PDA

View Full Version : why my slice bh lobs everytime?

wyutani
07-28-2009, 02:44 AM
hi, can someone explain to me to why my slice bh floats everytime i hit it? im using a eastern grip by the way. is this wrong?:twisted::confused:

teach me.

Failed
07-28-2009, 03:06 AM
At first, start using continental when slicing the ball. Secondly, don't use your wrist to add "extra" underspin to the ball because wristing the slice can easily make the shot float up high. Keep your wrist somewhat locked and slice the ball. Slice should be hit from a closed-stance. Here are my quicktips for you.

GPB
07-28-2009, 04:16 AM
When mine flies on me, I realize I'm not carrying my body weight through the shot. Lean into it to help the ball stay low.

akthe47
07-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Make sure you are hitting the 'back' of the ball, not the bottom of the ball. Drive forward through the ball like the above posted said. And of course, make sure you have the right grip. It's not the most intuitive shot in terms of how you swing at the ball and how the ball rebounds.

btangel
07-28-2009, 06:26 AM
bend your knees into the shot and don't come up until after you make contact. Lean into it on your right foot if it's a backhand slice.

jmverdugo
07-28-2009, 06:33 AM
When mine flies on me, I realize I'm not carrying my body weight through the shot. Lean into it to help the ball stay low.

This^^ Lean into the ball.

princess bossass
07-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Hit through the ball. That's what I never do.

aptennis91
07-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I use an eastern grip forehand so I tried out the eastern grip bh slice the other day. With continental, I can keep it low and penetrating, but with eastern, if I do the same motion, it most likely gets dumped into the net.
So in order to keep it from going into the net, I ended up floating them.
It still isn't bad to use against leftys cause it causes some underspin that can jam them, but if you are struggling with eastern, I suggest you use continental and hit it like you would on a bh volley.

LeeD
07-28-2009, 08:37 AM
..as other's said..
And you can hit the slice backhand with continental grip, eastern backhand, even conti with a slight twist towards eastern FOREHAND, as long as you close stance, turn fully sideways, stroke thru the ball, lean forwards, and NOT chop at the ball.
A really good (above 4.5 level) sliced backyhand clears the net by less than 3', goes deep and skids wierd, and the ball has an oval shape, from the extreme slice movement. The underspin can approach topspin spin levels, so the ball can make a audible whistling sound as well. Those backhands are usually hit with a very closed stance, long high to low stroke, back almost facing the opponent, and can be very offensive and requires the returner to really adjust, move his feet, pay attention, and he has to fully stroke thru the ball with proper technique.