PDA

View Full Version : So. What's Everyone Planning for the Fall Season?

Cindysphinx
07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
This fall, I'm starting up a new 7.5 combo team. I think we have four 4.0s and the rest are 3.5s. Should be a good squad!

No plans to play mixed so far. My 7.0 mixed team disbanded, and I'm feeling kind of choosy about finding a new team. Got a lead on one team, which I mostly like because I think the captain is a cool guy. We'll see what happens.

I would play 6.5 ladies combo if I find the right opportunity. No one has stepped up to captain my old 6.5 ladies team, and most of the players seem bored with 6.5 and want to move to 7.5.

So I might actually wind up with just one team this fall, can you believe it?

Cindy -- who might use the extra time to paint the upstairs part of the house

OrangePower
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately options are limited when you're primarily interested in singles, as I am.

I'm playing in a local singles league. The one we have here is pretty fun because in addition to the round-robin style 'regular season', there is a tournament at the end.

Maybe I'll do flex league also. But that's less attractive since I view it primarily as a match-making service, and I have enough tennis buddies to arrange my own matches.

Our adult league team is a pretty tight-knit group and we usually continue to schedule practices throughout the year. That's always fun.

If I get really desperate for team tennis I'll join a combo team, but that's unlikely. Mixed would be an option only if... well, no, mixed is not an option :-)

raiden031
07-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm playing 7.5 combo and 7.0 mixed.

Topaz
07-28-2009, 02:28 PM
6.5 combo, 7.5 combo, and tri-level (first time league in this area.)

Cindysphinx
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
6.5 combo, 7.5 combo, and tri-level (first time league in this area.)

Tri-level, eh?

I got the e-mails about it, but I got the impression that the season had already started. True?

I'd be interested depending on where and when the matches will happen. Also, will it be 2 hours or 90 minutes?

Raiden, did you decide you had had enough of 8.0? Do you have your eye on a good partner for 7.0 mixed?

SlapShot
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Planning on playing 4.0, and spending time on the practice courts to get ready for a possible foray into 4.5 next spring.

raiden031
07-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Raiden, did you decide you had had enough of 8.0? Do you have your eye on a good partner for 7.0 mixed?

I would prefer to play 8.0, but have not been invited to play 8.0, whereas I was already invited to play 7.0. I made it clear who I'm willing to play with in 7.0. I have two partners who I think are 3.5s with a 3.0 rating. :)

Xisbum
07-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Ha. Had to get a special "Reston Rating" to get back into Reston Team Tennis, and the guy doing the rating said while I have an official USTA computer rating of 3.5, in Reston I am a 4.0. Then he recruited me - hard - for his current Super Seniors 4.0 men's doubles team, currently in the middle of its summer season.

I told him he was crazy, but he persisted. So I reluctantly signed up and will likely get embarrassed every time I play. Don't think they will invite me back for the fall, though.

What the hey - it should be interesting, to say the least, right? :-)

cak
07-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, summer season is here, and I'm playing 7.5 combo, and 50 mixed 7.0. But with the new rating I'm not eligible for the fall senior season at my club, I'm the only 4.0 senior. So I'm looking for a senior 4.0 team in the general vicinity. Right now I'm hopeful a new team is pulling together.

Topaz
07-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Tri-level, eh?

I got the e-mails about it, but I got the impression that the season had already started. True?

I'd be interested depending on where and when the matches will happen. Also, will it be 2 hours or 90 minutes?

Our tri-level season hasn't started yet...not sure if it is the same one you got emails about. I can send you the name of our coordinator. The NOVA matches will be at NOVA clubs, just like our regular indoor season. I have no idea how long the matches will be, but my guess is 90 minutes, just like all our other indoor stuff.

TennisND
07-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I am pulling the 7.5 team and now we have about 12 members. What is the right number for 7.5 combo team? I think 12 is way too many

Cindysphinx
07-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I am pulling the 7.5 team and now we have about 12 members. What is the right number for 7.5 combo team? I think 12 is way too many

My 7.5 team has 16 players so far, and I have my eye on 1-2 more.

It depends on whether your league has matches the same night every week, or whether the league instead schedules on a variety of days and times.

The smallest combo team I have ever captained was 17 players. The smallest adult team I have ever captained was 16 players, and I about had heart failure trying to avoid defaulting courts.

MesQueUnClub
07-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Playing the local 3.5 roundrobin and playing some social mxD matches with my wife.

Applesauceman
07-31-2009, 05:09 AM
We're planning on starting our own city league rather than play USTA Early Start. Don't get me started on the USTA...

Cindysphinx
08-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Our tri-level season hasn't started yet...not sure if it is the same one you got emails about. I can send you the name of our coordinator. The NOVA matches will be at NOVA clubs, just like our regular indoor season. I have no idea how long the matches will be, but my guess is 90 minutes, just like all our other indoor stuff.

There's something wrong with me. There really is.

I just joined a NOVA tri-level league. The opportunity was there, so I took it. So far, there is only one other 3.5 player on the team. I don't know her, but I know *of* her and she is rumored to be a terrific player and someone I would like to get to know. So I jumped in, having no i.

What am I doing? I should be practicing groundstrokes, getting my oldest kid launched into college, cleaning this house, re-tooling to get a job someday, battling poison ivy.

