PDA

View Full Version : Best tennis facilities?

tennisnoob2
08-01-2009, 03:52 PM
What school has good tennis facilities to use?

any indoor?

stanfordtennis alum
08-01-2009, 06:23 PM
all of the D1 schools have nice facilities.. stanford, usc, ucla all have nice facilities... all schools up north have nice indoor facilities

darrinbaker00
08-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Stanford, UCLA and Yale all host professional tournaments, so even though I've never played at either of those facilities, I would rate those 1-2-3 (not necessarily in that order) just for that reason. I have played on Cal's courts, and those are top-notch as well.

goran_ace
08-03-2009, 09:05 AM
all of the D1 schools have nice facilities.. stanford, usc, ucla all have nice facilities... all schools up north have nice indoor facilities

I disagree. There are D1 schools (even in major conferences) that have pretty poor facilities. A lot of schools up north go to a club to play indoors and don't have their own indoor courts.

jimwh
08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
The University of Georgia has excellent fascillites for tennis. Has to be near the top.

tennisnoob2
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I disagree. There are D1 schools (even in major conferences) that have pretty poor facilities. A lot of schools up north go to a club to play indoors and don't have their own indoor courts.

do you know the names of them?

do schools in boston have good facilities? (bu, northeastern, etc)

goran_ace
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
do you know the names of them?

do schools in boston have good facilities? (bu, northeastern, etc)

I don't know much about BU and Northeastern. I think BC doesn't have indoor courts and plays at a local club. Harvard has nice indoor and outdoor facilities.

coloskier
08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
UW-Madison has one of the best indoor facilities in the nation and has had it since the early 1970's. 12 indoor courts.

tennisnoob2
08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't know much about BU and Northeastern. I think BC doesn't have indoor courts and plays at a local club. Harvard has nice indoor and outdoor facilities.

yea i looked it up and thats for intramurals. they actually do have indoor courts at their own facility

edit: the madison one is nice, but its shady. you have to pay for a membership(like everywhere else) but an hourly fee on top of that. and its 3 days advance reservations.

pricey_aus
08-03-2009, 03:33 PM
UW-Madison has one of the best indoor facilities in the nation and has had it since the early 1970's. 12 indoor courts.

Thanks alot for that. They look great, IMO

sboo
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
The Baseline Tennis Center at the U of Minnesota is awesome, but between leagues and team practices courts are tough to come by in the winter.

The Wreck
08-03-2009, 05:20 PM
The University of Georgia has excellent fascillites for tennis. Has to be near the top.

This.

And I'm so pumped to be at every single match at said fine facilities next year...

mutantducky
08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
similar thread people mentioned Tulsa

ttbrowne
08-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Tulsa has one of the best in the nation. The shading alone was probably near $500,000.

supertrex
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Some of public courts on South FL is very decent some with Shades and the Net is always maintained. and best of all its free.

ttbrowne
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Some of public courts on South FL is very decent some with Shades and the Net is always maintained. and best of all its free.

Uh, I think we are talking about College tennis courts.

kctennis1005
08-04-2009, 01:19 PM
dartmouth has one of the nicest indoor facilities in the northeast.....won the award for best indoor college courts in 2004.....also have tons of courts around campus( 6 indoor hard, 12 outdoor hard courts, 3 outdoor clay courts)

deddied
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Stanfords maybe. All I know that the ones in florida r ok

DNShade
08-04-2009, 06:26 PM
UCLA - Los Angeles Tennis Center - just used for the ATP LA Open last week is one of the best college facilities around. Great courts - huge stadium courts and nice layout and grounds.

Originally built for the 84 Olympics for the first tennis competition and where Stephan and Steffi won gold.

stanfordtennis alum
08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
dartmouth has one of the nicest indoor facilities in the northeast.....won the award for best indoor college courts in 2004.....also have tons of courts around campus( 6 indoor hard, 12 outdoor hard courts, 3 outdoor clay courts)

would have to agree with him here.. was at dartmouth few years back.. great facility

lostinamerica
08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
University of Oklahoma has the best college indoor facility I have seen. It is brand new. Some alum donated a bunch of cash and now they have first rate facilities. The Big XII coaches all mentioned that Oklahoma has set the conference standard and all said it was the best they had seen at a University.

