PDA

View Full Version : Roger Cup Montreal - Ticket Advice

winks
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Hello All,
I've already got (what I hope) is good tickets to view matches on the main Court for 1st round matches on Monday. I'd like to stay another day and see matches on Tuesday without spending a lot of money.

Since this is only the 1st round, I like to buy the equivalent of "grounds Passes" at the US Open. To those who aren't familiar, these tickets would let you sit essentially anywhere on a first-come first-serve basis with the exception of certain reserved seats (e.g courtside seats in main stadium etc).

Searching at the official Rogers Cup site here (http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/tickets.php#1) I don't really see anything like this. Would this be "Uniprix Zone"?

Does anyone know - can you buy "ground pass" tickets for the Rogers Cup?

neverstopplaying
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I always have seats in advance for center court, so I don't use grounds passes, but yes you can get them quite cheap.

Also, if people lave during the day, they can give their center court tickets back to the ticket counter and you can then buy them for 1/2 price (something like that). I think this is for charity.

Lots of action on the outside courts on Monday and Tuesday, plus you can access court 1 for no extra fee with grounds pass - no access to central court though.

Enjoy!

West Coast Ace
07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
I always have seats in advance for center court, so I don't use grounds passes, but yes you can get them quite cheap.
So if we go to the ticket booth and say 'ground pass' (in English - Spanish is my second language) they'll know what we mean?

Winks I'm in the same boat. I've got a seat for Monday on Center and planning to go Sunday and just check out the practice and outer courts.

winks
07-28-2009, 04:13 AM

Also, if people lave during the day, they can give their center court tickets back to the ticket counter and you can then buy them for 1/2 price (something like that). I think this is for charity.

Lots of action on the outside courts on Monday and Tuesday, plus you can access court 1 for no extra fee with grounds pass - no access to central court though.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Since I'm driving up for 6 hrs I really want to purchase tickets ahead of time. Given that, where (below) would be the equivalent to a grounds pass ticket?......

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/tickets.php

winks
07-28-2009, 04:20 AM
So if we go to the ticket booth and say 'ground pass' (in English - Spanish is my second language) they'll know what we mean?

Winks I'm in the same boat. I've got a seat for Monday on Center and planning to go Sunday and just check out the practice and outer courts.

It's always fun to roam around and watch all the action going on, but since it's a 6 hrs drive up for me I thought I'd at least try to get some nice seats ahead of time for Monday. The Rogers Cup official ticket site had nothing decent in Uniprix Stadium, but I did find some really nice seats through one of the large resellers. I'm right behind the baseline in Section 122, not front row but pretty close :)

Como tu, para el otro dia me gustaria saber como se dice "grounds pass ticket" en Montreal.

neverstopplaying
07-28-2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the info. Since I'm driving up for 6 hrs I really want to purchase tickets ahead of time. Given that, where (below) would be the equivalent to a grounds pass ticket?......

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/tickets.php

Doesn't look like they sell the grounds pass in advance. however, you can buy National bank court seats for $25 cdn in advance, which will get you on site, preferred seats for the court 1 action, you can stay on site until the evening to view the evening match(es) on court 1, but in the free seating section.

winks
07-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Doesn't look like they sell the grounds pass in advance. however, you can buy National bank court seats for $25 cdn in advance, which will get you on site, preferred seats for the court 1 action, you can stay on site until the evening to view the evening match(es) on court 1, but in the free seating section.

Uniprix Stadium = Center Court, right? What is Court 1? Maybe a diagram of the grounds would help me.

I have seats in Section 122 for Monday AM and I am hoping this is the main venue where the biggest draws would be scheduled to play (equivalent to Ashe at US Open). Would I be able to stay in these seats for the evening session?

The official ticket site (link I posted) makes no mention of any of these options. It only shows 3 price levels, the least expensive is 'Uniprix Zone" which appears to be nosebleed seats at the main stadium.

The "preferred seats" you mentioned sound like a good compromise. Which are these?

By the way - thanks for all the info/help, I do appreciate it.

jrod
07-28-2009, 05:17 AM
You are asking people who are speculating. Why don't you call the ticket office and get the info directly fromt he tournament organizers?

