PDA

View Full Version : Roster for National Team event (fka Davis Cup)

tennismom42
07-31-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10769.html

Here's the roster & website for the National Team event.
Competition starts tomorrow.

What a great event for these young men.

Do the girls have a similar event, I wonder"

mcutilize
07-31-2009, 09:35 PM

THATS MAH DUDE MATT OVERLANd

TennisNinja
08-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Haha yeah Matt's going. Tight.

mcutilize
08-01-2009, 12:00 PM
dude r whole pnw team got killed in straights. even manthou got a breadstick and a bagel wowww

TennisNinja
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Danggggg. PNW sucks lol. At least we're better than Carribean (I think that's even worse?).

papatenis
08-01-2009, 04:38 PM
it's amazing how much money the usta has to throw around. did you know that every single boy and girl playing for their section in this team comp. get all their expenses paid for, plus if they are playing in Kalamazoo or Berkeley, they get some of their expenses covered also
usta should spend money building clay courts across AMERICA

tennismom42
08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
it's amazing how much money the usta has to throw around. did you know that every single boy and girl playing for their section in this team comp. get all their expenses paid for, plus if they are playing in Kalamazoo or Berkeley, they get some of their expenses covered also
usta should spend money building clay courts across AMERICA

Um, I don't think so! Where are you getting that? Because my kid is in both & if I can get some $$ back, I want to know where to sign up.

For the National Team Event, we paid our Section.

papatenis
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Um, I don't think so! Where are you getting that? Because my kid is in both & if I can get some $$ back, I want to know where to sign up.

really, i know one of the kids on the socal team, he gave me that info

tennismom42
08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
really, i know one of the kids on the socal team, he gave me that info

please find out & let me know. The only reimb tournaments I know of are the ITF tournaments (higher levels)

フェデラー
08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
how do you get on this team? Top 5 in your area for 18s?

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
08-01-2009, 08:22 PM
F.Y.I.
SWUSTA also paid for everything but flight, but maybe that's because it is an annual trip to an slaughterhouse.

papatenis
08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
F.Y.I.
SWUSTA also paid for everything but flight, but maybe that's because it is an annual trip to an slaughterhouse.

ur funny, "slaughterhouse" who can compete againist socal. they should just mix up the teams to make it just FUN!

papatenis
08-01-2009, 08:29 PM

what section ru from?

VA10S
08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
My son played Boys 16 Intersectionals in Shreveport and is also playing the Boys 18 Team tournament in Illinois. The Mid-Atlantic section is giving a stipend of $350 per event.

SoCal10s
08-01-2009, 08:52 PM
ur funny, "slaughterhouse" who can compete againist socal. they should just mix up the teams to make it just FUN!

1. C. Buchanan (MW)
2. E. King (MW)
3. G. Andrews (MW)
4. B. Bertha (MW)
5. N. Vick (MW)
6. M. Moore (MW)
this a super team.. SoCal may not be beating this team so easy...

papatenis
08-01-2009, 08:54 PM
My son played Boys 16 Intersectionals in Shreveport and is also playing the Boys 18 Team tournament in Illinois. The Mid-Atlantic section is giving a stipend of $350 per event.

wow, thats not much. maybe funding must be determined by each section?

papatenis
08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
1. C. Buchanan (MW)
2. E. King (MW)
3. G. Andrews (MW)
4. B. Bertha (MW)
5. N. Vick (MW)
6. M. Moore (MW)

though my child plays in the girls, i reconize the no. 1 and 2 player. u think socal and ******* are by far the two best boys sections?

papatenis
08-01-2009, 08:59 PM
im a new user, why cant i spell out the MW section??????????//

tennismom42
08-01-2009, 09:02 PM

what the heck? We're in the wrong Section. All I can think of is that some sections have extra $$ to throw around. Our section does grant scholarships. We couldn't have made it without a few scholarships along the way. Maybe they do that instead of paying out for nationals. ???

