PDA

View Full Version : Tournament coming up - what to do

sanitarium
04-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Ok guys I have a tournament starting monday and I will be hitting for the first time in 2 months on Saturday...

Any ideas on what I should to do improve coordination/ fitness and get ready? how many hours would you recommend hitting on sat / sun to get ready.

This is the first time i'll have access if youre wondering why I havent been hitting :P

AndyC
04-08-2004, 02:46 PM
depends on how reliable your game is I guess.. the more reliable your game the less court time u'll need. assuming u don't want to get too tired.. couple of hours sat and an hour sunday but it depends on how atheletic a game u play..

after a two month break if I was to play competitively I'd work on the following

serve.. my toss sometimes goes AWOL and if I can't serve I can't play (and my serve is usually a weapon).

forehand.. another weapon n one I'd want firing well.

slice backhand as it's more reliable than my topspin and I use it to attack the net a lot.

volleys especially the pickups and touch volleys.

all with my coach of course :) simply because he pushes me to play that little bit sharper.. generally pretty much the entire repertoire of strokes but paying attention to those u're going to use most.

Mahboob Khan
04-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Couple of hours on Saturday and one hour on Sunday is fine. You must concentrate on playing points and games (match-like practice).

First day: If you get lucky in winning your first round match, then after the match you may want to have another 45-minute practice session working on areas went well in a match and areas requiring some follow-up tinkering. At the end of the day run some sprints on or off-the-court. However, if you are required to play 2 or 3 matches in a day, then the best place for you is the massage table.

Day 2: You may like to practice for about 15-20 minutes preferably on the tennis court prior to your match:

-- Hit some ground strokes : 8 minutes

-- Volleys/smashes : 5 minutes

-- Serve-return points : 7 minutes.

If a tennis court is not available, then find a backboard and try to address the above areas.

Play your day 2 match(es), followed by a brief practice session working on areas noted in the match. At the end of the day, you may want to do some sprints.

Your game plan should be to gradually (and cleverly) bring yourself in some playing shape during the tournament!

Your situation may be unique, but generally players should not wait too long to start their preparation because, "the will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare". "Failure to prepare means preparing to fail".

sanitarium
04-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Ok guys, little update here! 8)

I played roughly 2 hrs 15 mins yesterday, an hour with my coach and I played a bit with a club member.

Today, shoulders feeling a bit sore but I'm hitting at 1 then a lesson at 3 so I should be practiced up hopefully and not to sore for monday :P

PHSTennis
04-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Goodluck, Im in a tournament on Saturday, im on spring break right now, probably going to get rusty, but take it easy today, and you might want to play your coach a set just go get the feel back, pretend its a tournament match or something you need to get back to dealing with the pressure.

sanitarium
04-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Hey PHS tennis, let me know how your tournament goes, along with a few match details :)

Well I hit today, i'm really sore now but i'm taking it easy tonight and my match is at 4 on Sunday so I've got a bit of time,
my strings broke during the last half hour of my lesson so hopefully they can be restrung tommorow morning or i'll hit with an i.prestige the club owns..

But good luck in your tournament phs, for now i'm coated in Rub A535 "Ultra Heat" and i'm gonna relax and watch some hockey.
Wish me luck!