PDA

View Full Version : Andy Roddick on Wimbledon, Federer, his improvement this year.

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Just appeared on "PTI" on ESPN. Here's some quotes:

On whether he was encouraged or discouraged by Wimbledon:

"Probably both. Discouraged short term, encouraged long term. Obviously I was pretty sad and realized how close I was, but I showed that I can actually play some tennis again, and that was good."

On Roger's "I know how you feel" comment:

"He (Roger) said, 'Andy, I know how you feel, I lost last year', and I said, 'Well that was a first for you' (laughs). I know he kinda knew how I felt, but I'd probably feel a lot better about it if I had already won five"

On the motivation for his changes this season:

"People want some revolutionary kind of answer, but I'm just sitting there November last year, and I'm losing ground to not only Federer and Nadal, but 4 or 5 other guys. I certainly felt that way. And it's OK, are you going to sit here and be content with that, or are you going to explore every avenue as far as changing that. To me the answer seemed pretty obvious."

On keeping perspective:

"After Wimbledon, I see people on the street say to me 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry' and I'm just like, no it's ok. Everything's still pretty good, I've always had a good sense of perspective. I'm probably one of the lucky ones and I certainly realize that regardless of that one result"

I'll post a link to the interview as soon as it comes up. :)

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
How'd my thread already get a 1, I just posted it. lol

Serendipitous
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the excerpt! Great stuff from Roddick.

Serendipitous
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM

I just gave you a 5. :)

Lionheart392
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Some nice comments, he seems very down to earth.

Zeppy
08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I also gave you 5 stars for this thread.

I'm glad to see he's really motivated and hungry for another slam. I really want him to win Wimbledon and the AO more than the USO.

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 04:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?context=podcast&id=4377625

Roddick interview is @ 9:25.

adlis
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I also gave you 5 stars for this thread.

I'm glad to see he's really motivated and hungry for another slam. I really want him to win Wimbledon and the AO more than the USO.

I gave 1 star becuz roddick is a tool.

P_Agony
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Good comments by Andy. I'm glad he's confident.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy for meeting Federer in so many slam semis and finals. Hopefully he does well at the Open and the MS events before that.

woodrow1029
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
And I can see that you are very, very mature.

P_Agony
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM

You sir, are what we call a troll. Congrats.

adlis
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
You sir, are what we call a hero. Congrats.

A Video for all the roddick apologist bigots like yourself P_Agony to watch..roddick verbally abusing a line judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6_UTPDO9s&fmt=18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6_UTPDO9s&fmt=18)

VivalaVida
08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I wouldnt call him a troll. He just said he doesnt like Roddick.

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 04:36 PM
We all know Roddick can be rude to chair umpires at times. No need to bring that up in a thread where he's discussing the great season he's had so far.

He's also done tons of work for charity and helps the game of tennis grow here in America. I'm pretty sure you don't know Roddick personally to be calling him a tool, so leave the hate out of this thread.

adlis
08-04-2009, 04:44 PM
We all know Roddick can be rude to chair umpires at times. No need to bring that up in a thread where he's discussing the great season he's had so far.

He's also done tons of work for charity and helps the game of tennis grow here in America. I'm pretty sure you don't know Roddick personally to be calling him a tool, so leave the hate out of this thread.

You mean his tax friendly foundation?

JeMar
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM

To be fair, Andy Roddick does have a pretty illustrious background of ******baggery.

Giving away someone else's tickets without incurring any cost yourself is a nice touch, but certainly not enough to make up for the abuse he's dished out over the years.

mzzmuaa
08-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Yea, he's an *******.

FD3S
08-04-2009, 06:53 PM

See, Roddick can't win here. He gives a lot to charity, people say he only does it to reap the tax benefits. Now, let's say he doesn't do anything for charity at all...

Well, I can't say for sure what would happen, but considering how many people seem determined to hate Roddick already solely for his (admittedly boorish, childish, and generally jerkish) umpire tirades, I'd say there'd at least be some effigy burning.

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 06:56 PM
See, Roddick can't win here. He gives a lot to charity, people say he only does it to reap the tax benefits. Now, let's say he doesn't do anything for charity at all...

