PDA

View Full Version : Backhand slice grip(Nadal, Karanusic)

Drago
08-05-2009, 12:44 PM
What Backhand slice grip does these two players use, it seems to me that this is not the traditional continental grip. Recently I was able to see the Karanusic's BH slice at life and it seems to me superior.

http://www.teniselespinar.com/images/galeriaFotos/g-roko-karanusic3537.jpg

http://dnevnik.bg/shimg/zx450y250_758703.jpg

OliverSimon
08-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Semi western

Terr
08-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Ditto. It's semi-western. I think you can probably see it better on Karanusic because Nadal's finger wrap is blending with his overgrip.

Index knuckle on 4th bevel.

hemat23
08-06-2009, 05:32 AM
It looks eastern to me..

RoddickAce
08-06-2009, 05:39 AM
It looks eastern to me..

Nadal's looks like an eastern forehand grip, Karunsic's looks like an extreme eastern forehand grip.

Sartorius
08-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Nadal's backhand is a semi-western grip (forehand full western), and it's not an ideal grip to hit a slice. Hence he only recently added the slice to his arsenal, it's not bad but it's not a great shot either (was ineffective against Soderling in RG for instance), he can't properly slice the ball because of his grip and technique.

Drago
08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
It seems to me that the both players have the same BH slice grip, something in the middle between semi-western and eastern. It is very strange grip for me, and I think that both players have very effective slice.

wyutani
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM
semi western to slice?

THIS IS MADNESS! ~ quote from 300

Frankauc
08-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Nadal's backhand is a semi-western grip (forehand full western), and it's not an ideal grip to hit a slice. Hence he only recently added the slice to his arsenal, it's not bad but it's not a great shot either (was ineffective against Soderling in RG for instance), he can't properly slice the ball because of his grip and technique.

actually, nadal's slice is very vey good. It's one of his best shots.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-07-2009, 08:23 AM

haha, you obviously are a new user. its been confirmed that nadal ises semi western grips for his backhand and forehand. the reason he cant use a western is because he has a straight arm forehand and that mixed with his exrteme racket head speed would destroy his wrist.

also, his slice is very good. watch tsonga vs nadal last year at aussie open.

Andres
08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Nadal's looks like a regular Eastern, a bit towards Continental. Nowhere near SW.

LES
08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
What size is that Wilson racquet?

raffi!
08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
What size is that Wilson racquet?

132 square inch.

Jonny S&V
08-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Nadal's looks like a regular Eastern, a bit towards Continental. Nowhere near SW.

Ditto, but I think it's a straight-up eastern. I'm going with this because I'm pretty sure it's his volleying grip as well...

Sartorius
08-07-2009, 11:21 AM
haha, you obviously are a new user. its been confirmed that nadal ises semi western grips for his backhand and forehand. the reason he cant use a western is because he has a straight arm forehand and that mixed with his exrteme racket head speed would destroy his wrist.

also, his slice is very good. watch tsonga vs nadal last year at aussie open.

Well I'm aware that his forehand grip is not easy to identify and there's discussion whether he uses a SW or a full-S grip on his forehand, or whether he changed it at some point. And I know he uses SW on his backhand (obviously I'm a new "user" but I'm not new to tennis).. But you're saying that it's "confirmed" that he uses a SW forehand?..

The slice, well, I disagree that it's a "very very good" shot really.

And I'll watch Tsonga vs Nadal last year for what exactly?.. Didn't he get more or less dominated by Tsonga in that match?

Frankauc
08-07-2009, 11:46 AM
And I'll watch Tsonga vs Nadal last year for what exactly?.. Didn't he get more or less dominated by Tsonga in that match?

it dosent mean by any way that his slice was bad on that day.

personnaly, i dont remember his slice from that match, but i've watch nadal improve his slice for about a year and a half and it has become a great shot.

OliverSimon
08-08-2009, 03:58 PM
all the pros have their own grip for the slice

dincuss
08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Its Eastern; Grip Of The GOAT's

sh@de
08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Nadal's doesn't look SW, are you kidding? It's gotta be an eastern forehand grip... look at where his base knuckle is!