PDA

View Full Version : Any College tennis progams accept mediocre students?

TennisTaxi
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, my son can play tennis but he has about a 3.0 GPA...spent lots of time on the court, messing around and not enough time hitting the books. Most of the college coaches who have contacted him have been from private colleges, and are looking for a minimum 3.3-3.5 GPA.

Any of you college players out there get into a decent school with a 3.0? Forget decent..how about any college, is it possible to get into a school with a 3.0 these days or has he totally blown all his chances?

He maybe looking at Community College..

atatu
07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Wow, I find it hard to believe that you can't get into a decent school with a 3.00, I guess things have changed in the last 30 years.

The Wreck
07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
There are TONS of schools that will let you in with a 3.0, and just because they say they have a minimum, shouldn't discourage your son from applying. I had friends get in places with lower GPA's just because their SAT and ACT's were enough. If your son also has tennis going for him, that gives the school even more reason to accept him. He obviously won't get into a "prestigious" school, but don't relegate him to community college so soon.

tennismom42
07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
There are TONS of schools that will let you in with a 3.0, and just because they say they have a minimum, shouldn't discourage your son from applying. I had friends get in places with lower GPA's just because their SAT and ACT's were enough. If your son also has tennis going for him, that gives the school even more reason to accept him. He obviously won't get into a "prestigious" school, but don't relegate him to community college so soon. He'll have to jump through two hoops: University's requirements + NCAA's requirements.

Each University's home page (or their stats on collegeboard.com) will state the average freshman GPA. Trust me, they'll accept lower.

NCAA has a very complicated sliding scale: think 3 columns and you have to hit at least 3 minimums. categories are GPA, SAT & ACT.

For a 3.0 GPA, your son only has to get 620 on SAT or 52 on the ACT. Both SAT & ACT scores are a total composite of the 3 mains (math, reading, writing/English). So your son is fine.

Will your son be a Junior or Senior in the Fall?

My son had some unusual circumstances in HS & had a lower GPA. He still got into Div 1. But don't be deceived. An atletic scholarship w/o an academic scholarship is NOT the ideal route. Get both. There are 3.0 academic scholarships, so your son should be able to get both.

TennisTaxi
07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
He'll have to jump through two hoops: University's requirements + NCAA's requirements.

Each University's home page (or their stats on collegeboard.com) will state the average freshman GPA. Trust me, they'll accept lower.

NCAA has a very complicated sliding scale: think 3 columns and you have to hit at least 3 minimums. categories are GPA, SAT & ACT.

For a 3.0 GPA, your son only has to get 620 on SAT or 52 on the ACT. Both SAT & ACT scores are a total composite of the 3 mains (math, reading, writing/English). So your son is fine.

Will your son be a Junior or Senior in the Fall?

My son had some unusual circumstances in HS & had a lower GPA. He still got into Div 1. But don't be deceived. An athletic scholarship w/o an academic scholarship is NOT the ideal route. Get both. There are 3.0 academic scholarships, so your son should be able to get both.

He will be a Senior this fall. He has no problem with the NCAA requirements, it is the coaches we have heard this from when inquiries were made about admission requirements. Do the coaches tell you you need a 3.5 and then let you in with a lower GPA? Only one coach, from a UC campus, told us they they had some leeway. How does the proverbial dumb jock get into college, are they more lax with football players than tennis players? Are private school more lenient than public or is it the other way around...anyone know?

If you could provide some tennis programs that would accept a 3.0, I would really appreciate it...and I can put him in the right direction.

Thanks so much!!

TennisTaxi
07-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow, I find it hard to believe that you can't get into a decent school with a 3.00, I guess things have changed in the last 30 years.

No kidding, the average GPA for admission to some schools is over a 4.0...honors and AP classes have really changed things. A friend's daughter was upset because she "only" had a 4.2 GPA and only got into Boston College...I only wished we had this problem..lol!

duusoo
07-31-2009, 04:16 AM
Lets all wake up. If you are a scholarship player, a 2.75/2.50 is good enough. Most schools are getting skeptical about High School GPAs, as grade inflation is out of control. Other than Northwestern and Michigan that will get you into any Big 10 school. Three years ago, a high school hockey player from Minnesota went to the U. of M., without even having graduated from High School. The summer that was revealed, he went to Thunder Bay, ONT., for the month of July and came back to the states with a diploma. A 3.0 sounds good enough to me.

sboo
07-31-2009, 04:19 AM
^ That is because those hockey players have insane DI talent, and are most likely going to be drafted/work in hockey after school. If you have the talent most DI schools who want to be competitive will make it work, regardless of the g.p.a.

atatu
07-31-2009, 08:40 PM
No kidding, the average GPA for admission to some schools is over a 4.0...honors and AP classes have really changed things. A friend's daughter was upset because she "only" had a 4.2 GPA and only got into Boston College...I only wished we had this problem..lol!

In Texas, it's almost impossible to get into UT and even getting into Texas A&M is tough. You have to be in the top 10%, you can have a 3.9 and be out of the top 10 percent, and it's Texas Tech for you...not that there's anything wrong with that.

duusoo
08-01-2009, 09:23 AM
In Texas, it's almost impossible to get into UT and even getting into Texas A&M is tough. You have to be in the top 10%, you can have a 3.9 and be out of the top 10 percent, and it's Texas Tech for you...not that there's anything wrong with that.

And the football players? I don't think so!

boris becker 1
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM

crap..... i had a 3.1 in high school went a nationally ranked junir college then to smu for the last 2 years with a 3.3 in junior college....

goran_ace
08-21-2009, 06:15 AM

A 3.0 then is not the same as a 3.0 now, and a 3.0 at one high school might not be the same as a 3.0 at another. GPAs are becoming meaningless because of the way high schools inflate GPAs or use alternative grading scales.

theenrighthouse
08-21-2009, 08:16 AM
There should be plenty of 2nd and 3rd tier colleges around the country that would consider a 3.0 GPA. Especially if he has decent SATs, a good list of extracurriculars, and a solid application + essay.

Obviously it's highly unlikely that a really competitive university will take a 3.0 GPA student (most of the good schools would expect their students to have 3.6-4.0 GPA with excellent SATs), but there are plenty of state schools and smaller private colleges out there that will be happy to consider a 3.0 student, if he has other strengths.