PDA

View Full Version : A Decent US Open for Andy Roddick

tvp900
08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Roddick proved he has what it takes to win slams (if he could get rid of the Swiss Flu he's had for the last few years). I think a successful US Open for him would be at least a semifinal appearence. I'd like to see him win it, but he's going to have a hard time doing it. What does everyone else think.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Swiss flu:) good one, hard to get rid off, i see Roddick going into the semis...

drwood
08-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Roddick proved he has what it takes to win slams (if he could get rid of the Swiss Flu he's had for the last few years). I think a successful US Open for him would be at least a semifinal appearence. I'd like to see him win it, but he's going to have a hard time doing it. What does everyone else think.

I expect Roddick to win the title.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I expect Roddick to win the title.
You do? For real?

Sartorius
08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm not particularly a fan of his current baseline game unlike some maybe, I guess he did "improve" it comparing to last few years, but I prefer the way he played earlier, when he was trying to be really agressive. IIRC he actually said something along those lines in an interview recently; he thinks his current form isn't exactly better than his 2003, 2004 form.

So he can still struggle quite a bit against a good baseliner, he needs to serve really well. But if he does serve well and play steady from the baseline, like he did at Wimbledon, he can go deep again.

drwood
08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
You do? For real?

Yes. He's the only top player other than Federer who has gotten steadily better since the start of the year. He's proven that he's good on grass, but HC is his best surface.

Fed is still the favorite [5-time defending US Open champ as great as any of his achievements and the one (along with his 21 straight GS SF or better) least likely to be eclipsed], but I expect Roddick with the way he's playing now on HC to beat Murray or Nadal and have a good shot against Fed.

I don't think anyone other than Fed, Nadal, Murray or Roddick has a realistic shot of winning the US Open.

grafrules
08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I think a semifinal would be a good result. Anything more would be a bonus.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes. He's the only top player other than Federer who has gotten steadily better since the start of the year. He's proven that he's good on grass, but HC is his best surface.

Fed is still the favorite [5-time defending US Open champ as great as any of his achievements and the one (along with his 21 straight GS SF or better) least likely to be eclipsed], but I expect Roddick with the way he's playing now on HC to beat Murray or Nadal and have a good shot against Fed.

I don't think anyone other than Fed, Nadal, Murray or Roddick has a realistic shot of winning the US Open.
That is some good points, agree with most of it, but Roddicks best surface would definetely be grass, the atp-tour is loaded with hc-tournaments so therefore he wins most of his titles there..but i really think he plays the most effective tennis on grass.
I dont see Roddick pressuring Fed to 5 hard sets on HC...sure i could be wrong but i dont think so.

Serendipitous
08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Roddick will get to the final and lose to Gulbis.

tennisfan25
08-05-2009, 01:06 PM

I agree with you here although Novak could pull it together, and I'd love to see a deep run by Safin.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 01:09 PM
If that happens i will fly to New York and run through Central Park naked while screaming "rule britannia"

Serendipitous
If that happens i will fly to New York and run through Central Park naked while screaming "rule britannia"

Sounds good. I will be there. :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
I agree with you here although Novak could pull it together, and I'd love to see a deep run by Safin.
Nowadays Safin only make deep runs into women and bottles...

tennisfan25
08-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Nowadays Safin only make deep runs into women and bottles...

thus hes one of my favorite players

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Sounds good. I will be there. :)
Youd better be:)

NamRanger
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
That is some good points, agree with most of it, but Roddicks best surface would definetely be grass, the atp-tour is loaded with hc-tournaments so therefore he wins most of his titles there..but i really think he plays the most effective tennis on grass.
I dont see Roddick pressuring Fed to 5 hard sets on HC...sure i could be wrong but i dont think so.

HCs give Roddick better traction and even the movement area out a little bit, and allow Roddick to get a better look at Federer's serve. As good as Federer is at returning, Roddick showed that if he's on with it Federer can do nothing but hope to get the ball back into play on HCs.

I'd actually say Roddick has a better chance at the USO where he has the crowd factor, better traction (which means he can unload easier on his forehand), and can get a better look at Federer's serve.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
You do? For real?

It's not out of the question. He's definitely one of the favorites and with the recent improvements he's made to his game and his conditioning, along with his newfound confidence, Roddick probably believes this is his best shot to take another U.S. Open title.

As a Roddick fan, I'm actually hoping he faces off against Federer at Flushing Meadows. If Federer/Roddick at Wimbledon was any indication, I'd love to see a rematch.

tangerine
08-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Strange how people have forgotten that Roddick was in the USO final in 2006.

flyinghippos101
08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I see Roddick advancing to the semis, maybe the finals if he prays.

Toxicmilk
08-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Lose in final to Donald Young. :twisted:
then from that moment forward the notorious wildcard side show will become THE show =D

egn
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM

close..

Lose in final to Donald Young. :twisted:
then from that moment forward the notorious wildcard side show will become THE show =D

correct. =] (beat me to it)

bluetrain4
08-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I've always thought that Roddick is basically capable of anything in a non-clay Slam. He's capable of a humiliating early loss, or a dramatic close loss to a good, but not great player, a beat down by a great player, or he can play great against a great player and lose, and I even thought that he could, possibly win.

I still think all these options are possible, even after Wimbledon. But, he should come in with a ton of confidence ,and he likes the USO, so I'm predicting good things. Would love to see him win it, but not counting on it.

