PDA

View Full Version : The Top ten ATP Backhand Strokes

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Is it Just me or is the one handed backhand not as popular as the olden days? Out of the ATP top 10 there is only one player who uses the one handed back hand. Back then we had Johnny Mac, Pete Sampras, Stephan Edberg, Ivan Lendl etc. they all played the one hand. Can some one tell me why its not as "popular" anymore? I mean at my academy all the coaches always say "keep both of your hands on that back hand!". Almost no one uses it anymore. :confused::(

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Is it Just me or is the one handed backhand not as popular as the olden days? Out of the ATP top 10 there is only one player who uses the one handed back hand. Back then we had Johnny Mac, Pete Sampras, Stephan Edberg, Ivan Lendl etc. they all played the one hand. Can some one tell me why its not as "popular" anymore? I mean at my academy all the coaches always say "keep both of your hands on that back hand!". Almost no one uses it anymore. :confused::(
Usually serve and volley players are playing with onehanded-backhands since its easier with that style of play-the courts has been slowing down- the serve and volley players are a dying specie.

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Usually serve and volley players are playing with onehanded-backhands since its easier with that style of play-the courts has been slowing down- the serve and volley players are a dying specie.

true dat
10 char

sh@de
08-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Because the two hander is easier to learn, and is probably actually a better stroke in competition amongst youngsters because of the better stability. Of course, if you're willing to work and sacrifice early results to trade for a solid one hander, eventually, the two backhands can be similarly effective, but most people choose the easier route, and once they start with two hands, they stick with it = most atp pros these days have two handed backhands.

big bang
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
real men hits one handed:) anything else is for chicks LOL

drakulie
08-05-2009, 07:32 AM
The one-handed backhand, although an easier to stroke in terms of mechanics compared to the two-hander, is harder because of the leverage. It is easier to use both hands to gain leverage and move the racquet thru the contact zone.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
I played a 2-handed backhand until i was 21, then i started playing with one-handed backhand (but used my slice 80% off the time on the backhand-side), i had some terrible results until i was 24-25 then it all started to work and i got to 1100 in the world in singles and 1000 in the world in doubles, but it is A LOT OFF work, its a difficult shot.

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
you do have to time it better for the one hander...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 07:57 AM
you do have to time it better for the one hander...
Absolutely, and your reach improves.

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
yeah i guess i got go work on my fore arm. Play boy magazine FTW!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 08:15 AM
yeah i guess i got go work on my fore arm. Play boy magazine FTW!
Lol, i dont recomend that, what i do recomend is that you do the one handed-backhand motion with a rubber-band 75-100 times a day (with ur racket in ur hand of course) and it will improve A LOT.

drwood
08-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Absolutely, and your reach improves.

Advantages of a one-handed BH are:
1. Easier to transition to the net and hit BH volleys
2. More reach than two-handed BH
3. Much better disguise for a BH dropshot (obviously, Fed is the master at this; Agassi was the master for the two-handed BH dropshot, but even he didn't have the disguise that Fed does)
4. Much easier to put slice on the ball (even two-handers like Roddick use one hand when putting slice on the backhand)

Disadvantages:
1. More strain on elbow
2. Much harder to hit topspin off BH wing consistently
3. Can't generate as much pace off of the high ball as you can with a two-hander (this is why Nadal gives Fed so many problems, especially on clay with the high bounces)
4. You don't have as many options -- very hard to hit a topspin lob with a one-handed BH; much easier with a two-hander.

To me, if you're going to be a volleyer, you should play a one-handed BH -- this is why Sampras' first coach forced him to changed from a two-handed to one-handed BH in 1989 -- he felt that it would give Sampras a better chance to win Wimbledon, which obviously was correct :).

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
3. Much better disguise for a BH dropshot (obviously, Fed is the master at this; Agassi was the master for the two-handed BH dropshot, but even he didn't have the disguise that Fed does)
4. Much easier to put slice on the ball (even two-handers like Roddick use one hand when putting slice on the backhand)

Disadvantages:
1. More strain on elbow
3. Can't generate as much pace off of the high ball as you can with a two-hander (this is why Nadal gives Fed so many problems, especially on clay with the high bounces)
4. You don't have as many options -- very hard to hit a topspin lob with a one-handed BH; much easier with a two-hander.

To me, if you're going to be a volleyer, you should play a one-handed BH -- this is why Sampras' first coach forced him to changed from a two-handed to one-handed BH in 1989 -- he felt that it would give Sampras a better chance to win Wimbledon, which obviously was correct :).

Yes, thats right, same thing with Edberg who actually had a great 2hander until the age of 16,then he changed it and his 1hander became pretty good:)

OroDeSantoro
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Advantages:
Reach
Easier to develop a strong slice
More topspin potential
More power
Quicker and more comfortable at net

Disadvantages:
Usually have to slice balls above shoulder
Takes more coordination
Takes longer to learn

I think the main reason it's dying is because it's harder to teach. Kids aren't the best with stability, coordination, and muscle memory so it's much easier to start them with a 2 hander. More importantly, kids are pretty small so a lot of balls end up near or above their shoulder. With a one hander, you'd have to teach them an entirely different stroke to handle those shots, whereas with a 2 hander it's just a different form of the same topspin stroke.

OroDeSantoro
08-05-2009, 08:22 AM

Disadvantages:
1. More strain on elbow

Haha, it looks like someone beat me to the punch...

OroDeSantoro
08-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Very true, I forgot about that one

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
thanks guys lol. so i guess playboy magazine not FTW. :(

ttbrowne
08-05-2009, 08:33 AM
But I believe that Fed has used his one-hander very effectively. He can hit the big topspin backhand to drive opponents back to beyond the baseline and then bring them into the court by his tremendous slice. Then run around the backhand to pop it down the line or even short crosscourt. The one-hander makes it possible to disguise these shots. No one has used that to his advantage like Fed.
I also believe that Nadals being a lefthander counts for a lot more than his fantastic topspin. If he a righty, Fed would not have the trouble with him.

pmerk34
08-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Disadvantages:
1. More strain on elbow

Disadvantages also are on the return of serve where two handers rip them back and one handers have a much harder time doing that.

