synthetic grass.

Rickson
07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Clay yes, grass no.

Tyrus
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Does hard-tru count?

Will be in England by the end of this year, and grass is number 1 priority.

Ballsboy
07-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Does hard-tru count?

I think you're referring to har-tru? And it should, that's why they call it green clay, isn't it?.

I've played on red clay, hardcourts, carpet, and marble (I don't really know the material, that's just my guess). But never on grass.

Mansewerz
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I've played on the green clay. I want to try it out again soon. Lots of fun.

Tyrus
07-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I think you're referring to har-tru? And it should, that's why they call it green clay, isn't it?.

lol, i always overlooked the spelling and assumed hard-tru. Let me just rewire my brain to fix that.

Virtua Tennis
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I play on both every so often at the westside tennis club in newyork. Sucks that I have to wear white all the time.

adams_1
07-27-2009, 11:43 PM
I play on grass for a few months of the year. Love it.

flyinghippos101
07-28-2009, 07:26 AM
There are some grass courts north of Victoria, B.C. in Canada.

Know of any grass courts in the maritimes?

Kick_It
07-28-2009, 08:46 AM

I don't know of any. That isn't to say there aren't any - instead just that I don't know.

Good Luck! K_I

TTMR
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM

There are some in PEI. I'm not sure what the cost is, however.