PDA

View Full Version : USA: The South? The *******? West? Or some of the big cities?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Thinking about moving to USA and start working as a tennis-coach. Ive got my greencard. I have gotten lots of offers. Im a former pro player ranked 1000 in the world. Any suggestions? (Preferely from Americans)
Thanx!

brad1730
07-27-2009, 06:58 AM
For me, it normally boils down to... weather, water, mountains, economy, vibrancy of the town, and attitude of the locals. Do you like to see all 4 seasons, or is hot and hotter your 2 seasons? Do you like living near the oceans or lakes? Are the people laid back, outdoorsy types or are they hard-charging workers. Do you like big, middle or small cities? Are you familiar with our politics. Many people like living in liberal or conservative areas. Answer a few of these questions and I'll try to point you to a few cities. No matter what my opinion is though, there will be 10 people on here saying that I'm wrong, they live there, and it's just the opposite.

Cindysphinx
07-27-2009, 07:11 AM
+1.

In my area (Washington DC metro), I think it can be hard for tennis pros unless they affiliate with a club. The progression I have seen is that a new pro is hired by the club and is paid a pittance. As she becomes popular among club members who take clinics, she starts getting more clients. When the weather is too cold to play outside, she will teach through the club. Then when the weather warms, she can teach these clients outside in public parks and keep all of the revenue.

I get the sense from my pro is that he makes his real money in the warm months and deals with less income in the winter. I get the idea that he wants to strike out on his own, but I wonder where he would get a steady stream of clients were it not for meeting new clients through the club.

Others can probably give more info on this angle, but that's what I know about it.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 07:18 AM
For me, it normally boils down to... weather, water, mountains, economy, vibrancy of the town, and attitude of the locals. Do you like to see all 4 seasons, or is hot and hotter your 2 seasons? Do you like living near the oceans or lakes? Are the people laid back, outdoorsy types or are they hard-charging workers. Do you like big, middle or small cities? Are you familiar with our politics. Many people like living in liberal or conservative areas. Answer a few of these questions and I'll try to point you to a few cities. No matter what my opinion is though, there will be 10 people on here saying that I'm wrong, they live there, and it's just the opposite.
Thanx Brad,
Oh yeah, no matter what you write some pl are always gonna talk you down.
You mentioned great things that i really havent thought of...
Id like when the temperature is around 70-80 F...Hate the winter,we have enough of that in Sweden. Id like to live near a coast...Im oretty laidback so i would like that, when irŽt comes to politics i am not all into american politics...is day i would want some place not to conservative and not to liberale...I loved NYC,but i also really liked Louisville,Kentucky and Akron,Illinois. I guess that represents Huge medium and small citys right there...Hard to decide

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
+1.

In my area (Washington DC metro), I think it can be hard for tennis pros unless they affiliate with a club. The progression I have seen is that a new pro is hired by the club and is paid a pittance. As she becomes popular among club members who take clinics, she starts getting more clients. When the weather is too cold to play outside, she will teach through the club. Then when the weather warms, she can teach these clients outside in public parks and keep all of the revenue.

I get the sense from my pro is that he makes his real money in the warm months and deals with less income in the winter. I get the idea that he wants to strike out on his own, but I wonder where he would get a steady stream of clients were it not for meeting new clients through the club.

Others can probably give more info on this angle, but that's what I know about it.

I see, well thank you, it works that way in some clubs in Sweden aswell.

cak
07-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Cindy made a good point about the weather. I know our tennis pro gets no lesson income in bad weather. Those with indoor courts need to pay for the court time to teach. So you might start in an area where the weather allows outdoor playing year round.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Cindy made a good point about the weather. I know our tennis pro gets no lesson income in bad weather. Those with indoor courts need to pay for the court time to teach. So you might start in an area where the weather allows outdoor playing year round.
Thats actually a great ides...so we are talking? Florida? Californis? Georgia? Alabama? Arizona? Texas?

Steady Eddy
07-27-2009, 09:35 AM
I have a friend who's a golf pro up in Minnesota. He always complains about how the weather interupts his business up there. I'll ask him why he doesn't move down here and he says that teaching golf pays better up there. So who knows? Also, up in Minnesota, most of the tennis is played indoors, so weather isn't a factor.

The head guy at the Chandler Tennis Center is Norwegian. He might have some perspective what would be good. Here's a link.

http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageID=664

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I have a friend who's a golf pro up in Minnesota. He always complains about how the weather interupts his business up there. I'll ask him why he doesn't move down here and he says that teaching golf pays better up there. So who knows? Also, up in Minnesota, most of the tennis is played indoors, so weather isn't a factor.

