PDA

View Full Version : I got a letter from Swarthmore College?

TennisNinja
08-03-2009, 07:19 PM
So I got a letter from Swarthmore College looking to recruit me for their team. Now what I'm wondering is if this is a serious offer, or if it's just one of those letters which they send out to a ton of kids. It costs a lot to go there, but they said that the college always tries to meet the financial need of the applicants, and it seems like a decent school (top notch academics, decent team). But, I'm just going to be a Junior this year and they sent me a bunch of contact stuff for me to fill out like my GPA, class rank, and ranking etc. Anybody have feedback on their program and if this is likely to be a serious offer?

JLyon
08-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Think it might be a generic letter for now. I got plenty of DIII letters when I hit Sr Year (Kenyon, southwestern, ****sh, Allegheny)

TennisNinja
08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Ok thanks. That's what I thought it would be, my goal is DI or top DII.

FloridaAG
08-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Of course Swarthmore is an elite small college - extremely hard to get into - so who knows

deddied
08-04-2009, 06:10 AM
So I got a letter from Swarthmore College looking to recruit me for their team. Now what I'm wondering is if this is a serious offer, or if it's just one of those letters which they send out to a ton of kids. It costs a lot to go there, but they said that the college always tries to meet the financial need of the applicants, and it seems like a decent school (top notch academics, decent team). But, I'm just going to be a Junior this year and they sent me a bunch of contact stuff for me to fill out like my GPA, class rank, and ranking etc. Anybody have feedback on their program and if this is likely to be a serious offer?

So did I. Although I'm not interested in their program, im going to keep talking to them as a backup.

dirtballer
08-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Swarthmore has always had a good Division III tennis program. It also has very rigorous academics - similar to Ivy League. If you're looking at Swarthmore, academics have to come first and tennis second.

TennisNinja
08-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Swarthmore has always had a good Division III tennis program. It also has very rigorous academics - similar to Ivy League. If you're looking at Swarthmore, academics have to come first and tennis second.

Yeah I looked them up and thankfully I have excellent grades (3.964 GPA), but because I'm just going to be a Junior and not a Senior should I fill out the contact information anyways? If tennis doesn't end up working for me, this seems like a good place to go to school.

raffi!
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Swarthmore is an incredible school, one of the top private institutions and incredibly selective.

Along with Reed College and U of Chicago, they have one of the most demanding academic programs around; they pride themselves on giving out enormous amounts of work. I applied this year and didn't get in with a 4.3 gpa weighted and a 2010 SAT--but this was a tough year. Work hard, keep playing. If you can get in, handle the workload, AND have a great time playing tennis--then I say go for it!

AndrewD
08-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok thanks. That's what I thought it would be, my goal is DI or top DII.

Swarthmore College has an international reputation and an education from them will open far more doors than one from 99% of Division 1 schools. Unless you plan on being a professional tennis player that should be the #1 selling point.

TennisNinja
08-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Dang, I just saw the list of America's Best Colleges on Forbes and it's ranked 12. I didn't know it was that good.

mcutilize
08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Dang, I just saw the list of America's Best Colleges on Forbes and it's ranked 12. I didn't know it was that good.

ur lucky ben cuz if tennis doesnt work out you can still go to a good college cuz of ur gpa. i suck at school

autumn_leaf
08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
It costs a lot to go there, but they said that the college always tries to meet the financial need of the applicants

i thought d3 schools couldn't give out scholarships? or are they gonna give you loans??

also it never hurts to keep your options open.

TennisNinja
08-08-2009, 08:09 PM
DIII schools don't give out athletic scholarships, they can still give out academic ones.

Barricade V
08-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Whatever you do - DON'T GO TO SWARTHMORE. I have heard so many horror stories - it is more rigorous academic wise than almost any college. Nothing can prepare you for it.

Barricade V
08-08-2009, 08:30 PM
i thought d3 schools couldn't give out scholarships? or are they gonna give you loans??

also it never hurts to keep your options open.

D3 schools say they don't give out athletic scholarships, but they blend it into a different kind of scholarship, so they give out indirect athletic scholarships, though they only do that if your really really good.

Barricated
08-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Ya i got the same letter from Dr. Michael Mullan.
no way im going to colllege in Pennsylvania.

120mphBodyServe
08-09-2009, 01:16 AM
That place sounds evil just from reading about it on this thread.
I want to do bad things now.

jaggy
08-09-2009, 06:15 AM
There is some irony that rigorous academics in college are to be avoided.

wally
08-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you've got a nice opportunity in front of you.

You've got absolutely nothing to lose by filling out the info. You're not commiting to anything.

As you've heard they have an excellent acedemic reputation and a good tennis program.

my suggestion would be to start looking at different schools. Vist them when class is in session. See how the campus feels, do they offer the acedemic major you want to pursue? Meet the coach. See if you and he/she agree on where acedemics fit. Talk with the current players especially those not in the top 6. How does the coach treat them.

dantesinferno18
08-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I got this same letter

TennisNinja
08-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Sounds like you've got a nice opportunity in front of you.

You've got absolutely nothing to lose by filling out the info. You're not commiting to anything.

As you've heard they have an excellent acedemic reputation and a good tennis program.

my suggestion would be to start looking at different schools. Vist them when class is in session. See how the campus feels, do they offer the acedemic major you want to pursue? Meet the coach. See if you and he/she agree on where acedemics fit. Talk with the current players especially those not in the top 6. How does the coach treat them.
Thanks for the tips. At this point my chances of playing tennis for a living are really slim, but I do like playing it and it's just a good experience I guess. Playing competitive sports in college would be a great feeling.

ollinger
08-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Very shortsighted to go to a college for tennis unless you are the top junior in the country. One of my nephews graduated from Swarthmore (computer science and physics), opted to work rather than go to grad school just now and quickly got a job at Lucent for over $100,000. He's 26 now, still at Lucent. The education at Swarthmore is as good as it gets but they put an emphasis on independent study, so if you're not a self-starter you might want to go elsewhere. Campus is gorgeous, train station right on the boundary of the campus for a short ride to Philly, bunch of other colleges very close by for expanded social life.

TennisCoachFLA
08-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I grew up right down the street from Swarthmore, great campus and great program. They also have one of the best tennis summer camps in the northeast so you would also have the opportunity to be an assistant camp coach and play even more tennis with some pretty decent kids over the summers.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
To be frank, who didn't get a letter from Swarthmore?

(Mama) "Cass was a sophmore, thought of going to Swarthmore, but she changed her mind one day"

- California Dreaming.

Dashbarr
08-20-2009, 09:34 PM
All of my friends and I received the exact same letter.

tennisjon
09-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I coach at Drew University in Madison, NJ. I know that we look at many recruiting sites as well as USTA rankings and send out brochures to everyone in the areas near NJ. We also go to Ed Krass' camps to recruit. Sometimes we see high school players at their matches and may send a personal letter, but usually its purely based on rankings and ratings.

Don't Let It Bounce
09-18-2009, 12:55 AM
I had a doubles partner who played at Swarthmore and liked his experience there. If your tennis can get you into a great school, don't dismiss the idea too quickly, and definitely don't dismiss it just because the work would be tough. If you've got the ranking to attract that kind of letter, you've done hard work before.

Besides, the hard work would be only for four years; you'd be a Swarthmore (or wherever) grad for half a century or so.

mcutilize
09-18-2009, 01:34 PM
im 5 spots ahead of him but im a soph shouldnt i have gotten a letter? i got one to this other place but i cant remember what

DownTheLine
09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
I got the same letter they send it to thousands of juniors...