I am an addict, plain and simple. I need someone to stage an intervention.

goober
08-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Probably will just play local rec league and social dubs. I am have much less patience than I use to have for travel associated with team tennis. I may consider a flex league, but probably won't.

Grover Sparkman
08-02-2009, 07:21 AM
I've got a bit of a busy late summer/early fall (outside of tennis), so I'm just playing a flex league and sitting out September. I'm probably going to start back up for tri-level, which around here is in early October.

Xisbum
08-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I am an addict, plain and simple. I need someone to stage an intervention.

I hear Benjamin Bratt is looking for story ideas. :)

cak
08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Looks like a senior 4.0 team cobbled together from a few clubs is coming together. I will be playing USTA this fall. Thanks momwendy!!!

WBF
08-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Running, lifting, and a little practice. Handcuffed by my (lack of) fitness this year.

spot
08-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Our mens team got too large so we are tryign to a completely amicable team split in history. The team just moved up too high and the playing time at the lower lines got squeezed too much. I am still going to captain both teams and the practice nights are going to be the same- during practice the teams will still be completely merged. The current team will be run as totally competitive from a playing time standpoint. If we have the chance to add a good player then we will. In the biggest weeks we will play the best players. This is a team built to make a run in the playoffs.

For the other team the roster is being kept smaller so people can play pretty much every week they are available. This is a team built for game improvement- the team will likely not do well because if weakness at the upper lines but it should be deep. And in practice we will be facing all sorts of tough competition so that will work out well.

No one has been told which team they have to play for- everyone was given the choice and I did my best to tell people how much they could expect to play on the upper team if they weren't sure. The beauty of this is that no one on the upper team can complain about lack of playing time because they always had the option of playing on the other team. No one on the lower team can complain about being on the lower team because they chose to play there. (note- I don't expect this to actually stop complaints, just that I won't be very bothered when people do complain)

It will be interesting to see how this works. On paper this solves a ton of problems that teams are always facing. We will see how it works when the rubber hits the road. Practices have already started and so far so good.

PatrickB
08-03-2009, 06:33 AM
I'll be playing the club's fall league, USTA flex doubles, Saturday noon "beer tennis", and continuing my weekly ***-kicking, er, lesson as well.

Cindysphinx
08-03-2009, 08:16 AM
[snip description]

It will be interesting to see how this works. On paper this solves a ton of problems that teams are always facing. We will see how it works when the rubber hits the road. Practices have already started and so far so good.

Wow, that does sound like a good idea. It addresses the toughest things about being a captain: deciding how to play the greatest number of people and still be competitive.

Are these teams at the same level and same flight? If so, it isn't something our league will allow, as captains can only captain one team in a flight and the "two player rule" won't allow more than two players from one team to play on another in the same division.

Cindy -- whose old 6.5 team still looks like it will dissolve because no one will captain

cak
08-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I know in our section you can only be on one team per level per district, but you can captain as many teams in that district as you want. So the same guy could be captain of all the teams. I'm still looking for that to happen... The captain is not always a player on the team. And it's not uncommon to see a lady captain the men's team because there are no men that are willing to do it.

I think he was saying everyone picked a team. So each person is only on one team.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out. It sounds like a great idea, but I'd like to hear if it really does cut out the whining.

TennisND
08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
My 7.5 team has 16 players so far, and I have my eye on 1-2 more.

It depends on whether your league has matches the same night every week, or whether the league instead schedules on a variety of days and times.

The smallest combo team I have ever captained was 17 players. The smallest adult team I have ever captained was 16 players, and I about had heart failure trying to avoid defaulting courts.

Cindy,
How many matches will you play? In our league, we only play the total of 8 matches. Thus, each member can only play 4 matches. That's why I think 12 are too many for us. We only play once a week anyway.

dennis10is
08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm trying to set up a Men's 7.0 team. Many of the guys are wussing out on me though citing lame excuses such as parenthood, bad knees, sore hip, bad teeth, bad cardio.

I may just have to resort to plan B and get Sampras, Agassi and soon Safin and Santoro to play on my 4.0 team. They are always willing to compete. Problem is, they are not that good anymore. We can't go to National with them playing 4.0. A strong 4.0 team with extreme Western WW forehand will just blow them off the court. I'm trying to get them demoted to 3.5. I think we'll have great chance of winning Nationals at 3.5.

Cindysphinx
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Cindy,
How many matches will you play? In our league, we only play the total of 8 matches. Thus, each member can only play 4 matches. That's why I think 12 are too many for us. We only play once a week anyway.

We will probably have 10-11 matches this season, so that's 60-66 playing spots. So we're looking at 4-5 matches per player. Fewer players would be better, but having a smaller team means the risk of default gets too high for me.

robby c
08-06-2009, 06:00 PM
10 matches for 7.5 Combo.
16 matches for 6.5 Combo. The captains voted for 2 rounds. 8 would have been plenty. Most players in our area play 2 levels. It'll take twice a week to finish 6.5.
Who needs practice when you have 3 matches a week?
Really glad I passed on 8.5.
Hope it doesn't rain this Fall.
Robby C

Jim A
08-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Probably just the Twilight league we are in now, hoping that this lineup has what it takes to qualify and eventually win District. Otherwise just prepping for the bump hopefully in the fall to 3.5