The head guy at the Chandler Tennis Center is Norwegian. He might have some perspective what would be good. Here's a link.

http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageID=664
Thanx a lot!

Gemini
07-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I recommend either the South (primarily Florida) or Southern California if choosing just based on favorable weather for teaching, but I would also look at areas that have high concentrations of registered players. I live in Atlanta, GA and there are TONS of players here of all skill levels. The weather here is favorable most of the year.

Cindysphinx
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Another point is that bad weather may make income seasonal or unpredictable, but it is not necessarily an impediment to earning a living. My own pro has a mortgage, two cars, a non-working wife and one child. He has health insurance through his job at the club. His income may have its ups and downs, but he seems to be doing just fine.

If another area has a ton of tennis pros, the competition may be such that it could be difficult to earn a living wage even if the sun shines 365 days a year.

tennisnoob2
07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
its basically down to what climate you like. Every state and somewhere near a metro area has an indoor court/facility. Remeber, the closer you are to the city the more you get paid. If you wanted all year weather south California would be good. Texas, Florida, Louisiana, all get hit by hurricanes so that could affect a lot of playing time(summer-fall)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 11:02 AM
its basically down to what climate you like. Every state and somewhere near a metro area has an indoor court/facility. Remeber, the closer you are to the city the more you get paid. If you wanted all year weather south California would be good. Texas, Florida, Louisiana, all get hit by hurricanes so that could affect a lot of playing time(summer-fall)
"Texas, Florida, Louisiana, all get hit by hurricanes??:shock: Oh...regularly or once every 10 year...?:confused:

conditionZero
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
"Texas, Florida, Louisiana, all get hit by hurricanes??:shock: Oh...regularly or once every 10 year...?:confused:

At least one of those gets hit pretty much every year, some years more than once. (Don't leave out Mississippi and Alabama.) But most places are subject to either hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. So pick your poison. As least you can see hurricanes coming.

tennisnoob2
07-27-2009, 11:13 AM
^^yes. on a regular basis from about july-november(maybe october?). Yes mississippi and alabama too, but they arent a prime location for tennis.

I would expect to see a couple hurricanes every year. 1 or 2 being a higher level. Multiple tropical storms/depressions.

South cal is prime real estate, but you pay the price for it.

The northeast is pretty safe with no huge natural disasters(as long as you dont mind snow, which you've probably seen in sweden.) New York, Boston area, and Jersey are pretty good(they pay top $$$ for everything)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 11:16 AM
^^yes. on a regular basis from about july-november(maybe october?). Yes mississippi and alabama too, but they arent a prime location for tennis.

I would expect to see a couple hurricanes every year. 1 or 2 being a higher level. Multiple tropical storms/depressions.

South cal is prime real estate, but you pay the price for it.

The northeast is pretty safe with no huge natural disasters(as long as you dont mind snow, which you've probably seen in sweden.) New York, Boston area, and Jersey are pretty good(they pay top $$$ for everything)
I see,very interesting and facinating, i love USA...been there 3 times, NJ seems like a nice place,is it? NYC...to work in NYC you better live outside the city right? Ive hears that the prizes for condos and apartments are incredibly high?

conditionZero
07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
I see,very interesting and facinating, i love USA...been there 3 times, NJ seems like a nice place,is it? NYC...to work in NYC you better live outside the city right? Ive hears that the prizes for condos and apartments are incredibly high?

You'll get plenty of that winter that you hate in those places.

tennisnoob2
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM

yea dont live in the city. nj is nice in certain places, just dont go south jersey. Connecticut is better priced i believe and its right between nj and new york. Its also a decent ride to boston.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
yea dont live in the city. nj is nice in certain places, just dont go south jersey. Connecticut is better priced i believe and its right between nj and new york. Its also a decent ride to boston.
South Jersey is dangerous,no?
Connecticut better prized than NJ? You mean cheaper to rent a place there?

SretiCentV
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Don't move to Miami. It rains every day here!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Don't move to Miami. It rains every day here!

Are you serious or joking?:confused: Sunshine state right...?

tennisnoob2
07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
South Jersey is dangerous,no?
Connecticut better prized than NJ? You mean cheaper to rent a place there?

some parts are dangerous, its just not big on tennis there. I would say connecticut is cheaper. and it has a little bit of everything, cities, country side, and suburbs.

Nj is pretty expensive, just watch out for any city in new jersey(paterson,newark,irving, elizabeth are pretty dangerous)

I would stick to north nj because its easy to get anywhere out of state and there is a high amount of tennis clubs and courts.

