PDA

View Full Version : So who all is coming to Nats at the Zoo this year?

mtommer
07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Like the title says. I'm volunteering this year, helping out with practice sessions and ticket sales. I've always just watched each year so I'm glad I'll be helping (in a small way) this year as I hit at Stowe Stadium almost everyday so I have an affinity for the place and the event.

tennismom42
07-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Like the title says. I'm volunteering this year, helping out with practice sessions and ticket sales. I've always just watched each year so I'm glad I'll be helping (in a small way) this year as I hit at Stowe Stadium almost everyday so I have an affinity for the place and the event. Many of the 18s players will be arriving by shuttle bus from the National Team event in IL. I suspect the 16s will be arriving from Intersectionals. Otherwise the best of the best is going to the Kalamazoo.

As per the Selection Process List
B18s
approximately 125 of the top 150 are attending, that's 83%
B16s
approximately 120 of the top 150 are attending, that's 80%

(it's approximate because I can't tell if the players with grey circles are getting wildcards.)

That's a very compact group of competitors!

Oh, and BTW, I hear the HEAT will be in attendance.

10isplayer
07-29-2009, 06:49 AM
the intersectionals happened before clay courts not kzoo

SoCalDominates
07-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Like the title says. I'm volunteering this year, helping out with practice sessions and ticket sales. I've always just watched each year so I'm glad I'll be helping (in a small way) this year as I hit at Stowe Stadium almost everyday so I have an affinity for the place and the event.

Ill be there playing. I'm more then stoked

SoCal10s
07-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Ill be there playing. I'm more then stoked

man you're playing everything,I don't see why DF is playing zonals,ask him why? I can see burn out when K-Zoo comes around... so pace yourself... it's not the playing but the traveling that burns you out...

SoCalDominates
07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
man you're playing everything,I don't see why DF is playing zonals,ask him why? I can see burn out when K-Zoo comes around... so pace yourself... it's not the playing but the traveling that burns you out...

Honestly idk why I'm even playing zonals haha. There are some good matches out here though like KC from Intermountain

SoCal10s
07-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Honestly idk why I'm even playing zonals haha. There are some good matches out here though like KC from Intermountain
yeah but i think KC lives there or close by ... so it's no problem for him on the traveling..any way have fun there.. see you at the Zoooo.

papatenis
07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
saw Daniel K. play for the first time this past wkend. He is on a run, could be next zoo winner.

SoCal10s
07-29-2009, 02:40 PM
saw Daniel K. play for the first time this past wkend. He is on a run, could be next zoo winner.

DK from socal ? is gonna beat Harrison and the rest of the pack? I hope so because he's a good kid,but I seriously doubt that it's going to happen.. he's out of his league here,maybe quarter finals at best .. similar results as easter bowl... but I'll be cheering for him all the way..

10isplayer
07-29-2009, 06:14 PM
ryan harrison pulled out from kzoo along with rhyne williams according to zootennis, which is always a very credible source

SoCalDominates
07-29-2009, 07:37 PM

I see what you are saying now. I hurt myself today in my match luckily it didnt turn out too bad but it seems it may have been more beneficial to stay home and train

SoCal10s
07-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I see what you are saying now. I hurt myself today in my match luckily it didnt turn out too bad but it seems it may have been more beneficial to stay home and train

I think K-Zoo is going to be the biggest tournament you've been in so far(I think)so try to be at your best and give all up for next week... take care.. and good luck..

SoCal10s
07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
ryan harrison pulled out from kzoo along with rhyne williams according to zootennis, which is always a very credible source

maybe Harrison knows that he might be getting a wild card for the US open so maybe that's why he pulled out.. I wouldn't be surprised... USTA has ways of making things easy for the those privileged few..
sean berman got another wild card to get in a level 1 nats.,again... this guy has donald young's free ride magic trick...

TennisTaxi
07-30-2009, 06:16 AM
I think K-Zoo is going to be the biggest tournament you've been in so far(I think)so try to be at your best and give all up for next week... take care.. and good luck..

The best advise I can give to you, and all players, is to forget you are at the Zoo...relax, the more you think about it...the more the nerves set in.

Last year, during the second round, my son was put on a show court at the stadium....he never had a problem with crowds watching before but with the stress of being the "Zoo", being on a "show court" with video cameras and not quite sure how to deal with the ball boys, the poor kid looked like a deer in headlights and went down very quickly.

Now that he looks back at it he laughs but at the time it was overwhelming!

SoCal10s
07-30-2009, 06:29 AM
The best advise I can give to you, and all players, is to forget you are at the Zoo...relax, the more you think about it...the more the nerves set in.

Last year, during the second round, my son was put on a show court at the stadium....he never had a problem with crowds watching before but with the stress of being the "Zoo", being on a "show court" with video cameras and not quite sure how to deal with the ball boys, the poor kid looked like a deer in headlights and went down very quickly.

Now that he looks back at it he laughs but at the time it was overwhelming!

great advise,but it's all part of the job and tennis life... if you can't handle the crowd at the K-Zoo ,how are you going to handle the crowd at the US open at night when all of New York crazies are there.. or when they bring out those bongos drums at the Davis cup matches... it's all about entertaining and you better not have 'stage fright' when your name is called on the Zoo's loud speaker.. "carpe diem"--- my friend... :)

TennisNinja
07-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I wish I was going, but I suck at tennis compared to a lot of you guys haha :)

mtommer
07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to be working registration on the 7th. in the morning. Say hi if you see me.

Michael Bluth
07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that Harrison withdrew because he knows he'll get a wildcard to the USO main draw anyway.

Why Williams withdrew is a mystery to me. I highly doubt he's getting a main draw wildcard.

SuperJimmy
07-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I was kind of looking forward to reading about the results with all these top guys entering. Hypothetically, if Harrison knew he would get a wild card, what would be the main reason for him dropping out? Would entering anyway and losing hurt his chances? Does he want to give another player a chance to get a WC as well? Or has he played these guys so many times, that it's just not worth the time/effort unless he can get something worthwhile for winning?

Michael Bluth
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, if I were him and I knew I would be getting a wildcard, rather than playing juniors I would want to be playing some pro matches, Challengers and such, since that is probably better preparation.

SuperJimmy
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Well it seems like Ryan Harrison didnt get a Wildcard for the main draw at US Open. And instead got entry into the qualifying tournament. So while Chase was ripping stuff up at Kalamazoo, Harrison was busy losing the first round of a challenger.

Main Draw Wild Cards:
Devin Britton
Chase Buchanan
Taylor Dent
Brendan Evans
Jesse Levine
Rajeev Ram
Chris Guccione
Michael Llodra

Wondertoy
08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Well it seems like Ryan Harrison didnt get a Wildcard for the main draw at US Open. And instead got entry into the qualifying tournament. So while Chase was ripping stuff up at Kalamazoo, Harrison was busy losing the first round of a challenger.

Main Draw Wild Cards:
Devin Britton
Chase Buchanan
Taylor Dent
Brendan Evans
Jesse Levine
Rajeev Ram
Chris Guccione
Michael Llodra

I guess they misjudged the wildcard picture. He probably would have won the Zoo and made $19,000 for 1st round losers at the USO. Now he has to slug it out in the vicious qualies to break into the main draw. Getting through is much harder than winning the Zoo.