Also it is much easier to go up the line with a two handed backhand. That's why people drool over one handed backhand winners up the line: it's an inherently more difficult shot. Two handed pro rip winners up the line all the time but they never make highlight reels because it is seen so much more.

DarthMaul
08-05-2009, 08:42 AM

As I said in another thread, 2 handed backhand is for clumsy people or for girls. Real men use 1HBH :P

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Disadvantages also are on the return of serve where two handers rip them back and one handers have a much harder time doing that.

Also it is much easier to go up the line with a two handed backhand. That's why people drool over one handed backhand winners up the line: it's an inherently more difficult shot. Two handed pro rip winners up the line all the time but they never make highlight reels because it is seen so much more.
Yes, i think with a 1hander u have to block it back (fed) a lot more times, whereas a 2hander can wrip it! (agassi)

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 08:44 AM
hells ya
10 char

drwood
08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
As I said in another thread, 2 handed backhand is for clumsy people or for girls. Real men use 1HBH :P

Borg, Connors, Agassi, Wilander, Nadal, Courier would disagree -- 45 slams and 11 year-end #1s between them

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Borg, Connors, Agassi, Wilander, Nadal, Courier would disagree -- 45 slams and 11 year-end #1s between them

but i dont think Nadal count as a real man :confused:

drwood
08-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes, i think with a 1hander u have to block it back (fed) a lot more times, whereas a 2hander can wrip it! (agassi)

I also agree...with a 2-hander its easier to create topspin, which is why you can go for down-the-line shots with more success -- easier to hit it consistently over the high part of the net.

An interesting question would be which two-handed BH player had a good BH volley -- the only person I can think of would be Todd Martin.

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
on a easy down the line winner shots i jsut go inside out

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
I also agree...with a 2-hander its easier to create topspin, which is why you can go for down-the-line shots with more success -- easier to hit it consistently over the high part of the net.

An interesting question would be which two-handed BH player had a good BH volley -- the only person I can think of would be Todd Martin.
How about Goran?

DarthMaul
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Borg's backhand was a mixture. He starts the movement with 2 hands and finises it with 1 hand.

bryanj2u
08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
once again Nadal isnt a real man. he wears CAPRIS!

drwood
08-05-2009, 08:53 AM
How about Goran?

Good point (I forgot about him), although I think most people would view Martin as a better volleyer than Goran...often Goran's volleys let him down in pressure situations.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Borg's backhand was a mixture. He starts the movement with 2 hands and finises it with 1 hand.
You wanna know why?? As a kid his left arm was a little shorter then his right, therefore he did that and it followed him throughout his career since it worked pretty good!

drwood
08-05-2009, 08:55 AM

So he made contact with the ball using two hands...that's a two-handed BH :).

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Good point (I forgot about him), although I think most people would view Martin as a better volleyer than Goran...often Goran's volleys let him down in pressure situations.
Yes, you are probably right, i guess if Todd had Gorans serve he would have had a lot better results at Wimby.

bjk
08-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I counted the number of 1hbh in the top 100 a few months ago, it was 29. That's a pretty good number, more than the top 10 would suggest. I'm told few juniors use the 1hbh, which indicates that good one-handers catch up later in their careers. A surprising number of clay courters use the 1hbh, like Almagro. The ball sits up on clay, that may explain the advantage of the 1h on clay. Notice that the backhand of 1h's is always attacked, no matter how good it is --- even Gasquet and Wawrinka get attacked on the backhand, even though their forehands can be erratic.

drwood
08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I counted the number of 1hbh in the top 100 a few months ago, it was 29. That's a pretty good number, more than the top 10 would suggest. I'm told few juniors use the 1hbh, which indicates that good one-handers catch up later in their careers. A surprising number of clay courters use the 1hbh, like Almagro. The ball sits up on clay, that may explain the advantage of the 1h on clay. Notice that the backhand of 1h's is always attacked, no matter how good it is --- even Gasquet and Wawrinka get attacked on the backhand, even though their forehands can be erratic.

In general, its much easier to win the French with a 2-handed BH (Borg, Wilander, Chang, Courier, Bruguera, Kafelnikov, Moya, Agassi, Fererro, Nadal) b/c of the high bounces. High bounces favor 2-hande BH more than 1-handers b/c its hard to consistently keep the ball deep when hitting a high one-handed BH.

Conversely, its much easier to win Wimbledon with a 1-handed BH (McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, Cash, Stich, Sampras, Federer). On HC its about equal.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
In general, its much easier to win the French with a 2-handed BH (Borg, Wilander, Chang, Courier, Bruguera, Kafelnikov, Moya, Agassi, Fererro, Nadal) b/c of the high bounces. High bounces favor 2-hande BH more than 1-handers b/c its hard to consistently keep the ball deep when hitting a high one-handed BH.

Conversely, its much easier to win Wimbledon with a 1-handed BH (McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, Cash, Stich, Sampras, Federer). On HC its about equal.
Thats right, and that makes what Federer did at FO even more impressive i think, and Albert Costa, Thomas Muster.

droliver
08-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Thats right, and that makes what Federer did at FO even more impressive i think, and Albert Costa, Thomas Muster.

Don't forget Gaudio, Kuerten, Lendl, Noah won the with the 1 hander

Also lots of finalists since 1980 with 1H including McEnroe, Leconte, Korda, Corretja, Puerta, Vererk, Stich, Edberg,