PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters

papatenis
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
why does the USTA allow cheaters to cheat! my kids are serious USTA tournament players, but it is a sad site when you see ur kids get cheated at local (socal) and national tourn. Example, last yr. at Cal-bowl (level 3) G18my girl played girl frm *******. not sure if it was dad or coach standing 2 feet from the court but this girl (first time i saw this type of cheating) the score was 4-2 in the first set, my daughter was up, first point of the seventh game, my daughter calls score 4-2, the ******* girl says that she won the second game of the set???? come on, this kind or crap happens in the 12s,14s and maybe the 16s but not in the 18's. this girls dad/coach knew she was wrong but did not say a word. quess what, ******* girl does it again in the second set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when she was down again. they had 2 umpires roaming and sitting around when the match started, but one left at the start of the second set, umpire was so busy jumping from court to court, he was of no help to my daughter.
USTA needs to address this cheating problem cuz it really takes the fun out of tennis and cheaters learn that u can be dishonest in life and get away with it. SAD when parents/coaches allow this behavior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coloskier
07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
The only way they will ever combat this is to have roving officials who are unknown to anyone at the court, and the officials have to have the power to actually do something abut the cheating. For example, if it is blatant, they just watch until the match is over, and then have the power to default the cheater. Losing a match by default is the only way some of these players will ever stop.

The 2nd thing that can be done is to find out if coaches/parents are deliberately telling their kids to cheat. If this can be proven, then ban the coach/parent from all USTA events for a year. I know of a few academies that tell their kids to call their lines "tight", meaning if it is close, call it out. there is a lot of pressure out there not only for a player, but for an academy to be successful. For the player it means ranking points, sponsorships, etc. For the academy it means other players who see academy players winning wanting to come to the academy, so it is a money issue.

What it all comes down to is a money issue. I have seen in 30 years of playing/coaching that this situation has not improved at all, in fact it is getting worse. Some of the best junior players in the USA are also some of the worst line callers, even though they don't need to be to win the match. The USTA needs to draw a line in the sand and say that bad line calling is not an option, and back it up with suspensions.

Unfortunately, this will never happen because of money.

TennisNinja
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
The only way they will ever combat this is to have roving officials who are unknown to anyone at the court, and the officials have to have the power to actually do something abut the cheating. For example, if it is blatant, they just watch until the match is over, and then have the power to default the cheater. Losing a match by default is the only way some of these players will ever stop.

The 2nd thing that can be done is to find out if coaches/parents are deliberately telling their kids to cheat. If this can be proven, then ban the coach/parent from all USTA events for a year. I know of a few academies that tell their kids to call their lines "tight", meaning if it is close, call it out. there is a lot of pressure out there not only for a player, but for an academy to be successful. For the player it means ranking points, sponsorships, etc. For the academy it means other players who see academy players winning wanting to come to the academy, so it is a money issue.
What it all comes down to is a money issue. I have seen in 30 years of playing/coaching that this situation has not improved at all, in fact it is getting worse. Some of the best junior players in the USA are also some of the worst line callers, even though they don't need to be to win the match. The USTA needs to draw a line in the sand and say that bad line calling is not an option, and back it up with suspensions.

Unfortunately, this will never happen because of money.
Acadamies are doing this? Wow, that is really really low. Some USTA officials don't even know what they're really doing (well at local tournaments). Once my friend was being hooked so bad, and the official didn't know the rules and said whatever the server said was to stand (my friend's opponent) even after listening to both players' arguments. My friend was so mad he just quit the match.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
1. Was there a scorecard at the court? You should make sure that there's something or someone keeping score at all times.

2. The USTA needs to tell parents and kids that cheating is unacceptable. 1 blatant cheat is loss of a game, 2 is default of a match and 3 means you get a month's suspension from tournaments.

dhahntennis
07-30-2009, 05:02 PM
ok wait till you hear this!!!!

4 kids from my section were suspended for 3 months because they had too many penalty points for cheating and what not, BUT THE USTA ONLY SUSPENDED THEM FROM THEIR AGE GROUPS (14's), so this gives them a reason to play 16's and 18's and improve their game and rankings.

How insane is that

firstserve
08-01-2009, 11:25 AM
why does the USTA allow cheaters to cheat! my kids are serious USTA tournament players, but it is a sad site when you see ur kids get cheated at local (socal) and national tourn. Example, last yr. at Cal-bowl (level 3) G18my girl played girl frm *******. not sure if it was dad or coach standing 2 feet from the court but this girl (first time i saw this type of cheating) the score was 4-2 in the first set, my daughter was up, first point of the seventh game, my daughter calls score 4-2, the ******* girl says that she won the second game of the set???? come on, this kind or crap happens in the 12s,14s and maybe the 16s but not in the 18's. this girls dad/coach knew she was wrong but did not say a word. quess what, ******* girl does it again in the second set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when she was down again. they had 2 umpires roaming and sitting around when the match started, but one left at the start of the second set, umpire was so busy jumping from court to court, he was of no help to my daughter.
USTA needs to address this cheating problem cuz it really takes the fun out of tennis and cheaters learn that u can be dishonest in life and get away with it. SAD when parents/coaches allow this behavior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is her name SA and does she go to W academy Ive seen her do it a couple of times.

papatenis
08-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Is her name SA and does she go to W academy Ive seen her do it a couple of times.

no, KS from Ill.

norcal22
08-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, the USTA does almost nothing to enforce their rules so it really just gives kids a reason to cheat and be bad sports.