Perry the Platypus
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
You might also give some thought to middle America. Kansas City, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Dallas all have very active tennis scenes, are big enough places to have a nice social life, have nice weather and have relatively low cost of living.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
You might also give some thought to middle America. Kansas City, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Dallas all have very active tennis scenes, are big enough places to have a nice social life, have nice weather and have relatively low cost of living.
I see,very interesting,thank u!

tennisnoob2
07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

perry, doesnt kansas city or oklahoma city get tornados?

http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/shpo/disaster/images/tmap.gif

lol

edit: you should look into arizona. Its like a desert.It gets hot but theres no humidity. Nice cities like flagstaff, phoenix, tucson They have a lot of tennis clubs and tournaments there.

brad1730
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I think you have a good idea of the weather. I live in Colorado, and while it does snow, it isn't as cold as people think. But while we have the mountains and rivers, we're short on oceans. My pitch for Colorado.

Most large cities will have a cosmopolitan mix of people, and usually aren't as bent to 1 direction (liberal/conservative) as smaller cities. For example, Boulder is very liberal, while Colorado Springs is known for being conservative. Denver is a little liberal, but is so big that no one label fits.

Larger cities will have more crime, but it's not rampant. You need to know where to go and not go - especially at night. If you've been to most large European cities - you have probably developed a sense of when/where it is safe. Same thing applies here. I wouldn't get drunk in downtown Denver, and walk home alone on Colfax Avenue - but that isn't hard to figure out.

Most of these cities, have smaller suburbs that are like small cities. These are attractive because they feel like a small city, but you are close to the big city. You can go see the Rockies (baseball) in Denver, and drive back to your home in Littleton.

My personal favorites would be California or Texas. While I like Florida, the humidity would kill me. Colorado has dry air and few bugs. Texas can be sizzling hot in July or August, but the rest of the year is great. The people are proud of their state and have always been very friendly when I've visited. California is known for being liberal, but they are very laid back and you can't beat the Pacific ocean! Be careful though - California has a wide variety of cities. Do your homework on weather, etc.

SretiCentV
07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Are you serious or joking?:confused: Sunshine state right...?

It's the sunshine state because they say it's the sunshine state and housing prices never go down because realtors say so too.

I am partially serious about the rain though since it rains 95% of the time from May to September. The rest of the year is pretty good I guess.

amarone
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I recommend either the South (primarily Florida) or Southern California if choosing just based on favorable weather for teaching, but I would also look at areas that have high concentrations of registered players. I live in Atlanta, GA and there are TONS of players here of all skill levels. The weather here is favorable most of the year.
I second Atlanta. It has way more tennis than any other city in the US. For a Swedish connection, Mikael Pernfors used to be a pro at The Racquet Club of the South - I don't know if he still is.

tennisnoob2
07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
It's the sunshine state because they say it's the sunshine state and housing prices never go down because realtors say so too.

I am partially serious about the rain though since it rains 95% of the time from May to September. The rest of the year is pretty good I guess.

...houses are cheap down there, except for miami

^^^^atlanta does not even compare to so cal(the un-deny-able tennis capital of the usa)

ny metro would be next(along with the prices and cost of living

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
...houses are cheap down there, except for miami

^^^^atlanta does not even compare to so cal(the un-deny-able tennis capital of the usa)

ny metro would be next(along with the prices and cost of living
I see, but there isnt many tennisclubs on Manhattan right? I would imagine that Queens got many? And Brooklyn?

tennisnoob2
07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I see, but there isnt many tennisclubs on Manhattan right? I would imagine that Queens got many? And Brooklyn?

well if you are looking for a nice club, i wouldnt go in the city for two reasons

Rates- In america they charge based on when you use it. This can either be for winter or a certain number of months. Clubs can charge membership for up to about 3,000 a year(not sure if they charge trainers,but this is how it is for players). Then you have to pay on top of that for court time. Sometimes the club also controls the rates you have to charge seeing as you are using their courts. New york always is the most EXPENSIVE state in every catorgory. They have the highest sales tax(8%?) and one of the highest income taxes.

Location-the city is a hell hole to get to by car, you have parking garages that are extremely expensive. So you would want to live in the city by the club.

btw r u looking to rent or buy?

I would go look at connecticut(you can drive Nj,NY,Boston in about 3 hrs) or boston . Connecticut is also the headquarters of Head tennis lol

here are some real estate sites, they are nation wide

http://www.weichert.com/

http://www.remax.com/

http://www.century21.com/

OrangePower
07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanx Brad,
Oh yeah, no matter what you write some pl are always gonna talk you down.
You mentioned great things that i really havent thought of...
Id like when the temperature is around 70-80 F...Hate the winter,we have enough of that in Sweden. Id like to live near a coast...Im oretty laidback so i would like that, when irŽt comes to politics i am not all into american politics...is day i would want some place not to conservative and not to liberale...I loved NYC,but i also really liked Louisville,Kentucky and Akron,Illinois. I guess that represents Huge medium and small citys right there...Hard to decide

I am biased, but...