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 12:29 AM
hopefully, Roddick will win the whole thing.

Lets not forget that roddick returns a lot better on hardcourt, and that really is his only weakness, which, I don't think will ever improve. Hard courts still promote his power game.

backhand winner
08-06-2009, 12:42 AM
HCs give Roddick better traction and even the movement area out a little bit, and allow Roddick to get a better look at Federer's serve. As good as Federer is at returning, Roddick showed that if he's on with it Federer can do nothing but hope to get the ball back into play on HCs.

I'd actually say Roddick has a better chance at the USO where he has the crowd factor, better traction (which means he can unload easier on his forehand), and can get a better look at Federer's serve.
Roddick's overall game might be better on hardcourts but Fed returns Roddick's serve much better on hardcourts. Roddick would probably have trouble breaking Fed on any surface.

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Roddick's overall game might be better on hardcourts but Fed returns Roddick's serve much better on hardcourts. Roddick would probably have trouble breaking Fed on any surface.

well, seeing as he broke federer more times than fed broke andy, i would say your wrong, but that might just be because roddick actually took his chances out there. No offence

DarthMaul
08-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Federer beating A-Rod again would be scary... Roddick would kill him, literally!
LOL

Bertie B
08-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Roddick was too tenative at wimbledon for my liking. Had he lost the final going for his shots (a la 2005), I'd like his chances, but he didn't. Also, while impressive, his matches against Hewitt, and Murray went on longer than they should have.

In other news, the oracle says the Juan Carlos Ferrero is due a confidence and energy boost any day now...watch him.

backhand winner
08-06-2009, 01:44 AM
well, seeing as he broke federer more times than fed broke andy, i would say your wrong, but that might just be because roddick actually took his chances out there. No offence
I am saying that Roddick breaking 2 games in a match that went to 16-14 in the 5th set is not that impressive. Roddick relied on his serve to take it as far as he did. Take some of that sting from his serve away and Fed would break much more. Australian Open 2007 showed an example of that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikx0Du735Y

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
I am saying that Roddick breaking 2 games in a match that went to 16-14 in the 5th set is not that impressive. Roddick relied on his serve to take it as far as he did. Take some of that sting from his serve away and Fed would break much more. Australian Open 2007 showed an example of that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikx0Du735Y

federer was playing his best tennis ever, he would have beaten anyone else in straight sets, the guy was just 'feeling it' and hitting winners everywhere. federer only broke roddick once in that match, and is less impressive.

Taking the sting out of roddick's serve is like taking the accuracy of federer's serve, they both need it for different reasons. Federer because he hasn't got the power of roddick and roddick because he hasn't the accuracy of federer.

every player relies on one weapon or aspect in there game to take them far, its true, federer relies on his serve as much as federer.

backhand winner
08-06-2009, 02:01 AM
federer was playing his best tennis ever, he would have beaten anyone else in straight sets, the guy was just 'feeling it' and hitting winners everywhere. federer only broke roddick once in that match, and is less impressive.

Taking the sting out of roddick's serve is like taking the accuracy of federer's serve, they both need it for different reasons. Federer because he hasn't got the power of roddick and roddick because he hasn't the accuracy of federer.

every player relies on one weapon or aspect in there game to take them far, its true, federer relies on his serve as much as federer.
My whole point is that the hard courts aren't as difficult for Fed to return Roddick's serve as grass. But it doesn't matter what surface Roddick returns on as Fed will likely hold his serve at a very high rate.

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 02:12 AM
My whole point is that the hard courts aren't as difficult for Fed to return Roddick's serve as grass. But it doesn't matter what surface Roddick returns on as Fed will likely hold his serve at a very high rate.

i thought that the US open was the fastest slam, im not sure, is it??? If so, it would help his serve even more, but wouldn't help his return.

Federer's serve is good, but if he has a terible service game, or match for that matter, he is veunrable, nadal proved that in AO 09 and i know nadal is a much better player than roddick, but still. If federer had an off day on serve, then he could do damage. Roddick could go for return winners too.

it's not just federer's serve that roddick struggles with, he's blessed with a crap return unfortunately. Nothing he can do about it now. He could perhaps stand far back like monfils does

tintin
08-06-2009, 04:32 AM
would be nice if Roddick lost in the First round

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 04:54 AM
would be nice if Roddick lost in the First round

why would it be nice, are you a murray fan that just wants revenge??

jonnythan
08-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Roddick tore it up at Wimbledon and almost, almost, almost took down Federer. There's a lot more in his favor at the US Open, so he can make a deep run.

Cfidave
08-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Federer beating A-Rod again would be scary... Roddick would kill him, literally!
LOL

What? He has done it 19 times! If they meet at the US Open, it will be 20. Roddicks best chance against Fed has come & gone. I agree, that hard courts gives Fed a better look at Roddicks serve.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-06-2009, 07:24 AM
What? He has done it 19 times! If they meet at the US Open, it will be 20. Roddicks best chance against Fed has come & gone. I agree, that hard courts gives Fed a better look at Roddicks serve.
It really does, the bounce will always be the same, that is not the case at Wimbledon, i dont see Roddick (although i think he is a hell of a player and a HoF) ever being as close to beating Fed as he was in Wimbledon...i mean 4!! setpoints going 2-0 sets up...Fed would probably not have risen after that...