PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Redflea
07-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I am in the middle of a tournament and just found out that my doubles partner has had a friend pass away, and he has to be out of town next weekend for the wake. That's when the Semis and Finals are scheduled. So we'd have to default the semis...wondering what options I may have. I'd really like to play, and my partner suggested getting a sub for him, but that makes me feel a bit queasy.

Options are:

- Default - Obvious one. What I was planning to do before my buddy suggested the idea of a sub.

- Get a sub to play with me. I have a couple buddies who are not quite as good as my partner, so no unfair advantage from the substitution. Curious what kinds of bad things might happen to me (and/or my partner) if I brought a sub, and how likely it would be for me to get caught...anyone ever do that? I've never seen anyone checked for ID at a tournament. This option feels like the wrong thing to do, frankly...I also thought I could contact the director, explain the situation, and see if he would let me sub. ?!

- Contact the tournament organizer and see if it's possible to reschedule the Semi and Final (if we won the semi) matches. Might be able to play the semis Thursday evening before the weekend, and the final any time Tuesday the following week or later. Seems unlikely that is going to work...Anyone every ask to get matches rescheduled? Snowball's chance, or ?

Appreciate any thoughts - my motivation is purely the fun of playing in a tournament, I hate to miss out on this since I don't play many tournaments any more.

Thanks for your (gentle) feedback. :)

Cindysphinx
07-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I haven't played many tournaments. But I needed to fly to reach one such tournament, and the flight schedule meant it would be hard to make the first round match if it were on the first day of the tournament. A call to the tournament director took care of it and got my match moved back.

As for subbing on the sly . . . if you have to keep something a secret, that means it is the wrong thing to do. Just ask the tournament director what to do and take it from there.

OrangePower
07-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I am in the middle of a tournament and just found out that my doubles partner has had a friend pass away, and he has to be out of town next weekend for the wake. That's when the Semis and Finals are scheduled. So we'd have to default the semis...wondering what options I may have. I'd really like to play, and my partner suggested getting a sub for him, but that makes me feel a bit queasy.

Options are:

- Default - Obvious one. What I was planning to do before my buddy suggested the idea of a sub.

- Get a sub to play with me. I have a couple buddies who are not quite as good as my partner, so no unfair advantage from the substitution. Curious what kinds of bad things might happen to me (and/or my partner) if I brought a sub, and how likely it would be for me to get caught...anyone ever do that? I've never seen anyone checked for ID at a tournament. This option feels like the wrong thing to do, frankly...I also thought I could contact the director, explain the situation, and see if he would let me sub. ?!

- Contact the tournament organizer and see if it's possible to reschedule the Semi and Final (if we won the semi) matches. Might be able to play the semis Thursday evening before the weekend, and the final any time Tuesday the following week or later. Seems unlikely that is going to work...Anyone every ask to get matches rescheduled? Snowball's chance, or ?

Appreciate any thoughts - my motivation is purely the fun of playing in a tournament, I hate to miss out on this since I don't play many tournaments any more.

Pity to just default. Unlikely to get the match times changed. Not right to have someone else play under your original partner's name. So best is to contact the director, explain the situation, and ask to have your original partner 'officially' replaced with a sub. I think the director would be understanding given the circumstances.

Redflea
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
You know, you're right. I was thinking the same thing before, during, and after I posted, so I've just sent an email to the tournament director...feel much better just putting it out there and seeing what he is willing to do.

Thanks!

Redflea
07-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Well I got the word back from the tournament director...match is officially a walk-over, but he said to go ahead and show up and see if they want to play for the fun of it. (He tried to contact them but has not heard anything back.)

If we play no-add and tie breaker third set, it wouldn't keep them out on the court too long, and they'd get a relaxed work-out to prep for their final. We'll see...if they don't show, or don't want to play, I'll just enjoy watching the other semi and final matches that day.

woodrow1029
07-29-2009, 08:31 PM
First of all, you can't change partners mid tournament. If you just pick someone and have them play under the original partner's name, and you get caught, you will be defaulted from the tournament, and probably suspended from USTA play for a while (assuming this is a USTA tournament you are playing.)

The tournament director will most likely not reschedule the matches after the schedule is posted. If anything, you need to contact the tournament referee, not the tournament director as the TD doesn't have anything to do with match scheduling. The referee, with approval from the other players involved, may move the match up to accomodate you, but the tournament director most likely will not let you play the following Tuesday as, once again if this is a USTA tournament, he will need to pay the referee to work that day as well. Even though it is a terrible situation to have a friend pass away, the referee needs to make a decision based on what is fair to all players and the tournament.

Your safest bet is just to withdraw (emergency). I am not sure what section you are in and what the policy is, but in my section, I believe you would only get 1 suspension point for that. Much better than a probable immediate suspension for cheating with another partner.

That's my answer from an official's point of view.

precision2b
07-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Options are:

Man thatís a bad deal. They have a rule for throwing up between points and such. They should have some way to let teams sup in a case like this!!!!

Redflea
07-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Get a sub. Don't you know a good player you like to play with, who would be accepted by the officials? Maybe you can play a practice match or a few sets with this person before the tournament.

I know plenty of good players, but he wouldn't allow me to sub, so it's a walk over. Wish there was a sub rule, but that would lead to a a lot of extra work/complications for tournament directors, so I can see why they don't allow it.

We'll get 'em next time. :D

Redflea
07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
First of all, you can't change partners mid tournament. If you just pick someone and have them play under the original partner's name, and you get caught, you will be defaulted from the tournament, and probably suspended from USTA play for a while (assuming this is a USTA tournament you are playing.)

The tournament director will most likely not reschedule the matches after the schedule is posted. If anything, you need to contact the tournament referee, not the tournament director as the TD doesn't have anything to do with match scheduling. The referee, with approval from the other players involved, may move the match up to accomodate you, but the tournament director most likely will not let you play the following Tuesday as, once again if this is a USTA tournament, he will need to pay the referee to work that day as well. Even though it is a terrible situation to have a friend pass away, the referee needs to make a decision based on what is fair to all players and the tournament.

Your safest bet is just to withdraw (emergency). I am not sure what section you are in and what the policy is, but in my section, I believe you would only get 1 suspension point for that. Much better than a probable immediate suspension for cheating with another partner.

That's my answer from an official's point of view.

I wasn't aware there might be a penalty - the director didn't mention anything about it to me. I'll have to confirm, but hopefully we won't get dinged for doing the right thing.

woodrow1029
07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I wasn't aware there might be a penalty - the director didn't mention anything about it to me. I'll have to confirm, but hopefully we won't get dinged for doing the right thing.
Is it a USTA sanctioned event?

The tournament director doesn't have any say in it at all. If the referee finds out that you sub with someone illegally, you WILL be defaulted from the tournament. I am sorry that I can't agree that you are doing the right thing.