PDA

View Full Version : Racquet position while waiting for serve?

JackB1
07-28-2009, 12:13 PM
If I am waiting for serve on the duece side (right), should I have my racquet in a forehand grip while waiting, sicne the serve will most likely be to my forhand? Conversely, should I have it in my backhand grip while waiting for a serve on the ad side? Or do you always wait with a neutral grip and move the racquest with your non hitting hand as you see which side it's going to?

thanks

zebano
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I have found that spinning from forehand to backhand my grip doesn't always end up in the right place but conversely backhand to forehand it's always correct. Combine that with the fact that my forehand return is a quicker stroke and I always set up with my racket in a backhand or continental grip (if I want to chip).

Nonentity
07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Ive always used conti, and went to my forehand grip to return, and slice it if it was a backhand. But you bring up an interesting strategy.

Still i don't think it would be the best idea to start as a forehand grip if your opponent knows how to serve to your backhand.

What if you start with the grip right for the weaker shot, for example, if your backhand takes longer to prep, you start out with a backhand grip.

Or if you have a 1 handed backhand, you can return the serve with a semi western forhand grip, that would mean you can hit an extreme backhand, or semi western forehand without even having to switch your grip!

Of course not everyone uses these grips for their shots, but maybe it is a good idea to practice return of serve with these grips? It would especially be good for kick serves since semi western forehand and extreme backhands have naturally higher contact points.

Anyone here use semi western to return on both wings?

Charlzz
07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
The previous advice makes sense. If you wait in either the forehand or backhand grip, then at least you don't have to change grips to one side of the body. Then, it's a matter of preference whether you find it easier to move forehand to backhand or backhand to forehand as to which one you should pick. Personally, I have it in the forehand grip and switch it to the backhand if needed.

FuriousYellow
07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I start out with a continental grip on return of serve with my opposite hand lightly on the throat. This makes it easier when you're facing players with fast serves and just want to use a block/chip the return. I have a 1HBH and always use my opposite hand to rotate the racquet into BH grip anyway.

Cindysphinx
07-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Personally, I wait in a FH grip. That covers me for FH and also if I am running around my BH (when I'm kinda busy and don't want to think about my grip).

I hit a 2HBH, so I am really used to changing to that grip every time I want to hit a BH.

That said, if I face a big server in mixed, I wait with my Continental grip and just hope to block it back some kind of way.

LeeD
07-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm with the above...
Conti against fast serves for a blocking underspin return.
Forehand against average speed serves and second serves. You have the support of the offhand to switch accurately to a backhand grip.
Most good servers pick on your backhand about 65% of the time, but with both hands, a quick switch is not a hardship against slower serves.

JackB1
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
So I guess there is no "correct" answer. But one thing I got was that it's better to wait in one grip or the other than to wait in between.

Double bagel
07-28-2009, 09:39 PM
For me...continental all the way. My forehand is stronger than my 1hbh, so i like the peace of mind to switching to eastern backhand (one bevel away).

masterxfob
07-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm with the above...
Conti against fast serves for a blocking underspin return.
Forehand against average speed serves and second serves. You have the support of the offhand to switch accurately to a backhand grip.
Most good servers pick on your backhand about 65% of the time, but with both hands, a quick switch is not a hardship against slower serves.

don't think anyone could have put it better than that, so i won't even try :-D

SystemicAnomaly
07-29-2009, 01:05 AM
So I guess there is no "correct" answer. But one thing I got was that it's better to wait in one grip or the other than to wait in between.

True there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Even tho' I've come across a few ppl that prefer to wait with a BH grip, it seems that a majority start with a FH grip. According to the following poll from Dec 2007, a little more than 1 of every 5 ppl start with a conti grip.

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=171922 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=171922)