PDA

View Full Version : Dinara Safina is tougher than Rafa Nadal! LOL!

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 12:12 AM
DINARA SAFINA REVEALS: KNEE INJURY HAD HER SEEING STARS

But even better news for Safina and her fans: the knee tendinitis that has plagued her since the beginning of the clay court season has abated.***

“Now I don’t take anymore anti-inflammatories which is a positive thing for me.“ Safina said, a relieved smile on her face. “I was taking anti-inflammatories all the clay court season and all Wimbledon. I had a patella inflammation so it was really painful.”

“During the clay court season sometimes I would see stars every time I had to bend.“ Safina explained, saying that the pain particularly effected her serve.

“There were moments I was not even serving in practices.“ Dinara said, “I had a problem with my knee – that’s why I was compensating every time. I lost a little bit of timing (on my serve.) I could not bend on my left knee and I couldn’t get up.”

Dinara-watchers will remember a particularly painful double fault at the end of the Roland Garros final. When asked why she didn’t site her knee injury as a factor in say, her demolition to Venus Williams in the Wimbledon semi-final, Dinara said: “I’m competing if I’m stepping on the court. I don’t find excuses – this is my personality.”

Safina said she spent the time after Wimbledon training and working with a doctor. She has a physio traveling with her and says that her knee “better.”
“There was a moment when I said to my coach: Oh I played the tournament (last week’s Slovenian Open) without taking pills and I can finally serve without pain. I was so happy for it.“

For those of you who may have missed mention of Dinara’s knee injury earlier, here is a snippet from her June 23 Wimbledon presser:

Q. You mentioned after the match you have a knee injury. Can you give us more details about how long that’s bothered you, what exactly the problem is?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, I have a tendonitis on my knee. It’s been bothering me already since April, since clay court season. On some tournaments, I’m playing just on Voltaren, because like it’s so painful to go on the knee on the serve. And it been okay. And then since I came on grass ‑‑ French Open was perfect. The whole tournament I played fine. Started last week already in Holland because of grass. It’s softer, so I have to push more. It’s been bothering me. I started to take again Voltaren.

Today I had to take one more than during the match because at one moment I just could not go down anymore on my knee it was so painful.
But I had a treatment here, a physio. So, I mean, hopefully I can play. It’s nothing that’s killing me.

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/08/05/dinara-safina-reveals-knee-injury-had-her-seeing-stars/

So, I guess Dinara outtough Nadal, is that a fair assumption? ;)

FedFan_2009
08-06-2009, 12:14 AM
She doesn't have to run because nobody on the WTA makes her run, so it's not as bad.

mcutilize
08-06-2009, 12:31 AM
its wta not the atp

cho1220
08-06-2009, 12:33 AM
she makes it sound like she could barely walk

babbette
08-06-2009, 03:36 AM
its wta not the atp

this pretty much says it all.

Lionheart392
08-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Oh please. 'This is the WTA'? Tendonitis hurts no matter what gender you are or what sport you play. No one's saying it was a crippling case but I'm sure she was still in pain at times. Good on Safina for doing her best to play on.

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Disappointed to see we have so many sexist jerks on here, who feel women don't feel the same amt of pain men do. Safina played through her tendinitis, while Nadal made excuses about it soon after his FO loss and pulled out of Wimbledon.

Safina could've easily used her knee as an excuse, but she didn't, unlike Nadal. :roll:

TheFifthSet
08-06-2009, 08:53 AM
1. Not to deny that both were feeling pain, but isn't tendonitis a product of overuse? I'd say best of 5 set matches are far more punishing for those who have tendonitis than two-setters in which Safina lost about 3-5 games (I'm talking FO) total in a match. Again, not to deny that both are feeling pain, but have some perspective here.

2. Isn't she making an excuse now?

ksbh
08-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Some woman she is ... she's tougher than Federer as well. Doesn't cry on the podium after losing a slam final! ROFL!

And of course, she doesn't blame her loss on mono or some diease like that! :)

bolo
08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
THe relevant fact is that that nadal had 6slams and a near best w% in the pro era before he cracked.

Is dinara anywhere near that? Maybe if she tried harder she would get to nadal's level of self-destruction. :)

rommil
08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
its wta not the atp

Maybe Rafaella Nadal should start playing in the WTA?

shell
08-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Interesting article JBFan, thanks for posting it. I didn't realize she was having knee issues all this time.

Just ignore the WTA bashing - it gets old, but best just to ignore it (I keep hoping it will go away :) )

Oui, c'est moi.
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Doesn't cry on the podium after losing a slam final! ROFL!
Have you ever seen a Safina slam final??!

Mick
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
well, safina did cry at the 2009 FO final.
and one of the commentators (i believe it was mary carillo) said 3 hours later she was still crying :shock:

asafi2
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Some woman she is ... she's tougher than Federer as well. Doesn't cry on the podium after losing a slam final! ROFL!

And of course, she doesn't blame her loss on mono or some diease like that! :)

Seeing as how Federer never blamed his loss on mono (only his fans) and it was his agent who revealed weeks after the AO that Fed was misdiagnosed and actually had mono and not food poisoning as they said before, I'm not sure who u are referring to...

ksbh
08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I was referring to Federer. Some of his fans don't do him any favor :)

Seeing as how Federer never blamed his loss on mono (only his fans) and it was his agent who revealed weeks after the AO that Fed was misdiagnosed and actually had mono and not food poisoning as they said before, I'm not sure who u are referring to...

ksbh
08-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I have and Mick confirms in his post that she did cry. But let's be honest here. It was nowhere near the drama that Federer brought to the podium at AO 2009!

