PDA

View Full Version : A serious question - Can I throw-up between points?

seleswannabe
07-28-2009, 06:07 AM
I know many will think I'm joking, but I'm dead serious when I ask this: What would happen if I needed to throw up between points? I'm 9 weeks pregnant right now and am scheduled to play Districts this weekend. There will be USTA officials there and the other teams are ultra competitive so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-28-2009, 07:02 AM
I know many will think I'm joking, but I'm dead serious when I ask this: What would happen if I needed to throw up between points? I'm 9 weeks pregnant right now and am scheduled to play Districts this weekend. There will be USTA officials there and the other teams are ultra competitive so I'm trying to figure out what to do.
Good question, i have done it 3 times. But make sure you do it in the corner or over the trash-can,and you have to do it in less than 25 seconds.

Wizard of id
07-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Get some air-sickness bags and maybe even carry one or two (tightly folded) on to the court? That should help with the 25-second rule :)

woodrow1029
07-28-2009, 07:28 AM
This is from the USTA Friend at Court:

Page 111:
FAC Comment III.E-16: What should an official do after a player vomits on the
Court? The player may receive a 3-minute Medical Timeout. The official should
follow the clean-up procedure for bleeding.

Once a player vomits, play can't resume until it is properly cleaned up. It is handled the same way as blood. The contaminated areas of the court must be cleaned with a water/bleach mix that the tournament director or referee should have at the site. Any contaminated towels, balls or other items must be thrown away. If bleeding or vomiting continues after 15 minutes total time, the player must retire. If the vomiting or bleeding has completely stopped, and the referee/trainer is still cleaning the court, the match may be moved to another court. If the total stoppage time is more than 15 minutes and the match can't be moved, then a re-warmup will be authorized.

And, by the way, it's 20 seconds between points not 25.

seleswannabe
07-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks everyone - Woodrow, I was hoping you would see this thread! I know it is an unpleasant question, but I needed to know the answer.

Boy is it fun being a woman :(

origmarm
07-28-2009, 08:03 AM
I believe the real question is should you be playing tennis while 9 weeks pregnant. I'm not sure how it is in the USA but in most European countries (UK, France, Luxembourg, Italy I know for sure), this is expressly advised against along with several other sports due to the risk of miscarriage in the first trimester.

In terms of the rules at the only low level tournament I have seen it happen it was treated like a medical timeout.

Cheers, Orig

tennisnoob2
07-28-2009, 08:04 AM
how about you miss the tournament? you know you're not suppose to drink, have excessive activity, ride a rollercoaster, or any stuff like that...right?

seleswannabe
07-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Well, missing the tournament is not an option. I am captain and if I don't play we default a line. The competitive side in me won't let me miss it.
Thanks for the concern about my health guys - but it's okay for me to play. This is my third child and I have exercised regularly for all of them. I do need to be careful about getting overheated, staying hydrated, falling, etc. When I asked my doctor about Tennis and Running, she simply said, "Be smart about it, but continue only while it's comfortable for you. When it gets uncomfortable, then it's time to stop."

blakesq
07-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Congrats Seleswannabe. My wife is 23 weeks today, and she is still playing. The doctors said as long as she feels ok, to keep on playing. WE are playing mixed on Friday.

Well, missing the tournament is not an option. I am captain and if I don't play we default a line. The competitive side in me won't let me miss it.
Thanks for the concern about my health guys - but it's okay for me to play. This is my third child and I have exercised regularly for all of them. I do need to be careful about getting overheated, staying hydrated, falling, etc. When I asked my doctor about Tennis and Running, she simply said, "Be smart about it, but continue only while it's comfortable for you. When it gets uncomfortable, then it's time to stop."

woodrow1029
07-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Oh, and I got caught up in quoting the rule, I forgot to say Congratulations!

Cindysphinx
07-28-2009, 09:40 AM

First, congratulations!!!

Second, of course you can play! Be smart and you'll be fine.

Third, remember that if you need a bathroom break, you must ask the official. If you just up and leave, you will be defaulted.

It's great that you are still feeling well enough to play. It is not that way for everyone.

Ah, pregnant teammates! I have a certain doubles partner I have played with often through the years. We had only lost one match together, over several seasons. She has a big first serve, weak second serve, huge groundstrokes. In all of our matches, she has only been broken once and that was a fluke. We match up perfectly -- she forces weak shots from our opponents, and I finish them at net.

We were facing a tough team, so I put us on Court One against one of the toughest teams in the league. It was a mess from the get-go. She wanted me to serve first -- uh oh. She kept missing her first serve. And her groundstrokes were off. The real killer was that if they didn't return her serve right back to her, she couldn't reach it. Meanwhile, I was running my head off and my partner wasn't moving. Not at all. It was like she was wearing cement overshoes. I just didn't know what to think. How could her game have deteriorated so badly in just a few weeks since we last played?

After our loss, she gave me the good news: She was in the first trimester, had no energy, could barely stay awake, had gotten out of bed to come to the match, and just couldn't move. Aaah, pregnancy fatigue. I remember it well!! :)

Kostas
07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
You playing singles or doubles?

My wife (strong 4.0) played until about 35 weeks. We just had her two weeks ago and she's ready to get back on the court.

seleswannabe
07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
^^Great story Cindy! I can sympathize with your partner. I actually feel pretty awful right now, but am on medication to help keep me from throwing up (Zofran). The only good news in all this is that I simply have not had the energy to play singles (which I normally play) in the last 3 weeks and have been playing lots of doubles. I actually have improved my doubles game a ton!

P.S. thanks for the bathroom break tip.

r2473
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I know many will think I'm joking, but I'm dead serious when I ask this: What would happen if I needed to throw up between points?

If Sampras can do it, you can too.