SoCal10s
08-01-2009, 09:04 PM
maybe my rankings would be
1.So Cal
2.M!dwest
3.Southern

papatenis
08-01-2009, 09:08 PM

girls sectional team event is being held in norcal

tennismom42
08-01-2009, 09:12 PM
what section ru from?

Cost for National Team Event was about $300 per player, paid to the section. From that, the Section paid the team fee to the event organizer. The balance (I assume) goes for the hotel, coach rental vehicle. Then we have to pay for airfare & food.

Papatenis, I don't divulge info that would ID my kid's name (i.e. Section) Makes for less drama for all. Since you're a new user, I suggest you try to maintain some anonymity for yourself & child. Tennis has enough politics and gossip without "stiring the stink."

papatenis
08-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Cost for National Team Event was about $300 per player, paid to the section. From that, the Section paid the team fee to the event organizer. The balance (I assume) goes for the hotel, coach rental vehicle. Then we have to pay for airfare & food.

Papatenis, I don't divulge info that would ID my kid's name (i.e. Section) Makes for less drama for all. Since you're a new user, I suggest you try to maintain some anonymity for yourself & child. Tennis has enough politics and gossip without "stiring the stink."

thanks for the heads up

tennismom42
08-01-2009, 09:19 PM
how do you get on this team? Top 5 in your area for 18s?

Teams are suppose to have 6 players. Some sections bring an alternate. Maybe the 7th man substitutes in, maybe he doesn't.

I've heard the teams are comprised from the applicants on each Sections' Endorsement Lists. (As you all know, each Section has it's own set of rules for each set of Endorsement periods. )

tennismom42
08-01-2009, 09:24 PM
1. C. Buchanan (MW)
2. E. King (MW)
3. G. Andrews (MW)
4. B. Bertha (MW)
5. N. Vick (MW)
6. M. Moore (MW)

http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10763.html

and here's the draw: http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10768.html

Here's the results from today. There were 5 flights won with 7-0 scores. That won't repeat tomorrow.

ChiefAce
08-01-2009, 09:59 PM
The Mid west team is loaded, SoCal will probably win with better depth, but it's definitely a good matchup.

Esti
08-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Lets go missouri valley ! haha i noticed some of the people from there :O

3lowdown
08-02-2009, 04:01 AM
since when has missouri valley been the worst, i mean come on, we have jack sock. But really i never new the valley was the worst?

mcutilize
08-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Wooooo Pnw 7-0 Today

tennislvr135
08-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I was at U of I for the nike tennis camp last week (which sucks btw... if you know how to play do not go there... luckly i was able to hit with the head and assitant coach for u of i and hit with the women's tennis team) and saw some of the guys warming up and i have to say Mid West is going to just kill everyone!

himynameisNIKE
08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
lol @ southwest....

ClarkC
08-02-2009, 06:02 PM
im a new user, why cant i spell out the MW section??????????//

One of the competitors for Tennis Warehouse in equipment and apparel sales is MW Tennis. Because Tennis Warehouse is sponsoring this board for free, they don't want people posting links or references to competitors. "Hey guys, there is a tennis shoe sale at Acme Tennis right now!" etc.

So, there are filters that automatically filter out the names of competitors. Unfortunately, the very common word M-i-d-w-e-s-t is one that gets filtered, hence you see people typing it funny.

tennismom42
08-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Day 2 results: http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10764.html

3 shut outs today.

Noteworthy match scores today:

JT Sundling (SC) d. C. MacMaster (IM): 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-4
G. Brasseaux/N. Pasha (SO) d. D. Kreyman/C. Silverman (EA): 9-8(3)
J. Sock (MV) d. H. Fowler (TX): 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
D. Bermudez (SW) d. M. Mei (NE): 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
D. Ho (HP) d. J. Oothoudt (NO): 6-3, 6-7(3) 6-3
M. Manthou (PNW) d. A. Irizarry (CB): 6-2, 7-5
Y. Pereverzin (PNW) d. H. Irizarry (CB): 7-6(12), 6-3

mcutilize
08-02-2009, 07:31 PM
lol @ southwest....

