PDA

View Full Version : Switching to conti for approach and volley

Power Player
07-27-2009, 05:28 AM
I am working on getting a net game down because I do like to finish points there. I am mainly a baseline guy and I use a western forehand.

I think as a kid I volleyed w/ an eastern grip. I didn't know what it was, but it worked for me quite well even though it is technically wrong. Well getting my hand into the conti on the fly is not always so easy for some reason. It just feels foreign to me. As a result I am not volleyeing as well as I should be.

I am working on keeping the racquet tip up in the air with my wrist locked into the "thumbs up" position. What else should I focus on?

I also want to be able to baseline drop shot better from the forehand. When I do it right, it is a killer. Any tips on that would be great too.

LeeD
07-27-2009, 11:02 AM
We always recommend conti service grip, both first and second.
You use that grip to block really fast first serves...either side and into the body...
You can use that grip for most sliced backhands...
You can use that grip for all overheads and ALL volleys....
And you use dat grip for underspin approach shots, drop shots, wide forehand retrieves with underspin, and for whacking the ball up into the lights when you are frustrated with bad play...:twisted::twisted:
So after using the continental grip for all those reasons and variety of shots, it sorta becomes almost second nature to find it quickly and efficiently.......

Cindysphinx
07-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, you're not gonna like my answer.

When I was struggling with keeping a Continental grip for volleys, my pro took an ink pen and drew the outline of my hand onto my grip. I then had this big black line that marked exactly where my thumb-through-index finger should be, which I could consult very quickly before a point began and after an errant shot. I had the black line for about six months, and after a while I learned to draw it myself. :)

Oh, the ribbing I took from friends for that black line!!

Power Player
07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah..its weird how I use it all the time on serve but still struggle with the switch during a match.

If I have it correct, my bottom palm and index knuckle rest on the 2nd bevel. If they were on the 3rd, that would be eastern.

I was a ranked Jr player and never learned the grips until this year. I basically used a western or SW my whole life and did not even know what it was..lol. So I was volleying with an Eastern just because I was never taught different.

The black line is extreme..haha..I can see how it works but I shadow swing and just work on feeling the bevels.