PDA

View Full Version : Western forehand help

highschoolertennis
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I currently play with a semi-western and trying out western now. Where could i go to see some western forehand hits i tried fyb and youtube and they don't have any video's of that.

firstblud
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
nadal youtube clips?

Raid
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
nadal youtube clips?

nadal does not use western grip, he uses a semi western

LeeD
07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Usually, full Westerns from short guys, who get high balls.
You might want to watch a vid, but more important, you gotta swing faster to compensate for the higher spin you're imparting. Takes more energy, of course.

The_Steak
07-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I currently play with a semi-western and trying out western now. Where could i go to see some western forehand hits i tried fyb and youtube and they don't have any video's of that.

Djokovic, he has a great forehand.

Nadal uses a extreme semi-western, and don't even try to imitate nadal. He uses a very unorthodox approach to the game and I doubt you can reproduce his stroke.

highschoolertennis
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Usually, full Westerns from short guys, who get high balls.
You might want to watch a vid, but more important, you gotta swing faster to compensate for the higher spin you're imparting. Takes more energy, of course.

okay where could i get videos from then fyb and youtube arent being very helpul

lawrence
07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
you need good knee bend on your forehands if you're going for full western.. im 5"5' so it makes it kind of easier for me haha (but i changed to eastern recently)

also hold it with as much of a pistol grip as possible, see if that helps

lodeen
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Jim Courier use full western. He is a multi grand slam player in the early to mid 90's. He now plays on the Outback Champion Series along with other greats like Sampras, Rafter, etc...He is 6 ft plus btw. If you have Tennis Channel on Cable, you can watch him play as they always show the Champion Series matches. http://www.championsseriestennis.com/

He used to use the ps85 and could generate plenty of topspin!

highschoolertennis
07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
still dont know a video with western forehand

wihamilton
07-29-2009, 06:50 PM

I'd stay away from a western -- too extreme imo. Amelie Mauresmo has a really extreme grip. You can check out her forehand here --

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/pro-stroke-library/amelie-mauresmo/