southwest sucks pnw 4 life

SoCal10s
08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm looking at this event,and I'm thinking.. Why are they having this right before Kalamazoo? pressurized team matches,with high expectations for winning may equal big burn out at K-Zoo... am I wrong?

himynameisNIKE
08-02-2009, 11:52 PM
southwest sucks pnw 4 life

we owned you guys at 14s zonals

08-03-2009, 06:34 AM
SOCAL10s
They must have it close to Kalamazoo, both in geography AND especially in timing so guys can attend both, I think.
With the current economy, at least that part of it make sense.

A quick note...Mcutilze, this is a forum not your telephone,you can write in complete words here-No 1 can rd whatever it is you are wrtng wn u write lk ths, and it mks u lk stpd.

The issue maybe how much can a player extend themselves? Injuries, aches and pains- Just which tournament do they devote themselves to? It would seem like you would not be "showcasing" your best abilities when the schedule is pretty exhausting.

The poster who suggested mixing and matching all the applicants into teams, just for FUN had just better watch their step!!
This isn't for fun, or a reward for a lifetime of hard junior work before college, or getting to know one another for God's sake!!

It's for large populated sections to squash small ones to a pulp.

For most it seems to be all about continuing to try for that 1/4 scholarship to Eastern So.Carolina or Southern East Carolina or wherever, so some February early afternoon when it is sleeting and pitch black out you can put your head in your hands and wonder "How the hell did I get stuck here?"

tennismom42
08-03-2009, 07:00 AM
SOCAL10s
They must have it close to Kalamazoo, both in geography AND especially in timing so guys can attend both, I think.
With the current economy, at least that part of it make sense.

A quick note...Mcutilze, this is a forum not your telephone,you can write in complete words here-No 1 can rd whatever it is you are wrtng wn u write lk ths, and it mks u lk stpd.

The issue maybe how much can a player extend themselves? Injuries, aches and pains- Just which tournament do they devote themselves to? It would seem like you would not be "showcasing" your best abilities when the schedule is pretty exhausting.

The poster who suggested mixing and matching all the applicants into teams, just for FUN had just better watch their step!!
This isn't for fun, or a reward for a lifetime of hard junior work before college, or getting to know one another for God's sake!!

For most it seems to be all about continuing to try for that 1/4 scholarship to Eastern So.Carolina or Southern East Carolina or wherever, so some February early afternoon when it is sleeting and pitch black out you can put your head in your hands and wonder "How the hell did I get stuck here?"It's a team event, no parents allowed to travel. At least that's the way most of the sections do it. It's the passing of the baton... class of 2009 passing off to the younger kids, as class of 2009 did this one last year. There are college recruiters there. The kids take a shuttle to the Kalamazoo on the 4th, after competition. It's a long ride & another opportunity to make enduring friendships. Sure some get tired, sore, injured. They have 2 1/2 days to recover before the zoo. That's competition. My kid says he plays better at the zoo after playing the National Team Championship.

10isDad
08-03-2009, 07:08 AM
SOCAL10s

Funny yet accurate.

08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
The idea of making "enduring" freindships would really be up for debate.

For starts, tennis being an individual sport makes it tough- We train "fun" right out of it from the start- Single mindingly squashing everything in the way of collecting that funny plastic trophy (with the six inch gold player that breaks in the trunk on the way home).

Frankly just look at most players- either right out as personable as turds in a punch bowl, or slow in social skills... That's all fine compared to their H.S. peers and their sets of problems; But "enduring freindships"? No.
They already have their own circle of freinds, and when you hear the way they rag on other players (the example in this thread above about "owning" each other) on top of already being such twinks, I doubt they will be freinds.

I know a few players who get along great since they see and play each other all the time, or are on the same H.S. team, but it seems few and far between-
It does get them prepared to hang with their teammates in college who share the background of a single obsession growing up, and will be their only freinds when they miss out on a "regular" college life- experiance though.

