PDA

View Full Version : I need some Advice

2ndserveace
07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
First, a little background. I am a junior of plays alot of tournaments over the course of the year. All of the coaches who have had an influence on my game have all told me that I'm really talented, so I guess that's true. However, i don't do that well in tournaments because I can't get it together mentally to play at a solid level enough. I get angry and frustrated all the time, but I still love tennis throughout it all.

I was offered a summer job that seemed like a dream to me. I work for a coach who has alot of juniors who play tournaments, and my job is just to hit with them. All we do is we go out and hit about a thousand balls, then the next guy comes in and I hit a thousand balls with him. After about two hours of this, then we go into point play or matches or something like that and we play for the next hour. I play my normal tennis schedule outside of work too, so I'm playing alot more than I'm used to.

It sounds weird, but all of this hitting has actually ruined my strokes instead of improving and honing them. My game has completely fallen apart and I don't trust any of my shots anymore. I feel disgruntled and uncomfortable when I hit a tennis ball. I would just say that I'm in a slump, but I feel like more than my game has left me. Usually when I'm playing badly and I'm discouraged, my love for the game is what allows me to beleive that I can go out and fix it and play better. The problem is that now I feel like I don't like tennis anymore, but I'm not 100% sure. I have no idea if I hate it and I don't want to deal with it anymore, or if I still love it and beleive that there's some way that I'll be able to put it all together.

So, I don't really know what's wrong. I could be burned out, and I might just need some time off. I could just be in a big slump, and I'm being a baby about it. If I don't know what my problem is, then I can't fix it, so if you guys could help out it would be greatly appreciated. Any advice on how to fix the problem would be appreciated also.

TennisNinja
07-29-2009, 04:21 PM
As you said, maybe you just need time off. I was completely burned out last high school season, and I also was playing a lot more. However, the caliber of players was pretty low and I got worse because I was not really hitting with players any better than me and I just wasn't progressing.

It also could be that you've fallen into this mentality that you're expecting to do bad. I know that during the season I just was not looking forward to it at all, but as soon as the season ended I went back to playing at my club and really started enjoying tennis again, plus my game improved too.

fruitytennis1
07-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Just take a one week break off from tennis. NO playing, no talking, no reading :about TENNIS!!!

Esti
07-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Ive had this feeling before. I know how it is. Just take a break. Once you start believing again, you'll be back to normal