PDA

View Full Version : Too young to board at Bollettieri?

CharlieB
07-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Quick one... Would you let your 12 year old board at Bollettieri if he was offered a scholarship? At what age do you think is appropriate? Cheers, Charlie

flat
07-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Quick one... Would you let your 12 year old board at Bollettieri if he was offered a scholarship? At what age do you think is appropriate? Cheers, Charlie

I have no experience with this. But I'm sure it's more about the maturity level of your kid than anything else.

I was just going to point out that there was an tennis mag interview with Andy Murray. And he said his older brother (one of the top prospects in England) was sent away for training at a younger age...ended up hating it, and his game was impacted by it. So his mom held Andy back until 16 or so before sending him to Spain...

This is all by memory, so don't quote me.

mcutilize
07-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I have no experience with this. But I'm sure it's more about the maturity level of your kid than anything else.

I was just going to point out that there was an tennis mag interview with Andy Murray. And he said his older brother (one of the top prospects in England) was sent away for training at a younger age...ended up hating it, and his game was impacted by it. So his mom held Andy back until 16 or so before sending him to Spain...

This is all by memory, so don't quote me.

ok all wrong

his Younger brother went to do academy or something and he hated doing it. he was like number 3 in his age group behind nadal and gasquet but after being homesick from the academy he dropped a lot.

murrays mom saw that and let andy leave to go to spain at 15

servelefty2233
07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
ok all wrong

his Younger brother went to do academy or something and he hated doing it. he was like number 3 in his age group behind nadal and gasquet but after being homesick from the academy he dropped a lot.

murrays mom saw that and let andy leave to go to spain at 15

No... It was Jamie, his older brother.

mcutilize
07-29-2009, 02:54 PM
No... It was Jamie, his older brother.

really? i always thought andy was older

TennisNinja
07-29-2009, 04:11 PM
No Jamie is definitely the older one.

CharlieB
07-30-2009, 04:32 AM
My son just turned 12 last week and he is at NBTA this week. He was placed in the advanced group and has impressed a lot of coaches with his game. Yesterday the head of recruitment gave a call to praise his game comparing it to some great players that trained there before. Nick Bollettieri is supposed to interview him and evaluate his game today to define the next steps.

I have other friends who's kids boarded at Bollettieri and graduated from there. I think that 12 is a crucial age in a young boy development and he needs the warmth from the family. I don't want him to end up hating tennis because he misses his family. There are younger girls at Bollettieri but he would be the youngest boarding there...

Our gut feeling is that he will come back and continue training with his current coach and perhaps play in more tournaments in the US and abroad before going there on a permanent basis....

Cheers,

Charlie

TennisCoachFLA
07-30-2009, 12:41 PM
My son just turned 12 last week and he is at NBTA this week. He was placed in the advanced group and has impressed a lot of coaches with his game. Yesterday the head of recruitment gave a call to praise his game comparing it to some great players that trained there before. Nick Bollettieri is supposed to interview him and evaluate his game today to define the next steps.

I have other friends who's kids boarded at Bollettieri and graduated from there. I think that 12 is a crucial age in a young boy development and he needs the warmth from the family. I don't want him to end up hating tennis because he misses his family. There are younger girls at Bollettieri but he would be the youngest boarding there...

Our gut feeling is that he will come back and continue training with his current coach and perhaps play in more tournaments in the US and abroad before going there on a permanent basis....

Cheers,

Charlie

Thats great, he must be quite a player. I totally agree, at his age a happy medium is the best. The best coaching you can get while still keeping him with his family. Good luck.

flat
07-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Cheers,

Charlie

No related to your boarding question. But was your son a tournament player and is he highly ranked in the USTA. Just wanted to related back to the other thread about how important USTA is or not.

Your son must be quite a player.

CharlieB
07-31-2009, 07:31 AM
No. We live overseas... He is the #1 in his category in our country. He will participate in the last 2 CONTECA tournaments this year. (Costa Rica and Honduras) and will go to the Orange Bowl in Florida and the tournaments prior to the Orange Bowl (Caselys). The USTA and the ITF (points and tournaments) will gain importance as he grows older. He just turn 12 last week.

Cheers,

Charlie