Tel: 514-273-1234

winks
07-28-2009, 05:22 AM
You are asking people who are speculating. Why don't you call the ticket office and get the info directly fromt he tournament organizers?

Tel: 514-273-1234

Because very often, you can get insightful, IMPARTIAL advice from people who have experience with the subject at hand, rather than going to the seller. I thought that was what the "Tennis Travel" forum is all about?

jrod
07-28-2009, 05:25 AM
^^^ True. I have been to the Rogers cup but would never attempt to speculate here, particularly seeing that you are travelling 6 hours to get there. The tournament organizers are extremely helpful. I have worked exclusively with one for several years now and the information they provide me has always been accurate. I travel 10 hours to get to Toronto and 4 hours to get to Montreal and I want to be sure the information is indeed accurate.

West Coast Ace
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Como tu, para el otro dia me gustaria saber como se dice "grounds pass ticket" en Montreal.Muy bien.

... and I am hoping this is the main venue where the biggest draws would be scheduled to play ...That will be the case. Of course you and I will be there for the 1st round - the top 8 seeds have a bye since it's a draw of 56 - the most competitive matches may be in the smaller court. But I'm not worried - we'll see a good day of tennis. Tuesday will be fine too.

Because very often, you can get insightful, IMPARTIAL advice from people who have experience with the subject at hand...And no upsell. Whenever I'm talking to a human being about tennis tickets for the two tournaments here in So Cal, they usually want to sell me a lot more than I want.

counterpunching.com
08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Because very often, you can get insightful, IMPARTIAL advice from people who have experience with the subject at hand, rather than going to the seller. I thought that was what the "Tennis Travel" forum is all about?

Usually that's true. When I called in for info and to buy tickets for Monday and Tuesday next week, I was REALLY surprised by how knowledgeable the girl was. She didn't try to push anything on me, was very friendly and very helpful in general. If the rest of the tournament organization goes as well as that did, we're in for a treat.

jrod
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Usually that's true. When I called in for info and to buy tickets for Monday and Tuesday next week, I was REALLY surprised by how knowledgeable the girl was. She didn't try to push anything on me, was very friendly and very helpful in general. If the rest of the tournament organization goes as well as that did, we're in for a treat.

That's completely consistent with my experience as well. Very forthcoming and honest. I can understand the general concern about sales bias, but the kind of information the OP wanted is precisely the kind of thing Tennis Canada provides without bias or distortion.

neverstopplaying
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Uniprix Stadium = Center Court, right? What is Court 1? Maybe a diagram of the grounds would help me.

I have seats in Section 122 for Monday AM and I am hoping this is the main venue where the biggest draws would be scheduled to play (equivalent to Ashe at US Open). Would I be able to stay in these seats for the evening session?

The official ticket site (link I posted) makes no mention of any of these options. It only shows 3 price levels, the least expensive is 'Uniprix Zone" which appears to be nosebleed seats at the main stadium.

The "preferred seats" you mentioned sound like a good compromise. Which are these?

By the way - thanks for all the info/help, I do appreciate it.

Yes, 122 is best seating in the main venue, however on the Monday and Tuesday, you will get important matches on both the Uniprix (main) and secondary stadium (National bank). Often the main stadium will feature Canadian players (ie. Dancevic), and we will catch Hewitt on National Bank stadium.

Yes 300 is nose bleed zone and you're better off in National bank stadium preferred seats - you'll be very close - much closer than a grand slam event - especially on the early days. Even the free seating in the stadium is very good as you are well seated Behind the players.

E-mail me from my profile if you have more questions as I don't check all my posts that regularly.

BTW, not sure why Jrod is referring to anyone speculating - possibly he's speculating? I've been attending this tournament for 3-5 days every year for the last 8 years.

jrod
08-05-2009, 05:06 AM
BTW, not sure why Jrod is referring to anyone speculating - possibly he's speculating?

Not at all. In fact, I was working with Tennis Canada on securing seating in Montreal starting back in December. Unfortunately, while they were able to construct some event packages for me, the value offered was terrible. The issue is the Rogers Cup is the only show in town and many of the premium seating and packages are already purchased by corporations and local folks well connected with the tournament.

