PDA

View Full Version : Suspended for Life

Christieland
07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
So I'm completely rubbernecking here...

What on earth does it take to get suspended from all USTA league and tournament play for life? I was wasting too much time on the USTA league site and saw evidence of this happening. Don't want to bring up specific people or dredge up awful things for anyone, just curious about the generalities of what type of behavior would make such a dramatic decision necessary.

kthxbai http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/later.gif

Cindysphinx
07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't know.

But I know what *won't* get you banned for life.

Remember how it used to be that players self-rated without answering questions on-line about their background? Well, if you as captain go find two teaching pros and have them self-rate at 4.0 so they can play 7.0 mixed and they get caught because people recognize them from the club, you will be banned from being a league captain.

Which means you will have to find other people to be the nominal captain so you can keep right on captaining.

The teaching pros won't be banned. Just the captain.

Lakers4Life
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Hitting an official would be up there, maybe dog fighting, murder, atempted murder, etc. to name a few.

Steady Eddy
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Do you think they can even enforce that? Couldn't you apply for a membership under a fake name? They're not going to put the face on someone banned for life on "America's Most Wanted" are they?

Christieland
07-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Do you think they can even enforce that? Couldn't you apply for a membership under a fake name? They're not going to put the face on someone banned for life on "America's Most Wanted" are they?
Pretty sure if they did something naughty enough to get suspended from USTA play for life, they've made a few enemies in the tennis world and would get ratted out pretty quickly.

Well, unless they've moved into a different section I suppose. Ha.

Steady Eddy
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Pretty sure if they did something naughty enough to get suspended from USTA play for life, they've made a few enemies in the tennis world and would get ratted out pretty quickly.

Well, unless they've moved into a different section I suppose. Ha.
Or wear a disquise. If your opponent is a guy (or woman!) with big glasses and a groucho moustache better check it out!

Commando Tennis Shorts
07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
If you're suspended from the USTA for life, you probably have bigger things to worry about than playing tennis...

nfor304
07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
If your murder your opponent on court you will probably be banned for life.

nhat8121
07-27-2009, 07:55 PM
probably??

Fedace
07-27-2009, 08:02 PM
If your murder your opponent on court you will probably be banned for life.

Yea, if you get the gas chamber, you won't have to worry about USTA tennis, that is for sure. :):)
I think going across the net and landing an uppercut would probably do the trick. Why don't you try it this weekend and see what happens ??:)

vandre
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
mopery???? :confused:

quest01
07-27-2009, 09:16 PM
You have to be pretty stupid to be banned from playing leagues and tournaments in the USTA. I don't know anyone who was actually banned or even suspended from the USTA but I would imagine you would have to do something really stupid.

OrangePower
07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
All you have to do to get banned for life is bet on the outcome of Nationals... and then to make really sure, go to a nightclub and make out with a coke addict.

Lakers4Life
07-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Seriously, I think to get banned for life from USTA play, would probably result from, starting a fisticuffs with any other USTA player or official. I'm not saying that same act may also include an arrest by police or some type of civil suit afterwords, but it's possible. You would have to do something malicious and with pre meditated actions.

It's kinda hard to really Cheat in tennis, though possible, you won't get away with it for very long, but could not be considered for a lifetime ban.

origmarm
07-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I've only ever met one person that got "banned for life". He was banned from USTA events after he was caught at a Jnr event smoking a joint on the "bleachers" while watching a friend playing. It would appear drugs are a way to get banned.

Lakers4Life
07-28-2009, 01:13 AM
I've only ever met one person that got "banned for life". He was banned from USTA events after he was caught at a Jnr event smoking a joint on the "bleachers" while watching a friend playing. It would appear drugs are a way to get banned.

That's kinda harsh, but I guess they are tough against illegal drug use. I wonder if you can get banned for using steriods or growth hormones.

origmarm
07-28-2009, 01:39 AM
I wonder if you can get banned for using steriods or growth hormones.

I would presume so. Interesting though that in professional sport the ban is rarely for life but smoking a joint on the bleachers is considered a life ban. I sincerely doubt that "life meant life" in this case though.

Lefty78
07-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Hitting an official would be up there, maybe dog fighting, murder, atempted murder, etc. to name a few.

Well, if you kill a person in a drunk driving accident, you miss 1/2 season. If you run a dog fighting ring, you miss 2 1/2 seasons. Oops, that's the NFL.

Christieland
07-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Here is how the sanction log reads, and it was actually only banning the person from the section:

"xxxx suspended from participating in USTA [section] League play, at any level and in any capacity, for life."