The San Francisco bay area might be something to look into. Good weather all around - not too hot, not too cold. On the coast and generally a very scenic area.

Tennis-wise, you can play outdoors year round and not too many days lost for rain. Lots of clubs and also lots of public tennis courts. There is an active tennis community.

San Francisco and the bay area is very cosmopolitan, so there would not be as much of a culture shock as maybe other areas of the USA. Depending on what you prefer, you could live in the city itself to get the big city experience, or else if you prefer things quieter, there are many nice communities around the bay.

The biggest down side would be the high cost of living here. So getting started might be financially tough. But on the other hand, you can charge and earn more than in many other areas. So once you build up a client base you might actually end up better off than in a 'cheaper' place.

WhiteStripes
07-31-2009, 01:47 AM
Having lived seemingly all over the country (DC, NC, NYC, Cali, and seemingly everywhere in between), I'll definitely say tennis-wise, there's nothing quite like Southern California for a tennis player -- if for nothing else, solely because of the weather. Florida (and other tennis hotbeds in the South like Atlanta and Houston) may be warm year-round, but it can get brutally hot and humid. And as another poster mentioned, there always seem to be a risk of a damn storm every day.

SoCal (where I live now), on the other hand, you're getting sunshine and close to average 70 degrees year round if you're near the coast. Little humidity. And it seemingly never rains here. Lots of public courts. Lots of private clubs. Lots and lots of tennis players. NorCal is nice too, but a bit cooler, and it rains a bit more. Like Orange said, biggest downside to Cali is the high cost of living.

dennis10is
07-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Having lived seemingly all over the country (DC, NC, NYC, Cali, and seemingly everywhere in between), I'll definitely say tennis-wise, there's nothing quite like Southern California for a tennis player -- if for nothing else, solely because of the weather. Florida (and other tennis hotbeds in the South like Atlanta and Houston) may be warm year-round, but it can get brutally hot and humid. And as another poster mentioned, there always seem to be a risk of a damn storm every day.

SoCal (where I live now), on the other hand, you're getting sunshine and close to average 70 degrees year round if you're near the coast. Little humidity. And it seemingly never rains here. Lots of public courts. Lots of private clubs. Lots and lots of tennis players. NorCal is nice too, but a bit cooler, and it rains a bit more. Like Orange said, biggest downside to Cali is the high cost of living.

I would second what you say but you left out

Earthquakes. I've been through all the decent sized one since the 80's. Some people freak out about them but I miss them now that I'm living in NY.

Potentially long commute. This is not specific to So Cal, Atlanta, NY, Boston etc.. can all be horrible but I think So Cal and NYC are the worse.

The OP may have to live in a small apartment, save his money so that by the NEXT housing crash he'll be able to afford a house.

The Wreck
07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Hilton Head, SC. If you are a serious tennis pro, I would say this is the ideal place.

But if you are looking for a more city-like environment with access to the coast or lake, then the metro Atlanta area is a thriving tennis community where you could surely find work.

stanfordtennis alum
07-31-2009, 06:18 PM
i would recommend either texas or arizona for best year-round tennis weather

IceNineTX
07-31-2009, 08:26 PM
i would recommend either texas or arizona for best year-round tennis weather

I live in the Houston, TX area there is never an off season. Winters have a few days here and there where it's too cold to play, but generally during Nov-Feb, you just need to throw on a light long sleeve shirt for evening tennis. Summers are hot and humid, but that doesn't stop anyone from playing.

Hurricane Ike knocked out our club for about a week, but that's mainly because it was shutting down in 2 months time anyway. It could have been just a couple of days. But before 2008, the last hurricane was like 25 years prior.

We have our share of rain, but it's usually manageable and dries fast.

I do hear great things about Atlanta, too.

pmerk34
08-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Hilton Head, SC. If you are a serious tennis pro, I would say this is the ideal place.

But if you are looking for a more city-like environment with access to the coast or lake, then the metro Atlanta area is a thriving tennis community where you could surely find work.

Stay in Sweden where you get free health insurance.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Stay in Sweden where you get free health insurance.
I hear a lot of talk about health-insurance, i know that healthcare is expensive in USA but doesnt your employe provide you with health-insurance for free??

conditionZero
08-01-2009, 03:14 PM
There goes this thread...

pmerk34
08-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I hear a lot of talk about health-insurance, i know that healthcare is expensive in USA but doesnt your employe provide you with health-insurance for free??

Stay in Sweden.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Stay in Sweden.
Why are you saying that?

pmerk34
08-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Why are you saying that?