Well, I can't say for sure what would happen, but considering how many people seem determined to hate Roddick already solely for his (admittedly boorish, childish, and generally jerkish) umpire tirades, I'd say there'd at least be some effigy burning.

Not most people. Only some idiots are cynical enough to think all celebrities that give to charity are doing it for tax reasons alone.

drakulie
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Roddick is such a *******.

FD3S
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Not most people. Only some idiots are cynical enough to think all celebrities that give to charity are doing it for tax reasons alone.

Oh, you'd be surprised :)

Seriously though, I've noticed that most of Roddick haters either choose not to address the good things he does, or they chalk them up to something else. I'm not exactly holding it against them (even as a fan, I've found some of his tantrums to be disgusting) but it's still irksome.

jjrl2004
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Some nice comments, he seems very down to earth.

He always has been :)

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh, you'd be surprised :)

Seriously though, I've noticed that most of Roddick haters either choose not to address the good things he does, or they chalk them up to something else. I'm not exactly holding it against them (even as a fan, I've found some of his tantrums to be disgusting) but it's still irksome.

The same thing happens w/ all athletes in all sports really. No matter what, there's going to be people that hate someone and thinks everything they do, good or bad, is wrong and fail to give credit for the good while highlighting the bad.

You see it on here w/ Federer, Nadal, Murray, the Williams sisters, etc.

FD3S
08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
The same thing happens w/ all athletes in all sports really. No matter what, there's going to be people that hate someone and thinks everything they do, good or bad, is wrong and fail to give credit for the good while highlighting the bad.

You see it on here w/ Federer, Nadal, Murray, the Williams sisters, etc.

True enough, man. Damn shame, too.

icedevil0289
08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
thanks. lmao@ the mailman and the changing of the shirt comment.

sh@de
08-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Oooh thanks jbf#1.

egn
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Good luck to Andy. I hope he stays around for a while more. As much as I hate him he does have a great serve and would love to see him do damage at the US Open. I hope he eventually gets that wimbledon he has tried so hard to get.

Conquistador
08-04-2009, 08:46 PM
roddick has always had a big ego, but there is something that we all love about him--he is as honest as anyone out there-roddick can be a jerk sometimes--but he is starting to learn everyday about being as respectful and gracious as he is becoming. Hats off to roddick-he has turned the page.

Joseph L. Barrow
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPch2IJOpw
Watch 0:22 through 0:26 of this and see if you can honestly say you think Roddick's charity foundation (which has put out more money towards helping sick children than the sum total of Roddick's prize winnings in his entire tennis career) is for the purpose of dodging taxes.

World Beater
08-04-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPch2IJOpw
Watch 0:22 through 0:26 of this and see if you can honestly say you think Roddick's charity foundation (which has put out more money towards helping sick children than the sum total of Roddick's prize winnings in his entire tennis career) is for the purpose of dodging taxes.

lets say that roddick's main concern was for dodging taxes...the questions is...should we care?

the sick children are still being helped and that is what matters in the end.

the incentive for tax breaks is to invite more people to give back to charity...thats the point!!!

World Beater
08-04-2009, 10:06 PM
respect to roddick and hewitt...these guys keep fighting even if they are getting beaten most of the time.

have to admire their fighting spirit.

DownTheLine
08-04-2009, 10:07 PM

I gave you a 5 to make you feel better.:)

mzzmuaa
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
federer doesn't play dc for his country, doesn't serve in military for his country, doesn't win olympic singles for his country and now he doesn't pay taxes to his country because of his foundation.

pow
08-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Roddick actually made this final a close one when nobody believed in him. Nike already printed 15 on Federer's clothes before it was over. Roddick showed real heart this year.

Voted 5 stars to push it over the edge... :)

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the rating guys.

BTW, I wasn't PO'ed about the one star. Just found it weird that someone could rate a non tardish thread 1 star after one post. Oh well, I guess someone on here really hates Roddick obviously. :rolleyes:

raffi!
08-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Why would someone as wealthy as Roddick begin an entire foundation for the sole reason of avoiding taxes?

jamesblakefan#1
08-04-2009, 11:23 PM
If he really wanted to avoid taxes that badly, he could just by a home in Monaco like so many others (Fed, Djokovic, Henin, too many to mention) do. End of discussion.

allcourter2008
08-04-2009, 11:43 PM
federer doesn't play dc for his country, doesn't serve in military for his country, doesn't win olympic singles for his country and now he doesn't pay taxes to his country because of his foundation.
he is swiss, through and through
You sure like stereotypes, don't you?

