PDA

View Full Version : Help Please, pain on back of elbow (not tennis elbow)

plum
07-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I've been feeling a slight but annoying pain after playing close to the elbow itself. It seems to be aggravated when serving and I think I might be hyperextending the elbow on serve. I am wondering if the elbow generally is supposed to, or does, fully elongate when serving. IF this is what is bothering it then maybe there is a small brace or something I can wear which will stop me, and ideally retrain that tendency to fully-- and or -- hyperextend the elbow when serving or otherwise. Thanks everybody for your help. The rest of me is good!:shock:

SethIMcClaine
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
I've been feeling a slight but annoying pain after playing close to the elbow itself. It seems to be aggravated when serving and I think I might be hyperextending the elbow on serve. I am wondering if the elbow generally is supposed to, or does, fully elongate when serving. IF this is what is bothering it then maybe there is a small brace or something I can wear which will stop me, and ideally retrain that tendency to fully-- and or -- hyperextend the elbow when serving or otherwise. Thanks everybody for your help. The rest of me is good!:shock:

I had a similiar problem, I hyperextended my elbow prior to starting tennis and started out serving wrong so every time I served it would irritate the injury more.
The solution I came across is slowing down my serve and correcting my form, no you shouldn't be completely extending your elbow. Start out slow and work your way up. Jumping into a fast swing, even during warm up will increase youre chance of reagrivating the muscles/tendons

SethIMcClaine
07-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Also, I looked through many braces, the only effective brace that I could find is hard brace and it was more agrivating than helpful

plum
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.bplowestprices.com/throwmax-flexible-elbow-brace.html

Look at this thing I just found! I not afraid to like like a robot. As a matter of fact when I win Wimbledon I'll probably have one of these on every limb...:oops:

Double bagel
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I had the same problem, I confused having tennis elbow with a hyperextension. You need a slight bend in the arm when making contact, especially if you're a strong, powerful server who might overdo it otherwise. I was confused because I blamed the condition on a 1hbh. I let the elbow heal, slowed down my serve (:oops:), and concentrate on more of a blend of power and placement instead of just trying to make potholes in the court.

2 weeks off did it for me...and no pain since.

plum
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
This pain never lingers for more than about 4-5 days; it's when I go back to play (which I wish was more than 2X per week but I can never find anyone to play up here!) that I need to try not to allow that spot to grt triggered. I actually always notice on the big flat serve out wide, that the elbow will sometimes extend to far and that pain re-appears! Maybe I should just try a no-slice pure topspin serve out wide to ad court?

SethIMcClaine
07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
This pain never lingers for more than about 4-5 days; it's when I go back to play (which I wish was more than 2X per week but I can never find anyone to play up here!) that I need to try not to allow that spot to grt triggered. I actually always notice on the big flat serve out wide, that the elbow will sometimes extend to far and that pain re-appears! Maybe I should just try a no-slice pure topspin serve out wide to ad court?
Sounds like you might need to incorporate your sholder into your fallow through a little bit more. If you have the ability post a vid of your serves let the guys on the board give you an analysis

plum
08-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, been playing a lot... Doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and actually, seems to be getting better. I usually ice the back of the elbow after a match and forget about it until I hit a big flat serve my next match. Does anyone know of any stretching/strengthening exercises for the back of the elbow. I would guess working on one's triceps would be logical? Thanks...