Because this country has nothing to offer you. Tennis isn't popular here. You get the best health care in the world and have the highest standard of living in Sweden.

Steady Eddy
08-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Why are you saying that?
It's a class issue. The legend of Europe around here goes that it's a Utopia. Supposedly: no crime, no energy problems, mass transit, and 'free' healthcare. Being glad of living in America to them suggests that you're naive, at the very least, while dissin' everything American implies that one is well-traveled and has a degree of sophistication.

Someone like you puzzles them. Why would you leave paradise and like it here? For example, why leave Sweden and 'free'* healthcare? But you're right, most jobs provide it, and even if you don't have it, emergency rooms will always supply it.

*I put 'free' in quotation marks because many Americans are unaware of the high taxation rates in Sweden. The manner of paying is different, but governments really cannot make things "free".

pmerk34
08-01-2009, 03:39 PM
It's a class issue. The legend of Europe around here goes that it's a Utopia. Supposedly: no crime, no energy problems, mass transit, and 'free' healthcare. Being glad of living in America to them suggests that you're naive, at the very least, while dissin' everything American implies that one is well-traveled and has a degree of sophistication.

Someone like you puzzles them. Why would you leave paradise and like it here? For example, why leave Sweden and 'free'* healthcare? But you're right, most jobs provide it, and even if you don't have it, emergency rooms will always supply it.

*I put 'free' in quotation marks because many Americans are unaware of the high taxation rates in Sweden. The manner of paying is different, but governments really cannot make things "free".

The tax rates here suck. Stay in Sweden.

conditionZero
08-01-2009, 05:04 PM
The tax rates here suck. Stay in Sweden.

You just can't pass up the chance to bash America, can you? We got it, you hate America, America sucks, etc., etc.

Magician, don't worry about that nonsense. One of the good things about the USA is that life here can be whatever you want to make it. The diversity is astounding. You can be a beach bum, country boy, coon ***, city boy, cowboy (my personal favorite)... Live in the mountains, desert, hot, cold, rainy, dry... Whatever you want, you can have it here. You can even be a pretencious America hating snob in Long Island.

Back to your original question:
Youve gotten a lot of input, so I'll just add this - any where along the gulf coast you can find year around tennis, but the heat and humidity can be brutal. 95 degrees with the humidity can be suffocating. I live along the gulf coast and during the summer the tennis scene actually slows down. In the middle of the day, even on weekends, the courts are often deserted. That more or less includes Louisiana, Mississippi, parts of Texas, Alabama and Florida.

Wherever you decide, I'm sure you'll be welcomed. Let us know when you get here.

P.S. Whether your employer or the government pay for you health insurance, there's absolutely nothing free about it.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
You just can't pass up the chance to bash America, can you? We got it, you hate America, America sucks, etc., etc.

Magician, don't worry about that nonsense. One of the good things about the USA is that life here can be whatever you want to make it. The diversity is astounding. You can be a beach bum, country boy, coon ***, city boy, cowboy (my personal favorite)... Live in the mountains, desert, hot, cold, rainy, dry... Whatever you want, you can have it here. You can even be a pretencious America hating snob in Long Island.

Back to your original question:
Youve gotten a lot of input, so I'll just add this - any where along the gulf coast you can find year around tennis, but the heat and humidity can be brutal. 95 degrees with the humidity can be suffocating. I live along the gulf coast and during the summer the tennis scene actually slows down. In the middle of the day, even on weekends, the courts are often deserted. That more or less includes Louisiana, Mississippi, parts of Texas, Alabama and Florida.

Wherever you decide, I'm sure you'll be welcomed. Let us know when you get here.

P.S. Whether your employer or the government pay for you health insurance, there's absolutely nothing free about it.

I see, thank you very much, i didnt mean to stir up any bad emotions or anything...Why would an American hate America? Every country has its downsides im sure, ive traveled all over Europe, iven been to Asia 2 times,South-America and Australia, but i liked USA the most...once gain,thank u.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 05:29 PM

I see,very fascinating...thank u very much.

Wakenslam
08-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Atlanta has some HUGE advantages for tennis players and pros. Our tennis season is 10-12 months, depending on how much you can stand chilly weather. We are 6 hours from the Gulf of Mexico, and 6 hours from the Atlantic. We have a TON of tennis players here of all age levels and abilities. Not only do we have USTA, but we also have ALTA (altatennis.org) If you're married with children there's plenty to do. The singles scene is also excellent. The economy and cost of living are really good here....... I can't think of any reason not to live here! SoCal is nice, but try buying a house there. The prices are CRAZY!!! In the Atlanta suburbs you can buy a 2800 square foot home with all the bells and whistles for under $200k.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Atlanta has some HUGE advantages for tennis players and pros. Our tennis season is 10-12 months, depending on how much you can stand chilly weather. We are 6 hours from the Gulf of Mexico, and 6 hours from the Atlantic. We have a TON of tennis players here of all age levels and abilities. Not only do we have USTA, but we also have ALTA (altatennis.org) If you're married with children there's plenty to do. The singles scene is also excellent. The economy and cost of living are really good here....... I can't think of any reason not to live here! SoCal is nice, but try buying a house there. The prices are CRAZY!!! In the Atlanta suburbs you can buy a 2800 square foot home with all the bells and whistles for under $200k.
Thank you! Lots of ppl have mentioned Atlanta, Yes i am single,29 years old, former pro-player...ill look up some clubs in Atlanta...