It is new so the shine may wear off but for now it is quite nice. Now they only need a first rate tennis team to go with their first rate facility.

TCU has a great overall facility too.

fruitytennis1
08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Minnesota has some nice facilities. As some one mentioned the baseline center.
They also have some nice tennis camps and stuff up north i think.

rabidturtle
08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I've been to UW, WSU, and U of O in the PNW.

University of Oklahoma looks exactly like the Nordstrom Tennis Center at UW.

Definitely the best place i've seen for indoor facilities.

duusoo
08-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Have to go with The University of Minnesota. UW-Madison was a great set up, (in the 70's), when I played there. Now, air handling seems to be a big problem, very humid in Spring, moisture on the court, it could use a face lift.

ttbrowne
08-05-2009, 09:18 AM
University of Oklahoma has the best college indoor facility I have seen. It is brand new. Some alum donated a bunch of cash and now they have first rate facilities. The Big XII coaches all mentioned that Oklahoma has set the conference standard and all said it was the best they had seen at a University.

Can't wait to see it. I'm planning on driving over to Norman this year.

OliverSimon
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Yales tennis facility! Thats why they hold the pilot pen there!

coloskier
08-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Have to go with The University of Minnesota. UW-Madison was a great set up, (in the 70's), when I played there. Now, air handling seems to be a big problem, very humid in Spring, moisture on the court, it could use a face lift.

Yeah, I'll have to agree on that one. And they are too busy building new buildings for the medical school, so that won't be happening any time soon.

duusoo
08-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, yet fortunately as the medical school continues to grow, that piece of campus is very valuable. I wouldn't rule out some consideration for a new facility, as the med school is running out of space.

ClarkC
08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
University of Virginia's 12 indoor courts have to be up there with any indoor facility in the nation.

Tulsa and Georgia's outdoor facilities have to be the outdoor leaders in terms of hosting events, spectator seating, etc.

tigerstring
08-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Georgia's outdoor facility is my favorite that I've ever seen. There Facility holds around 5K if I'm not mistaken and is absolutely gorgeous. Right now their indoor is only four courts but I've heard they are expanding it to six for hosting NCAAs. It's also worth noting that all 12 of their outdoor and all four of their indoor are rebound Ace.

Tulsa has a beautiful indoor and outdoor facility though it's one drawback is that I don't like the way it's separated, at least not for playing a duel match.

Texas A&M's outdoor facility is fantastic, really great for duel matches. Their one drawback is that their indoor is off campus, though they don't' have to use it that much.

Ohio State and Michigan both have great indoors as well. I know Ohio State's is brand new, and I believe Michigan's was built in the last decade if I'm not mistaken. If it is older they have done a fantastic job of maintaining it.

Another place that hasn't been mentioned but is one of the best places I've been is Arkansas. It's absolutely amazing, indoor and outdoor.

gocard
08-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Stanford has some great outdoor facilities. Playing there in the mornings on sunny days is absolutely fantastic. I am biased though, since I have my loyalties to Stanford :)

Mdubb23
08-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Combe Tennis Center--Northwestern. Five minutes from my home, and a gorgeous facility.

Mdubb23
08-09-2009, 10:05 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/nw/graphics/combe-tennis-450x293.jpg

ttbrowne
08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Georgia's outdoor facility is my favorite that I've ever seen. There Facility holds around 5K if I'm not mistaken and is absolutely gorgeous. Right now their indoor is only four courts but I've heard they are expanding it to six for hosting NCAAs. It's also worth noting that all 12 of their outdoor and all four of their indoor are rebound Ace.

Did Georgia ever get SHADE? One great thing about Tulsa is they thought of getting you out of the hot 100 degree sun with SHADE!