Let me guess, you're a "typical" american.
Obviously very proud of the "American Empire" with its big army and heaps of social problems. That must be the reasony why you, just like your country, start (flame)wars all the time, unfortunatly, like your country, you probably haven't won such a war in 60 years.

American, through and through. Do you need a bailout? :)

Back to to your post, Federer didn't play DC often, but it's not suprising considering that Switzerland was a one-man team for the last 6-7 years, only now we've a second man to rely on.

And who cares about military anway these days?
In case you don't know, it isn't cheap to avoid military service in Switzerland.
So you're actually doing the country a favour by paying, instead of using tax money for training and equipment that is never going to be used anway.

Federer did win a olympic gold medal for Switzerland, it was in doubles, but a gold medal is just that.

And why the hell to you think he doesn't pay taxes?
I'm swiss and I live just 1.5 miles from Federer's new place where he's paying his taxes.
But he wouldn't need to do that at all, he could just officially "live" in Monaco or Dubai where he pays nothing. A lot of tennis players do that.

dragonfire
08-05-2009, 01:28 AM
If he really wanted to avoid taxes that badly, he could just by a home in Monaco like so many others (Fed, Djokovic, Henin, too many to mention) do. End of discussion.

why monaco??

jamesblakefan#1
08-05-2009, 01:32 AM
why monaco??

No income tax.

dragonfire
08-05-2009, 01:34 AM
No income tax.

thanks, i know where i'm living when im older

mandy01
08-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Roddick is such a *******.
How arrogant of him to be one :lol:

batz
08-05-2009, 01:57 AM
thanks, i know where i'm living when im older

Not unless you're a millionaire you're not. They won't give you residency.

dragonfire
08-05-2009, 02:08 AM
anyone can become a millionaire, most people don't try

batz
08-05-2009, 02:27 AM
anyone can become a millionaire, most people don't try

Anyone can become a millionaire but relatively few do. Good luck with it.

dragonfire
08-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Anyone can become a millionaire but relatively few do. Good luck with it.

Thankyou very much

adlis
08-05-2009, 05:38 AM

Hold on a minute there Wesley snipes. You know that Americans cannot tax avoid by changing residence to another country like Monaco right?

To counter this they have their so-called foundations and cayman island bank accounts with it's huge tax benefits.

jevonclyde
08-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Just appeared on "PTI" on ESPN. Here's some quotes:

On whether he was encouraged or discouraged by Wimbledon:

"Probably both. Discouraged short term, encouraged long term. Obviously I was pretty sad and realized how close I was, but I showed that I can actually play some tennis again, and that was good."

On Roger's "I know how you feel" comment:

"He (Roger) said, 'Andy, I know how you feel, I lost last year', and I said, 'Well that was a first for you' (laughs). I know he kinda knew how I felt, but I'd probably feel a lot better about it if I had already won five"

On the motivation for his changes this season:

"People want some revolutionary kind of answer, but I'm just sitting there November last year, and I'm losing ground to not only Federer and Nadal, but 4 or 5 other guys. I certainly felt that way. And it's OK, are you going to sit here and be content with that, or are you going to explore every avenue as far as changing that. To me the answer seemed pretty obvious."

On keeping perspective:

"After Wimbledon, I see people on the street say to me 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry' and I'm just like, no it's ok. Everything's still pretty good, I've always had a good sense of perspective. I'm probably one of the lucky ones and I certainly realize that regardless of that one result"

I'll post a link to the interview as soon as it comes up. :)

Nice post. Roddick is some character. Very human, very down to earth, well spoken and (at times) very funny.

jamesblakefan#1
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Here's vid of the interview, BTW.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/

tangerine
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Classy interview by Andy. No pretenses, very honest as always. Him teasing Tony Kornheiser was an added bonus. :lol:

Andy will be on the David Letterman show Aug 27, btw. :cool: