PDA

View Full Version : US Open build up in the USA

batz
08-05-2009, 02:50 PM
What is the media build up like in the US before Flushing Meadows?

In the UK the Wimbledon build up starts a good couple of weeks before then works into a frenzy as the first day approaches (BBC trailers, TV ads based around Wimbledon, players on the major talkshows, Murray goes under the electron microscope) - is it like that in the US? Is there an annual TV trailer? Do the American players become top celebs for a few weeks? Players on talkshows etc?

tacou
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
US Open series -- "Greatest Road Trip in Sports" or something.

tennis isn't popular in US so no, no hype really.

jamesblakefan#1
08-05-2009, 05:26 PM
What is the media build up like in the US before Flushing Meadows?

In the UK the Wimbledon build up starts a good couple of weeks before then works into a frenzy as the first day approaches (BBC trailers, TV ads based around Wimbledon, players on the major talkshows, Murray goes under the electron microscope) - is it like that in the US? Is there an annual TV trailer? Do the American players become top celebs for a few weeks? Players on talkshows etc?

Nothing really. It's more like "Oh, the US Open starts tommorow. That's great!" lol. As far as people not really "counting down the days to the start of the US Open, at least not in the media.

Some guys, like Roddick and Fed, maybe Blake, will appear on TV shows, usually ESPN doesn't preview it until the weekend or Friday before play starts, nothing huge. CBS does a preview show, which they show before the Arthur Ashe Kids day on the Sunday before play starts.

But it's not some huge, drawn out thing. We save all our media coverage for big things, like the opening of NFL Mini Camps. Real excitement, seeing high payed millionaires play football in shorts and no real contact.

So yeah, there is no real big build up.

pmerk34
08-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Nothing really. It's more like "Oh, the US Open starts tommorow. That's great!" lol. As far as people not really "counting down the days to the start of the US Open, at least not in the media.

Some guys, like Roddick and Fed, maybe Blake, will appear on TV shows, usually ESPN doesn't preview it until the weekend or Friday before play starts, nothing huge. CBS does a preview show, which they show before the Arthur Ashe Kids day on the Sunday before play starts.

But it's not some huge, drawn out thing. We save all our media coverage for big things, like the opening of NFL Mini Camps. Real excitement, seeing high payed millionaires play football in shorts and no real contact.

So yeah, there is no real big build up.

Oh please the NFL prints money. The product is the players they have the worst labor agreement in sports. They are under paid. Don't spout ignorance because you don't like the NFL.

jamesblakefan#1
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh please the NFL prints money. The product is the players they have the worst labor agreement in sports. They are under paid. Don't spout ignorance because you don't like the NFL.

Whoa, where'd that come from? I love the NFL (waiting for Madden to come out next week as we speak). Just think it's over covered here in the US. I don't really need daily updates on whether or not Brett Favre's retiring or not, how Tom Brady's knee is, blah blah blah. NFL's way too overcovered for my taste, at the expense of sports like tennis and soccer, that's all I was pointing out. Sorry if you took my high paid millionaires comment, I'm sorry. I apologize to Eli Manning and his $97 million dollars.

And I know there's some guys that get screwed over by the NFL's agreement, wind up broke and crippled after their done, etc, so don't give me the education lesson. Just was making the pt that the NFL is overcovered here in America.

pmerk34
08-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Whoa, where'd that come from? I love the NFL (waiting for Madden to come out next week as we speak). Just think it's over covered here in the US. I don't really need daily updates on whether or not Brett Favre's retiring or not, how Tom Brady's knee is, blah blah blah. NFL's way too overcovered for my taste, at the expense of sports like tennis and soccer, that's all I was pointing out. Sorry if you took my high paid millionaires comment, I'm sorry. I apologize to Eli Manning and his $97 million dollars.

And I know there's some guys that get screwed over by the NFL's agreement, wind up broke and crippled after their done, etc, so don't give me the education lesson. Just was making the pt that the NFL is overcovered here in America.

The NFL is overcovered, I agree but guess what ?NFL pre-season games get ratings you would not beleive. And the players deserve every penny they get out of that rotten league.

Zeppy
08-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I think USO sponsors will start showing commercials a few weeks before USO starts.

Birke
08-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I was so sick of Brett Favre talks for the last two years.

Stay retired please!

pmerk34
08-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I was so sick of Brett Favre talks for the last two years.

Stay retired please!

sick of that guy. I wish the US Open got more hype.

flyinghippos101
08-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I almost died hearing of the Brett Favre Saga everyday on ESPN...