SoCal10s
08-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I know that the SoCal team they sent is not there for socializing.. they are there to win... maybe sections like intermountain or Hawaii ect. are there to socialize because they have no real chance to win the whole thing,I'm pretty sure the top 4 seeded teams are pushed to win because this will make there section look good.. if this is the case,those kids are gonna try to get an extra effort and maybe get hurt.. I don't see the other top 18s seed playing this event..

tennismom42
08-03-2009, 11:55 AM
The idea of making "enduring" freindships would really be up for debate.

For starts, tennis being an individual sport makes it tough- We train "fun" right out of it from the start- Single mindingly squashing everything in the way of collecting that funny plastic trophy (with the six inch gold player that breaks in the trunk on the way home).

Frankly just look at most players- either right out as personable as turds in a punch bowl, or slow in social skills... That's all fine compared to their H.S. peers and their sets of problems; But "enduring freindships"? No.
They already have their own circle of freinds, and when you hear the way they rag on other players (the example in this thread above about "owning" each other) on top of already being such twinks, I doubt they will be freinds.

I know a few players who get along great since they see and play each other all the time, or are on the same H.S. team, but it seems few and far between-
It does get them prepared to hang with their teammates in college who share the background of a single obsession growing up, and will be their only freinds when they miss out on a "regular" college life- experiance though. I stand corrected. That was a female perspective that I posted & is not true with guys. I guess my wine got to my head.

However, I did mean that they could form some (tennis) friendships, to some degree. Most of the adults tennis players I know have all referenced tennis players they knew when they were all juniors. Now they are in business together (in-state, out of state, alma mater, etc.) I do believe that the people you meet through juniors tennis, may be people you do business with as an adult.

tennismom42
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Finals = So. Cal vs. ******* on Tuesday

http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10768.html

Monday's results = http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10765.html

Time to get on the shuttle for the Zoo

tennismom42
08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
The Mid west team is loaded, SoCal will probably win with better depth, but it's definitely a good matchup.M.I.D.We.ST beat So. Cal today in finals

Some match results are posted. They are dealing with terrible rain delays.

http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10766.html

SoCal10s
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
M.I.D.We.ST beat So. Cal today in finals

Some match results are posted. They are dealing with terrible rain delays.

http://www.ustaboysteamchamp.com/_mgxroot/page_10766.html
wow. .. I expected a closer match... SoCal got cleaned in the singles... tight matches but lost most of them,which I didn't expect..

papatenis
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
i heard they had to switch to indoor courts which benefited mid..west. shame

ChiefAce
08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Well done by the mid west team, indoors or not, most of these kids have been playing outside all summer.

tennismom42
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
i heard they had to switch to indoor courts which benefited mid..west. shame

How funny, I also heard that the Cali kids couldn't handle playing indoors.

フェデラー
08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
damn north east didnt do to well i think they need me on their team. :) :) :)

kctennis1005
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
How funny, I also heard that the Cali kids couldn't handle playing indoors.

that makes no sense.....its so easy to transition from outdoors to indoors.....conditions are ideal so no need to adjust

10isDad
08-05-2009, 04:36 AM
that makes no sense.....its so easy to transition from outdoors to indoors.....conditions are ideal so no need to adjust

Don't know if I'd go that far. Most indoor courts I've seen tend to be a faster surface than outdoor courts - in some cases much faster. It can definitely take some adjusting.

ChiefAce
08-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Most indoor courts in the mid west slowed down as courts everywhere slowed down. Indoor courts will always seem to play faster as you have no wind. I don't know of many if any clubs though that play skidding and fast like they did 20 years ago. Anyway, I'm sure the indoor courts didn't hurt Billy Bertha's 130mph + serves, and indoors or not the Mid west team took it. It's funny how Socal has such a big chip on it's shoulder like nobody else can compete with them. There is a laundry list of pro players that have come out of the mid west.

