PDA

View Full Version : injured rotator cuffs

KrzyYoung
07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
anyone else ever had this problem? its like a pain on the top of your shoulder, if so i was wondering if there was anything i need to do to help cure it. thnx

dhahntennis
07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
TAKE TIME OFF, and go see a doctor, you probly have to go to physical thereapy but respect it
i had this problem and 9 months later i finaly was better gl.

West Coast Ace
07-27-2009, 03:27 PM
I'll 2nd dhahn - don't self-diagnose - let a pro MD tell you what is really wrong. He/she will know the right solution. It may be just rest; might include some light lifting and stretching. I know - having been there - getting your toss right and NEVER swinging at a ball that isn't tossed in the right location - will help a ton once you do start playing again. Been there, done that - getting into the triple digits again on my 1st serve speed, painfree. Good luck.

TennisNinja
07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I've hurt my rotator twice too. And tennis elbow also, my arm used to feel like a chunk of dead meat sometimes, seriously, that's how bad the pain was. I couldn't lift a 3 lb weight without feeling some sort of pain.

My advice is: Take a break from the court, and ice it a lot! Physical therapy is a waste IMO, because a lot of the information they tell you to do is exactly the same as what you can find online. Lift some light weights to build up strength, be sure to warm up a lot and stretch and you shoudl be good to go.

KrzyYoung
07-27-2009, 08:12 PM
wht if its not rotator cuffs, the pain is livable, if its just a pain, been here for 2 days, think itll heal up soon?

TennisNinja
07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Well it could just be your arm is sore and you need time off. Trust me, I thought the pain was livable when I had tennis elbow, I played through HS tryouts and my arm hurt so bad I had to slice everything, I had to feed the serve in, and had to tap back overheads when I went to the net. Still made varsity and had to drop out of the season, and because I played through the pain which I thought was fine (I had it for a few weeks prior), my elbow was so badly damaged that I had to take a year off from tennis. I really wish I had just not played then and taken a break for like a month or something because if I had, who knows I might be a lot better than I am now. Getting back into tennis was a total b*tch.

KrzyYoung
07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
dang, was it a sharp pain when you applied decent amount of weight to it? or tried to move your arm quickly?

TennisNinja
07-27-2009, 08:22 PM
dang, was it a sharp pain when you applied decent amount of weight to it? or tried to move your arm quickly?

When I hurt my rotator cuff, yes. Like it would be fine usually, and when I served it hurt the most, like a sharp stabbing pain sort of. And when I pressed into the spot with my fingers I could feel where it was hurt.

KrzyYoung
07-27-2009, 08:23 PM
could you do stuff like move your arm/ cuz even if i move my arm normally itll sometime give pain. i reallllly hope it heals up within a couple of days...

KrzyYoung
07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
like it never feels like its on fire or anything cuz some people say if you actually hurt your rotator cuff itll feel like its on fire, mine is just really quick and goes awaay quickly, nver the fire people speak of

TennisNinja
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't know, like I hurt my rotator cuff after my experience with tennis elbow so as soon as I was consistently getting some sort of pain in my shoulder and my strokes were being affected I immediately took time off, because I knew that it could end up being really bad.

I didn't severly hurt my rotator cuff, and it wasn't as extreme as a "fire", but it was pretty sharp and I took time off really quickly.

KrzyYoung
07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
ive never had tennis elbow, are the two related?

princess bossass
07-28-2009, 08:39 AM
1. see the doctor.

2. If it's a pain that comes and goes, and can be sharper when you perform certain movements, you might have bone and cartilage and other "schmutz" in there clogging the joint. That kinda garbage moves around, so it can go in and out of locations that cause you pain. Is there extra grinding or friction on that side when you rotate your shoulder?

I have this problem, and the only real cure is surgery. But I've been holding off on the surgery until I have better health insurance, and in the meantime I just try to keep my shoulders strong as possible, and I stop serving if I'm noticing a lot of pain. I also altered my service motion (and in the process, I think actually improved my technique) to avoid the kind of motion that really makes the shoulder scream when it's feeling vocal.

TennisNinja
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
ive never had tennis elbow, are the two related?

No, but I'm just talking about past experiences with a similar type of injury (overuse injuries). I have had both tennis elbow and a rotator cuff injury and seriously dude, take a few days off.

KrzyYoung
07-28-2009, 12:32 PM
after a few days is it normally cured?

TennisNinja
07-28-2009, 01:36 PM
If it's the early stages (assuming this really is a rotator cuff injury), and you haven't really done any damage then yes, a few days off should heal you up. However, if it really is bad expect it to take longer than just few days. One mistake you don't want to make is immediately go out and play a ton right after even you feel that you're healthy. Take it easy the first time you come back onto the court, then build up from there.

KrzyYoung
07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
if its not rotator cuffs, just a pulled muslce or something, happend 3 days ago, would something like that heal by this thursday? or friday?

TennisNinja
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Depends on how bad you (possibly) pulled it. But yeah if it's just a muscle strain it shoulnt take too long to heal up.

KrzyYoung
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
ok, thank you so much for al this help, im already feeling a little better.