PDA

View Full Version : Head MG Radical Pro - String Help!

JMcQ
08-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for a good string setup for my Head MG Radical Pro? I just bought the stick and love it.

I'm a 4.5 player, heavy topspin forehand, one-handed backhand (generally slice), kick serve, love the net, etc.

Assuming perfect strokes (which I don't have but I want to avoid the "work on your strokes" comment), I'm looking to generate the heaviest ball possible. One issue: I have shoulder issues so an overly stiff feel kills my shoulder on serves.

I appreciate the help!

radical pro joe
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
When I first started using this racket, I used SPPP with a multi cross but switched to a different set up because it was too soft. Maybe it will work for you.

pmerk34
08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for a good string setup for my Head MG Radical Pro? I just bought the stick and love it.

I'm a 4.5 player, heavy topspin forehand, one-handed backhand (generally slice), kick serve, love the net, etc.

Assuming perfect strokes (which I don't have but I want to avoid the "work on your strokes" comment), I'm looking to generate the heaviest ball possible. One issue: I have shoulder issues so an overly stiff feel kills my shoulder on serves.

I appreciate the help!

I have the same frame and play the same as you described. I use the Head Sonic Pro. My arm is fine and the spin is great.

racquetjunkie
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
JMcQ,
I switched to the MG Radical Pro in March and am still experimenting with string setup. Like you I have a 1hbh (mostly slice but will drive as well) and topspin fh (I am a 4.0 on a good day...). Mostly baseline game but will approach the net if necessary. I have been using poly mains hybrids for about 2.5 years now. With the Rad Pro I string at 53# for the poly mains and 56# for the syn gut crosses (I honestly cannot tell the difference between all the $3-5 syn guts out there). I prefer 17 gauge or thinner on the poly mains and 16 or 17 gauge on the syn gut crosses.

the Rad Pro is a more powerful frame than what I was used to (Fishcer M Pro No.1). I find the poly tames the power and capitalizes on the spin potential of the very open string pattern. I like this setup a lot and have not experienced elbow or shoulder issues (I am pushing 40). I suspect tension can be played around a bit if 53 sounds low to you.

Polys I like for the mains include (17 or 17L): SPPP (soft), BB TiMo (my current favorite), Pro Red Code (like a lot, some think it is stiff), Big Ace (may be a bit stiff), BB Alu Power (only one thicker than 17 that I like), and Big Hitter Blue (crisp but comfortable). Ones I am going to try include Silverstring, Proline II, Cyberflash, and K-Boom.

hope this is somewhat helpful