PDA

View Full Version : females

papatenis
07-28-2009, 07:08 PM
anybody interested in talking about GIRLS 18 clay courts or upcoming hardcourts in Berkeley?

tacoben
07-29-2009, 07:23 AM
anybody interested in talking about GIRLS 18 clay courts or upcoming hardcourts in Berkeley?

I'll be going to the Girls Nationals at Berkeley. I hear that this year is the last time it will be held there; they will be moving the event to Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego next year. I looked at the draws and last year's winner, Gail Brodsky is not going to defend. Also missing is Coco Vandeweigh and Kristie Ahn. I'm looking to check out Madison Keys, Sloane Stephens and Asia Muhammad.

10isplayer
07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
kristie ahn, and gail brodsky, got a wildcards into the main draw of the Nats.

tacoben
07-29-2009, 08:56 AM
kristie ahn, and gail brodsky, got a wildcards into the main draw of the Nats.

O.K. my bad...they just updated the competitor list last night and see both Brodsky and Ahn will be there in Berkeley.

papatenis
07-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Too bad their moving it to Barnes, my daughter played last year and she thinks its one of the best sites for nationals.
Does anybody know how sites are awarded Nat'l tournaments?

SoCal10s
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Too bad their moving it to Barnes, my daughter played last year and she thinks its one of the best sites for nationals.
Does anybody know how sites are awarded Nat'l tournaments?

I heard last year,they were so far behind schedule .. some over 3 hours? players were getting crazy waiting all day long..

tacoben
08-04-2009, 07:50 AM
I heard last year,they were so far behind schedule .. some over 3 hours? players were getting crazy waiting all day long..

That may have been the case, as I recall they also used the Cal Berkeley Courts (Hellman) for the feed in consolations. Barnes Tennis Center (future venue) have about 20 plus courts, so I don't think that will be a problem there.

On a side note....

I noticed they keep updating the competitor list for Nationals, and one name that no longer appears is Madison Keys. Anyone know why she pulled out?...I was really hoping to check her game out. I know she had been playing World Team Tennis but isn't that over with?

papatenis
08-04-2009, 09:14 AM
my daughter played berkeley last year and said that it was one of the best nat'l. recently played clay's in memphis, my wife said it was one of worst nat'l. at berkeley, they provided lunch for all players from day one, memphis lunch started after second day, berkeley umpires on each court were much better than memphis, berkeley courts much better, memphis clay different at all locations (some had thin layer of clay) only problem at berkeley was parking, but other than that, my wife and daughter thought berkeley was best. i think they are moving the tournament to san diego is to combine the girls 18 and 16's at the same site, similar to kalamazoo?

tennismom42
08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
anybody interested in talking about GIRLS 18 clay courts or upcoming hardcourts in Berkeley?...females.... aka "skirts" as they boys call them

Barricated
08-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Ya i was at the Berkley courts today!