IceNineTX
08-01-2009, 05:38 PM
There goes this thread...

Yep. It was interesting while it lasted.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Yep. It was interesting while it lasted.
Help pick it up again then...

conditionZero
08-01-2009, 05:52 PM

Are houses really that reasonably priced outside of Atlanta???
I considered moving there years ago, it's beautiful.
I bought a house a year ago, 1900 sq. ft. for around $215k and it's not nearly as nice of an area as the Atlanta suburbs. (Although we have the best college baseball in the country, sorry Bulldogs.)

IceNineTX
08-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Help pick it up again then...

Ok, I will. I just hate it when people try to ruin it with political garbage. Anyway. If you are 29 and single, then you have less issues than most. You have more flexibility. You can live without digging roots too deep and move around a bit until you find what you like.

Everyone is biased towards there own area, but if I were a pro looking for work, I'd look for areas with the most ladies leagues going on. That's where the real money is. Assuming it's like where I live anyway. We have a lot of women who LOVE tennis, play everyday, get weekly private lessons, go to drills 3-4 times a week. They bring their kids to tiny tots/ZATs/champs and go to tennis socials with their husbands as "date nights". I know because I'm married to one. :-)

Atlanta is a hotbed, but I have no idea the ratio of club pros to players or what the competition is like. It's worth checking out though. I live in The Woodlands, TX (Houston area). It's awesome for Tennis. 60 public courts within 5 miles of my house. There are 5 or 6 "country clubs" that have full tennis programs as well nearby. A good pro will usually find a way to get clients.

Austin is 2.5 hours from Houston and is a great town with lots of Tennis.

I'd stay away from California only because of cost of living. It's impossible. I used to live there. Great weather, beautiful scenery, but too hard to survive financially. But that's just my opinion.

If you really want to come, do it. You can always go back if you hate it.

Good Luck!!

IceNineTX
08-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Are houses really that reasonably priced outside of Atlanta???
I considered moving there years ago, it's beautiful.
I bought a house a year ago, 1900 sq. ft. for around $215k and it's not nearly as nice of an area as the Atlanta suburbs. (Although we have the best college baseball in the country, sorry Bulldogs.)

With Rice and UT nearby, I think we can lay claim to that title too!

Houston is really cheap in comparison to most. I live in the "expensive" suburb and you can get 3500 sq ft houses for 350K or so now.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Ok, I will. I just hate it when people try to ruin it with political garbage. Anyway. If you are 29 and single, then you have less issues than most. You have more flexibility. You can live without digging roots too deep and move around a bit until you find what you like.

Everyone is biased towards there own area, but if I were a pro looking for work, I'd look for areas with the most ladies leagues going on. That's where the real money is. Assuming it's like where I live anyway. We have a lot of women who LOVE tennis, play everyday, get weekly private lessons, go to drills 3-4 times a week. They bring their kids to tiny tots/ZATs/champs and go to tennis socials with their husbands as "date nights". I know because I'm married to one. :-)

Atlanta is a hotbed, but I have no idea the ratio of club pros to players or what the competition is like. It's worth checking out though. I live in The Woodlands, TX (Houston area). It's awesome for Tennis. 60 public courts within 5 miles of my house. There are 5 or 6 "country clubs" that have full tennis programs as well nearby. A good pro will usually find a way to get clients.

Austin is 2.5 hours from Houston and is a great town with lots of Tennis.

I'd stay away from California only because of cost of living. It's impossible. I used to live there. Great weather, beautiful scenery, but too hard to survive financially. But that's just my opinion.

If you really want to come, do it. You can always go back if you hate it.

Good Luck!!

Thank you very much! Very interesting! Texas has always fascinated me,its so big! Bigger than Sweden, hows the temperature there?

IceNineTX
08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Thank you very much! Very interesting! Texas has always fascinated me,its so big! Bigger than Sweden, hows the temperature there?

Hotter than normal this summer. It's 100 or so with high humidity, but it's a bad drought that we usually don't see. It doesn't stop the tennis though. The hottest months are July - September.