As a result, I passed on Montreal this year. From my perspective the better value is clearly in Toronto. I'll be there next year for sure.

neverstopplaying
08-05-2009, 05:44 AM
As a result, I passed on Montreal this year. From my perspective the better value is clearly in Toronto. I'll be there next year for sure.

You're probably right. Rogers Cup is a very popular event in Montreal and everything good sells out quickly.

However, it's very easy to get great free and close seating to the early rounds at National Bank stadium.

jrod
08-05-2009, 05:54 AM
You're probably right. Rogers Cup is a very popular event in Montreal and everything good sells out quickly.

However, it's very easy to get great free and close seating to the early rounds at National Bank stadium.

Yes, however I was looking for the full package seeing that I'd be coming up from Boston for the week.

The deal I got last year in Toronto was insanely good: 2 tickets for the entire event: qualies thru finals, day and night sessions, baseline seats in the main Rexall court, VIP access, free parking, $500 tax write-off for my Canadian relatives, etc. My son thought I was connected with the tournament organizers to get such a deal. He got to sit next to Marian Vajda during one of Djokers matches and bumped into Rafa while getting his lunch (salad). Extremely well run event.

I can hardly wait until next years event. Hope you guys have a good time in Montreal this year!

tennisnut16
08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Does anybody know where the practice courts are?

neverstopplaying
08-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Does anybody know where the practice courts are?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.533379,-73.628215&spn=0.003367,0.006899&t=h&z=17

Practice courts are all courts except stadiums.

winks
08-06-2009, 04:04 AM

FWIW I did end up calling them at the "Tennis Canada" number posted on the site. I asked about grounds pass equivalent tickets and she said that all tickets are for seats in the main stadium, but valid to view matches anywhere else. She made no mention of National Bank Stadium "preferred seats" (nor does the official Rogers Cup online ticket site).

When you don't have connections, etc. it's always kind of an adventure trying to get good seats to Pro Tennis Tournaments (US Open:???:) so I'm not too surprised. I was able to find something great for Monday and Tuesday will be fun meandering around the action on the other courts too. I am definitely looking forward to it!

winks
08-06-2009, 04:28 AM
By the way, does anyone know the TV Schedule for this tournament? I *think* ESPN2 is covering it but only for the later rounds?

neverstopplaying
08-06-2009, 04:38 AM
She made no mention of National Bank Stadium "preferred seats" (nor does the official Rogers Cup online ticket site).

Here is the link:
http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/tickets.php#6

When I said preferred, this is not an official designation - ie these are the only seats that are sold on this court. The other seating at this court is free with the grounds pass. I did another post yesterday for someone with a google map - look it up and you can see the seating better.

winks
08-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Here is the link:
http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/tickets.php#6

When I said preferred, this is not an official designation - ie these are the only seats that are sold on this court. The other seating at this court is free with the grounds pass. I did another post yesterday for someone with a google map - look it up and you can see the seating better.

That looks like a better deal. If someone only said "scroll down" on the ticket page a little earlier in the thread! :(

I just purchased level 200 seats ~5 mins ago in the main stadium for more $$$, which I suspect I probably won't even use those seats as I'd prefer to be close to the players.

tennisnut16
08-06-2009, 02:43 PM
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.533379,-73.628215&spn=0.003367,0.006899&t=h&z=17

Practice courts are all courts except stadiums.

Do you need tickets to go to the practice courts?

neverstopplaying
08-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Do you need tickets to go to the practice courts?

You can buy a grounds pass on site for a not a lot of money (I always have main court tickets so I don't know, but I figure $10-15)

West Coast Ace
08-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Greetings from Montreal:

Turns out Sunday, the last day of qualifying, was free. Hung out at the practice courts - saw Cilic, Ferrero, Ferrer, Safin, Mathieu, Kohlschreiber, Djokovic, and Roger. Forgot my cable to attach the camera - pics Wednesday...

maximo
08-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Greetings from Montreal:

Turns out Sunday, the last day of qualifying, was free. Hung out at the practice courts - saw Cilic, Ferrero, Ferrer, Safin, Mathieu, Kohlschreiber, Djokovic, and Roger. Forgot my cable to attach the camera - pics Wednesday...

Photos would be great! :D

Haasquet
08-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know whether there's a posting anywhere on-site that lets the public know the practice schedule?