SoCal10s
08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
It's funny how Socal has such a big chip on it's shoulder like nobody else can compete with them. There is a laundry list of pro players that have come out of the mid west.

come on we don't have a chip on our shoulders,,,..we're just spoiled,please note that fact.. nice tan,free everything,"sunshine most the time,and the feeling is layback",and all the other stuff like deep pockets(except a few) to keep the distractions at its most highest.. I will declare that SoCal is the "distraction capital of the world".... USA team couldn't defend at Czech Republic,3 Californians,hmmmm I wonder why..:confused:

papatenis
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
socal has chip on shoulder?, yes we don't get to pay for indoor tennis, we can't take days off for snow, rain, hail, tornado's, hunting season, burn easily in the sun, gain tremendous amounts of weight during the winter months and most of all, wish there were in SOCAL!

tennislvr135
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
F**k yea M!dwest! Michael Moore and King representing Illinois! woot

Gmedlo
08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Ahahaha, as bad as PNW got stomped on, I would have loved to see the reactions of the other players when matt overland walked on the court, or even walked onto the tournament site for that matter. Those of you that have observed his antics know what I mean.

SoCal10s
08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Ahahaha, as bad as PNW got stomped on, I would have loved to see the reactions of the other players when matt overland walked on the court, or even walked onto the tournament site for that matter. Those of you that have observed his antics know what I mean.

come on .give us a hint???

Gmedlo
08-05-2009, 06:33 PM

His warm-up clothes usually consist of steel-toe boots, baggy red fleece pants, a 4xl tall tee, and a new era baseball hat, finished off with a gold chain.

I was playing him at an indoor court during a tourney and after he beat me 1,1 (keep in mind this place has 10 courts in one straight line and the acoustics are very boomy, we're on court 5 as well, so right in the middle) he yells "REPRESENTIN THE NORTH SIDE" at the top of his lungs.

He used to play in a tall tee all the time but I think after pressure from coaches he defaulted to a regular dri-fit shirt.

The-Lengend
08-05-2009, 06:33 PM

see for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-DoCEA7-s

ChiefAce
08-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Haha, alright SoCal you guys win ;)

mcutilize
08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
His warm-up clothes usually consist of steel-toe boots, baggy red fleece pants, a 4xl tall tee, and a new era baseball hat, finished off with a gold chain.

I was playing him at an indoor court during a tourney and after he beat me 1,1 (keep in mind this place has 10 courts in one straight line and the acoustics are very boomy, we're on court 5 as well, so right in the middle) he yells "REPRESENTIN THE NORTH SIDE" at the top of his lungs.

He used to play in a tall tee all the time but I think after pressure from coaches he defaulted to a regular dri-fit shirt.

whats ur name i think i know u. even tho he's a lil "different" hes still one of our sections top players.

SoCal10s
08-05-2009, 07:42 PM
see for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-DoCEA7-s

this guy's crazy ,if he was a pro,I'd pay to watch him.. something different ... tried of all the clay court players...

mcutilize
08-05-2009, 08:30 PM
and hes too short to wear 4xl shirts. i wear a size l tall tee and its just a size smaller than matts

Gmedlo
08-06-2009, 07:26 AM
whats ur name i think i know u. even tho he's a lil "different" hes still one of our sections top players.

search for "medlo" on tennis recruiting, I'm the only ranked player.

You played Brian Pinkard at the Central Park tournament a few weeks back, right?

Gmedlo
08-06-2009, 07:28 AM
and hes too short to wear 4xl shirts. i wear a size l tall tee and its just a size smaller than matts

He informed me that he plays in a xxl but when he's off the court he chills in a 4xl.

mcutilize
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
search for "medlo" on tennis recruiting, I'm the only ranked player.

You played Brian Pinkard at the Central Park tournament a few weeks back, right?

yeah i played a horrible match

first match i came back from 2-5 down in first set to win 7-5 6-4.

but when i played with brian i couldnt keep anything in the court. it didnt help i double faulted 9 times

norcal22
08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Ugh Norcal is so weak