Winters are superb. If you check my earlier post in the thread, I talked about it. At least in Houston, you typically get down into the low 50s in the evenings from December to March or so. The other months are warm, but not bad at all.

And, of course, we have the nicest people and most beautiful women too. :-P

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Hotter than normal this summer. It's 100 or so with high humidity, but it's a bad drought that we usually don't see. It doesn't stop the tennis though. The hottest months are July - September.

Winters are superb. If you check my earlier post in the thread, I talked about it. At least in Houston, you typically get down into the low 50s in the evenings from December to March or so. The other months are warm, but not bad at all.

And, of course, we have the nicest people and most beautiful women too. :-P
100 or so with high humidity...wow i would sweat bullets without even moving my butt:shock: Low 50`s sounds great, is the temperature pretty much the same in all of Texas? (stupid question maybe but i really have no idea). The last thing you wrote is VERY interesting...you do huh?

That alone could be a reason to try Texas out...the place where everything is bigger right?:)

IceNineTX
08-01-2009, 06:43 PM
100 or so with high humidity...wow i would sweat bullets without even moving my butt:shock: Low 50`s sounds great, is the temperature pretty much the same in all of Texas? (stupid question maybe but i really have no idea).

Dallas and the northern parts get colder for sure with a couple of ice storms each year, but nothing like you see in other states.

That alone could be a reason to try Texas out...the place where everything is bigger right?:)

Just one of many motivating factors. ;-)

conditionZero
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
With Rice and UT nearby, I think we can lay claim to that title too!

Sorry, but...

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5899/lsutexas.jpg

P.S. Ten percenter?

IceNineTX
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but...

P.S. Ten percenter?

Funny photo. But we still win overall by sending Perrillou over to you in football.

UT has 6 just like LSU and way more victories overall. But it's ok. We love our neighbors to the east all the same. I went to Rice, so add that in as contributing to the atmosphere here.

I guess I'm not a 10 percenter. I have no idea what that means.

conditionZero
08-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Funny photo. But we still win overall by sending Perrillou over to you in football.

UT has 6 just like LSU and way more victories overall. But it's ok. We love our neighbors to the east all the same. I went to Rice, so add that in as contributing to the atmosphere here.

I guess I'm not a 10 percenter. I have no idea what that means.

Rice and UT both have great baseball programs. Don't feel bad, not everybody can be No. 1. :)

pmerk34
08-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I see, thank you very much, i didnt mean to stir up any bad emotions or anything...Why would an American hate America? Every country has its downsides im sure, ive traveled all over Europe, iven been to Asia 2 times,South-America and Australia, but i liked USA the most...once gain,thank u.

wait till you get get here, You'll see and hear it.

conditionZero
08-01-2009, 08:29 PM
wait till you get get here, You'll see and hear it.

You know, there are planes that will take you from the US to Sweden. Just a thought.

フェデラー
08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
new england is by far the best place to live in the US.

Steady Eddy
08-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Thank you very much! Very interesting! Texas has always fascinated me,its so big! Bigger than Sweden, hows the temperature there?I lived in Texas for awhile. Texas IS fascininating. It was its own country for 10 years. Texas is humid in the east and dry out west. The panhandle has a 'continental' climate. Then the 'hill country' by Austin is another thing again. And each of these regions is about as big as many other states. But for teaching tennis, most of the jobs will be in the eastern part of the state. Not many tennis jobs in West Texas or the panhandle.

maverick66
08-01-2009, 09:43 PM
You know, there are planes that will take you from the US to Sweden. Just a thought.

stop making sense. I always wondered why people say its so great to live in europe but never move there. I enjoyed my time there and it was fun. I enjoyed some of the things they did different and hated some others. People need to actually go experience it before saying its better.

new england is by far the best place to live in the US.

not a bad idea. If you can get in to a club you can make pretty good money. You coach womens teams in the morning and juniors in the afternoon. If you really feel motivated to coach you can pick up group lessons in between.

panicfc
08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Have you checked out the USTA website? I haven't, but I wonder if they can give you the idea of number of tennis players and coaches in each state? That might be a good idea for starters. This site may be helpful as well Tennis professional association (http://www.uspta.org/)

As for locations: I lived in New England for six years, its beautiful, but its expensive and for a guy starting his own business, that's probably not the place to go. Plus the winters can be brutal. Did I mention its expensive? ;)

I'm a native of New Orleans - great city, can play tennis nearly year round, but it rains quite a bit. The city is on the rebound, but the last thing that will be rebuilt appears to be the tennis courts - went back this weekend and many of the courts need repair.

Also the USTA is running a contest for the best tennis city in the country. I think Atlanta was in that short list (as was Baton Rouge - Geaux Tigers!)