Have you ever seen a Safina slam final??!

stanfordtennis alum
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
safina has the game, she is just lacking the confidence against the top players.. she needs a couple of good matches under her belt and she will win a GS

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I love how everyone's here when there's a thread to bash the WTA, but when I make a thread a/b how Safina toughed out a knee injury, people ridicule me and still blaze on the WTA. Jerks.

maximo
08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Jerks.

Talk about uncalled for. :-?

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Talk about uncalled for. :-?

Great contribution to the thread, MAXimo. :roll:

maximo
08-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Great contribution to the thread, MAXimo. :roll:

Calling people jerks isn't exactly acceptable, is it?

OK, my view of this is that comparing her situation to Nadals is wrong and ludacris.

grafselesfan
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Watching her play there is no way her knee injury is comparable to Nadal. If she were in a comparable amount of pain it would have been more apparent in her mobility (which isnt much anyway and was just as much as normal) and her pain would have been more noticeable.

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM

OK, my view of this is that comparing her situation to Nadals is wrong and ludacris.

Nobody asked who your favorite rapper was, ok. :D

Why is that so? Is it b/c she's a woman and he's a man? Because so far, that's the only reason that has been given.

goyeji
08-06-2009, 12:40 PM
I have and Mick confirms in his post that she did cry. But let's be honest here. It was nowhere near the drama that Federer brought to the podium at AO 2009!

That was the most memorable point in Federer's career that really defined him as a player and a person. His behavior redefined "psychodelic drama queen" for both men's AND women's tour for generations to come.

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Watching her play there is no way her knee injury is comparable to Nadal. If she were in a comparable amount of pain it would have been more apparent in her mobility (which isnt much anyway and was just as much as normal) and her pain would have been more noticeable.

So wait, you're saying she's lying? She did take painkillers, which would explain the lack of apparent pain.

My pt is, if Safina found a way to play through the pain, why couldn't Nadal find a way to try and change his game style, change it up, and at least attempt to play Wimbledon?

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Why is that so? Is it b/c she's a woman and he's a man? Because so far, that's the only reason that has been given.

Epic!!!!!!!!!!:)

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Ludicrous......:cry::cry::cry::cry:

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Nobody asked who your favorite rapper was, ok. :.

Heh.............

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/ludacris-2004-mtv-movie-awards-arrivals-16OBJa.jpg

Leave me out of this, maximo.

:)

maximo
08-06-2009, 12:44 PM

lol.

My bad.

Still, the points you've raised are ludicrous. :)

grafselesfan
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
So wait, you're saying she's lying? She did take painkillers, which would explain the lack of apparent pain.

My pt is, if Safina found a way to play through the pain, why couldn't Nadal find a way to try and change his game style, change it up, and at least attempt to play Wimbledon?

Since his injury was substantialy worse. Just because two players have a knee injury or a thigh injury, or an ankle injury, or whatever doesnt mean that it is the same degree. It is like Graf had both back and knee injuries from 1994-1999. However it is extremely apparent that it was from much more managable from 1994-1996 than from 1997-1999. Just because Nadal and Safina both have a knee injury doesnt mean it is the same severity.

No I am not saying Safina is lying. I am saying I saw her play (unfortunately) in recent events including Wimbledon and her movement was not compromised at all, nor was she showing any visible signs of discomfort or distress, which she would have had it been as bad as Nadal's knee injury.

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/ludacris-2004-mtv-movie-awards-arrivals-16OBJa.jpg

Leave me out of this, maximo.

:)

Lol. :D :D

jamesblakefan#1
08-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Since his injury was substantialy worse. Just because two players have a knee injury or a thigh injury, or an ankle injury, or whatever doesnt mean that it is the same degree. It is like Graf had both back and knee injuries from 1994-1999. However it is extremely apparent that it was from much more managable from 1994-1996 than from 1997-1999. Just because Nadal and Safina both have a knee injury doesnt mean it is the same severity.

No I am not saying Safina is lying. I am saying I saw her play (unfortunately) in recent events including Wimbledon and her movement was not compromised at all, nor was she showing any visible signs of discomfort or distress, which she would have had it been as bad as Nadal's knee injury.

Nadal didn't show any visible signs as to the severity of his injury @ RG, until Soderling started smoking the ball and knocked him out. That's when the visible signs - him not at RG anymore - showed up. ;)

OroDeSantoro
08-06-2009, 01:09 PM
When asked why she didnít site her knee injury as a factor in say, her demolition to Venus Williams in the Wimbledon semi-final, Dinara said: ďIím competing if Iím stepping on the court. I donít find excuses Ė this is my personality.Ē

... Pretty admirable stuff

TennisandMusic
08-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Err...Nadal has been playing with knee pain for years.

If the guy can barely bend over anymore, I think it makes sense to stop and rehabilitate.

This thread makes zero sense.

TennisandMusic
08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Nadal didn't show any visible signs as to the severity of his injury @ RG, until Soderling started smoking the ball and knocked him out. That's when the visible signs - him not at RG anymore - showed up. ;)

Nadal had been showing signs of his problems since Miami, and all throughout the clay court season. Please do not lie. You really do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this stuff.

THESEXPISTOL
08-06-2009, 01:13 PM
she makes it sound like she could barely walk

try to get a knee tendinitis and play tennis then we will talk..

Sentinel
08-06-2009, 08:30 PM
His agent is BreakPoint ???
So then that's who ksbh is referring to!!