PDA

View Full Version : Similar to k gut

roddickslammer
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I love the crispy feel of k gut and how you can really feel the ball on the strings. The only problem is it costs so much! Do you know of a cheaper
Alternative that has these features but is about 13$ or cheaper and it would need to be available in a reel.

Thanks,

Roddickslammer

Bad Dog
08-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Just for clarification, are you referring to K-Gut (softer), or actually to K-Gut Pro (crisper)?

roddickslammer
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
K gut pro.

3lowdown
08-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Gosen og 18 :) (sarcasm)

Bad Dog
08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are two of my very favorite strings. However, many on this board (myself included) feel that they are expensive. But we get excellent performance, which is what we pay for.

Another similar feeling crisp string is LaserFibre Supernatural Gut Pro Stock, which is just a little bit cheaper (but still several dollars more than your request for $13), when you factor in shipping costs. But keep in mind that many people may appear to have found it a bit frustrating to actually received delivery, according to this recent thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=277444

Keifers
08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are two of my very favorite strings. However, many on this board (myself included) feel that they are expensive. But we get excellent performance, which is what we pay for.

Another similar feeling crisp string is LaserFibre Supernatural Gut Pro Stock, which is just a little bit cheaper (but still several dollars more than your request for $13), when you factor in shipping costs. But keep in mind that many people may appear to have found it a bit frustrating to actually received delivery, according to this recent thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=277444
Hey Bad Dog,
I've been meaning to ask you...

Wilson K Gut 16 Nylon 1.31 191 11.98
Wilson K Gut 17 Nylon 1.28 183 11.59
Wilson K Gut Pro 16 Nylon 1.33 182 10.62
Wilson K Gut Pro 17 Nylon 1.27 163 15.21

Does the 163 stiffness measurement for Pro 17 vs. 182 for Pro 16 sound right to you? And 183 vs. 191 for the K Guts?

What do you think of the numbers for K Gut vs. K Gut Pro (should they be higher for the Pros)?

Many thanks.

DownTheLine
08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Maybe buying a reel at a time can lower the cost of 40 feet of string by $4-$5.

Bad Dog
08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey Bad Dog,
I've been meaning to ask you...

Wilson K Gut 16 Nylon 1.31 191 11.98
Wilson K Gut 17 Nylon 1.28 183 11.59
Wilson K Gut Pro 16 Nylon 1.33 182 10.62
Wilson K Gut Pro 17 Nylon 1.27 163 15.21

Does the 163 stiffness measurement for Pro 17 vs. 182 for Pro 16 sound right to you? And 183 vs. 191 for the K Guts?

What do you think of the numbers for K Gut vs. K Gut Pro (should they be higher for the Pros)?

Many thanks.

Keifers You are asking the right questions, as usual. :)

For me, and as many others have discovered, those K-Gut/K-Gut Pro lab numbers are so radically different from actual experience on the court to the point where those statistics, for these particular strings, may be either unintentionally misleading, or possibly even misprints. In any case, I'm glad I did not take a look at those numbers before hitting the court with these particular strings.

Bottom line: Lab numbers may often be useful ways to make generalized comparisons, but often those same lab numbers are just off-target, and may not represent real-world experience. :)

My experience, like most who have tried them, is that K-Gut Pro feels more like VS natural gut that has been vigorously prestretched (slightly crisper, slightly more spin), whereas K-Gut appears more like natural gut that has not been vigorously prestretched (slightly more ball pocketing, slightly more power). Both strings are excellent; both are crisp, spinny, etc. :) But as always, these attributes are nuanced and may be challenging to detect if you are not specifically anticipating them. Lower tensions accentuate the flavors.

roddickslammer
08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
So is there no string that can come close at 13 dollars or less?

Bad Dog
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM

For me personally, no. Currently my first preferences are Babolat VS natural gut, then Wilson K-Gut/K-Gut Pro then everything else.

However, others may recommend a relatively cheap natural gut from India called global, or other natural guts like Klip or Tonic, or BDE, or multifilament strings like Tecnifibre NRG 2, X-One Biphase, Wilson NXT, Babolat Xcel or Power, WeissCannon Explosiv, etc.

mattp420
08-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe try Yonex Tour Super Pro 850? Too bad you can only find it in 16 now.

Valjean
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, there is; try out Prince's Premier, the one with Softflex added in...

In fact, you might try out Alpha's Gut 2000 as well.

Il Mostro
08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, there is; try out Prince's Premier, the one with Softflex added in...

In fact, you might try out Alpha's Gut 2000 as well.

I haven't used my sample of Premier yet. Have you played it? If so, comparison to KGut and Xcel/Xcel Power would be appreciated. Thanks.

Valjean
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I haven't used my sample of Premier yet. Have you played it? If so, comparison to KGut and Xcel/Xcel Power would be appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2004/03/prince_premier_with_softflex_1.html

Have I played it!?!! Why haven't you, IM, when it's been out since 2004. That sample must be pretty old by now! :)

The Premier doesn't have quite the Touch/Feel of those strings you've named, nor possibly quite the same durability.

On the other hand, at $11 a package it is the best bargain available in the mid-range multifilament line. It comes with abundant comfort, medium power and careful shotplay, though. Unless Alpha's Gut 2000 is more to your liking, at roughly $5...

Il Mostro
08-05-2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2004/03/prince_premier_with_softflex_1.html

Have I played it!?!! Why haven't you, IM, when it's been out since 2004. That sample must be pretty old by now! :)

The Premier doesn't have quite the Touch/Feel of those strings you've named, nor possibly quite the same durability.

On the other hand, at $11 a package it is the best bargain available in the mid-range multifilament line. It comes with abundant comfort, medium power and careful shotplay, though. Unless Alpha's Gut 2000 is more to your liking, at roughly $5...

Different string -- my misunderstanding. The un-played sample I have is Premier LT. Good review in RSI but first hand reviews of this string are appreciated.

Keifers
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Keifers You are asking the right questions, as usual. :)

For me, and as many others have discovered, those K-Gut/K-Gut Pro lab numbers are so radically different from actual experience on the court to the point where those statistics, for these particular strings, may be either unintentionally misleading, or possibly even misprints. In any case, I'm glad I did not take a look at those numbers before hitting the court with these particular strings.

Bottom line: Lab numbers may often be useful ways to make generalized comparisons, but often those same lab numbers are just off-target, and may not represent real-world experience. :)

My experience, like most who have tried them, is that K-Gut Pro feels more like VS natural gut that has been vigorously prestretched (slightly crisper, slightly more spin), whereas K-Gut appears more like natural gut that has not been vigorously prestretched (slightly more ball pocketing, slightly more power). Both strings are excellent; both are crisp, spinny, etc. :) But as always, these attributes are nuanced and may be challenging to detect if you are not specifically anticipating them. Lower tensions accentuate the flavors.
Thanks, Bad Dog. Those numbers didn't make sense to me given your descriptions of their playing characteristics.

Here's another set that has me suspecting typos or some other errors:

Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.25 Nylon 1.25 153 12.13
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.30 Nylon 1.29 190 13.06
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.35 Nylon 1.34 192 12.39

From 192 to 190 to .. 153?? I'm skeptical!

Valjean
08-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Guys, you're getting too wrapped up in the numbers themselves.

These are partial tests that deliver partial string characterizations; they abstract completely from the (sometimes, considerable) effect of different wraps, coatings and internal constructions that strings have but there's nothing wrong with the numbers themselves.

What you are also seeing in those are different manufacturing specifications applied by different manufacturers to their different gauges.