Atlanta has pretty much all of it and current pro tour player Robby Ginepri lives there and owns a club in the area. He may be of some assistance to help you get your business started.

Atlanta also has a huge airport, and would probably offer direct flights to Sweden for when you want to go home.

Good luck with your search.

Z-Man
08-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I think some good points have been made. So Cal has the best weather, but a high cost of living. The Northeast has bad weather AND high cost of living, but more indoor courts. Indoors has pros and cons--nice you can teach all the time, but bad students have to pay for court time on top of the lesson fee. Florida or Hilton Head / South Carolina are hot and humid, but lots of nice places to teach and lots of players. I think going where there are lots of ladies leagues is a good observation. Atlanta is the league tennis capital of America. Lots of great things about Atlanta, but the traffic can be a killer if you live far from where you teach. Resorts have slow seasons and are more vulnerable to a weak economy than city clubs.

I'd start out by seeing where you get offers. Be sure to ask about how you'd be paid and determine if they offer health insurance. If so, what is the copay for seeing a doctor? If you need rotator cuff surgery, what is the deductible and out of pocket maximum? Most importantly, what kind of turnover has the club or resort had? If your predecessor was there for many years, it might be a good place to work. If they have a new pro every year, maybe the problem is the club, but the pros.

panicfc
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
29 year old athlete can probably get a great policy from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for $100 a month or so.

Steady Eddy
08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
29 year old athlete can probably get a great policy from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for $100 a month or so.Pay them in tennis lessons. :wink:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-04-2009, 03:19 AM
29 year old athlete can probably get a great policy from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for $100 a month or so.
I am not really sure what this means...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Pay them in tennis lessons. :wink:
Lol, yeah you wouldnt believe what some ppl offer you when you are working as a tennis-coach...:shock:

IceNineTX
08-04-2009, 04:45 AM
I am not really sure what this means...

It's health insurance. Blue Cross/Blue Shield is an insurance company. If your employer does not offer insurance, or you end up being self-employed, you will need to get your own health insurance. BCBS has good policies for individuals. My wife and kids are on their plan because it's too expensive to cover with my work insurance (free for me).

It's a topic of a whole other thread, but this is accurate. If you have no health issues, don't smoke, etc, you can get inexpensive insurance. The current trend, and the one I chose, is to get a high deductible plan and use a health savings account. You pay more out of pocket each time you get sick, but your overall total costs are typically way lower due to much lower premiums and pre-tax medical expenses. Again, topic for another thread, but if you want more info, feel free to email me.

IceNineTX
08-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Lol, yeah you wouldnt believe what some ppl offer you when you are working as a tennis-coach...:shock:

Heh. The barter system is alive and well around here too.

panicfc
08-04-2009, 06:13 AM
It's health insurance. Blue Cross/Blue Shield is an insurance company. If your employer does not offer insurance, or you end up being self-employed, you will need to get your own health insurance. BCBS has good policies for individuals. My wife and kids are on their plan because it's too expensive to cover with my work insurance (free for me).

It's a topic of a whole other thread, but this is accurate. If you have no health issues, don't smoke, etc, you can get inexpensive insurance. The current trend, and the one I chose, is to get a high deductible plan and use a health savings account. You pay more out of pocket each time you get sick, but your overall total costs are typically way lower due to much lower premiums and pre-tax medical expenses. Again, topic for another thread, but if you want more info, feel free to email me.

Exactly, or me.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Heh. The barter system is alive and well around here too.
The barter system?? What is that? I guess i could imagine what it is but not quite sure...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-04-2009, 06:35 AM

I see, thanx a lot! Very helpful, im not sick very much maybe once a year but nothing serious, i dont smoke or do drugs or anything like that.

IceNineTX
08-04-2009, 06:38 AM
The barter system?? What is that? I guess i could imagine what it is but not quite sure...

Trading goods/services for other goods/services instead of money. I have received lessons by trading tennis bags, tickets to events, shoes, etc.

I've also heard of much more interesting forms of payment, but I'd just be a gossip for discussing.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Trading goods/services for other goods/services instead of money. I have received lessons by trading tennis bags, tickets to events, shoes, etc.

I've also heard of much more interesting forms of payment, but I'd just be a gossip for discussing.
I see, well thats a good thing i think:)
Ok well u get to hear lots of things

innoVAShaun
08-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Virginia Beach, VA: Great adult tennis community; but still lots of clubs/programs; we get all 4 seasons here. Some decent indoor facilities if you have the money.

But again POLITICS, POLITICS, POLITICS!

Z-Man
08-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Most anywhere in Virginia is going to be nice. A top pick if I was a pro would be the Boar's Head in Charlottesville.