Joeyg
07-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Norcal is a joke. They have whole teams of players falsifying scores, managing their match scores, and in one instance having people pretend to be someone else while playing at nationals. The only ones suspended got a slap on the wrist for the national's debacle. Norcal originally was going to get tough, but then backed down like the weenies that they are when the players involved threatened legal action.

I don't know for sure what he did to get banned for life, but I heard JM was somehow posting phony match scores and got caught. I also think it wasn't a first offense.

drgreenthumb
07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
unsportsman-like conduct has to sit on the top!

dennis10is
07-28-2009, 07:19 AM
So I'm completely rubbernecking here...

What on earth does it take to get suspended from all USTA league and tournament play for life? I was wasting too much time on the USTA league site and saw evidence of this happening. Don't want to bring up specific people or dredge up awful things for anyone, just curious about the generalities of what type of behavior would make such a dramatic decision necessary.

kthxbai http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/later.gif

USTA will ban you if they find out you also play golf or if you play a real sport like football, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, etc....

Fedace
07-28-2009, 07:40 AM
unsportsman-like conduct has to sit on the top!

I have seen some serious unsportsman like conduct and my local USTA coordinator just brushed it off and tried to hide it under the rug. so not sure if that really applies. Of course, if you go out and punch or hit someone then that is different. and also don't bring Weapons onto the court like Big Lobowski,, that will get you thrown out.:)

burosky
07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Rumor has it this person was banned for life because this person forged the signature of a doctor who supposedly signed whatever document is needed as a proof of medical appeal for a player in this person's team.

Christieland
07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Amazing to me how people can cheat when there's not even any money on the line.

Also amazing when I see players intentionally make bad calls. I played some juniors in high school and would sigh and patiently assume that grown-ups would play a lot more fair. At 34 I'm not seeing evidence of this. Well, for the most part, the people I've met in four or so years of tournament and league play are honest, but it just takes a bad seed or two to make you think things like, "god, why does EVERYONE in adult tennis CHEAT?!?!" http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/laughing.gif

I know it's not really everyone...it's just so astounding when I hear of it or when it happens that it kind of makes it seem somehow more prevalent than it really is.

MNPlayer
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Amazing to me how people can cheat when there's not even any money on the line.

Also amazing when I see players intentionally make bad calls. I played some juniors in high school and would sigh and patiently assume that grown-ups would play a lot more fair. At 34 I'm not seeing evidence of this. Well, for the most part, the people I've met in four or so years of tournament and league play are honest, but it just takes a bad seed or two to make you think things like, "god, why does EVERYONE in adult tennis CHEAT?!?!" http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/laughing.gif

I know it's not really everyone...it's just so astounding when I hear of it or when it happens that it kind of makes it seem somehow more prevalent than it really is.

Yeah, from the comments on this board, you would think every other player in USTA is a blatant cheater. I've played a lot of USTA league and a few tournaments and never run into this. The few bad line calls always seem like honest mistakes. I've had a few opponents with odd behavior, mostly frustration at their own play, which I have experienced myself, but never aggression directed at me.

And it seems to get better at higher levels. The most argumentative people seem to be the older 3.0 women I run into in mixed!

coloskier
07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I know that getting into a fight with a player, or hitting a player with your racket, usually only means a 1 year suspension even if it is considered "assault" according to the law. So I imagine what happened had to be pretty bad.

max8176
07-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Norcal is a joke. They have whole teams of players falsifying scores, managing their match scores, and in one instance having people pretend to be someone else while playing at nationals. The only ones suspended got a slap on the wrist for the national's debacle. Norcal originally was going to get tough, but then backed down like the weenies that they are when the players involved threatened legal action.

I don't know for sure what he did to get banned for life, but I heard JM was somehow posting phony match scores and got caught. I also think it wasn't a first offense.

Yeah, you are right. I have a friend played on his team one year and he told me this wasnt his first offense. He has done a lot of fishy stuff in the past and always get away with it but not this time because Norcal has been on his tail for a while now. He only gets ban for playing league but not tournaments.

amarone
07-29-2009, 09:19 AM
I have seen some serious unsportsman like conduct and my local USTA coordinator just brushed it off and tried to hide it under the rug. so not sure if that really applies. If you (actually, it has to be a captain) raise a local-league grievance against someone for unsportsman-like conduct, the LLC is not allowed to ignore it - it must be put before the grievance committee.

I have seen players suspended as a result of sportsmanship grievances, but not for life - up to 364 days. Why 364? Suspensions of a year or more can be appealed all the way up to national level. So keep it just below that mark if you want to avoid extra hassle.

steebo
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
mopery???? :confused:
That is hilarious