PDA

View Full Version : What is Andy Murray's Fastest Serve

Teyko
08-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. I was looking at some of his practice videos, and I was just curious.

DarthFed
08-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Can't give you a perfect answer but i've seen him bomb 138 mph serves.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Probably 67 mph:twisted:

Ive seen him hit serves around 130-135 mph

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 06:56 AM
TheMagicianOfPrecision mph

djoko4thewin
08-06-2009, 07:13 AM
it was 144mph...but i can't remember where..it is in one of his interviews after the match on his website somewhere, i think it happened while ago, nothing recent like that, mainly 130+

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 07:36 AM
144, are you sure. The guy serves big, but 144, that's hard to believe

batz
08-06-2009, 07:38 AM

It's about that - he's definitely served over 140 - not regularly though.

Teyko
08-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone...I was looking at his videos and was just curious...he has an abbreviated backswing so I was just curious where he was at velocity wise.

djoko4thewin
08-06-2009, 07:42 AM
ok np, he hits the 130's but the 144 was a one off and he said in the interview how surprised he was and said that will never happen again lol. also as were on this topic and theres no point on making a new thread, whats the fastest serve of djokovic and del potro? Thanks.

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 07:53 AM
he must have hit it on the sweet spot

Oui, c'est moi.
08-06-2009, 08:53 AM
TheMagicianOfPrecision mph
Are you two in love?

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Are you two in love?

No :(:(:(:(

GameSampras
08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I thought it was 80-90 mph. LOL

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 10:43 AM

He has a couple over 140mph. It's rare, though. He's more of a 135mph+ guy when he really goes for his flat serve.

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Since when does Murray have a slow first serve? Muzza is a big server. It's his second serve that's poor.

GameSampras
08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Since when does Murray have a slow first serve? Muzza is a big server. It's his second serve that's poor.

Yea I was kidding.. Murray does have a pretty nice 1st serve.. The 2nd serve needs some working on though. He should be lucky guys like Agassi arent playing anymore.. Or else he would have that 2nd serve shoved down his throat

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Yea I was kidding.. Murray does have a pretty nice 1st serve.. The 2nd serve needs some working on though. He should be lucky guys like Agassi arent playing anymore.. Or else he would have that 2nd serve shoved down his throat

He's actually in the top 10 in points won behind second serve. The top 3 are Rafa, Fed, and Roddick. Murray wins 3% fewer points behind his second serve than those guys. Opponents don't take advantage of his second serve very often, bizarrely.

maximo
08-06-2009, 10:59 AM
He's actually in the top 10 in points won behind second serve. The top 3 are Rafa, Fed, and Roddick. Murray wins 3% fewer points behind his second serve than those guys. Opponents don't take advantage of his second serve very often, bizarrely.

Interesting.

Murray changes up his placement often though with his second serve.

honz
08-06-2009, 10:59 AM
It's so slow it's good.

NamRanger
08-06-2009, 11:14 AM

He can back up his second serve that is why. Like Nadal, he runs everything down which makes it hard to take advantage of the second serve.

He predominantly stays into the 120s so I wouldn't say he's a "big" server on a consistent basis. He mainly goes for lines more than power. When he tries to go 130+ his serve percentage tends to drop a little too much.

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
He can back up his second serve that is why. Like Nadal, he runs everything down which makes it hard to take advantage of the second serve.

He predominantly stays into the 120s so I wouldn't say he's a "big" server on a consistent basis. He mainly goes for lines more than power. When he tries to go 130+ his serve percentage tends to drop a little too much.

Murray's flat serve is consistently in the 130s and high 120s. You won't see him hit a flat serve below 125mph, and it's rarely that slow.

NamRanger
08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Murray's flat serve is consistently in the 130s and high 120s. You won't see him hit a flat serve below 125mph, and it's rarely that slow.

Yes but he doesn't hit flat that often from what I've seen. He predominantly uses the slice out wide and down the middle as his standard serve, followed with the change up of the flat. When he goes flat all the time, his percentage drops and his serve gets attacked as a result (which is one of the biggest reasons why he lost to Roddick at Wimbledon; he went for too much and allowed alot of looks at the second serve). It's very rare to see Murray serve flat 100% of the time and have a high percentage like Roddick, Karlovic, or other big servers.

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes but he doesn't hit flat that often from what I've seen. He predominantly uses the slice out wide and down the middle as his standard serve, followed with the change up of the flat. When he goes flat all the time, his percentage drops and his serve gets attacked as a result (which is one of the biggest reasons why he lost to Roddick at Wimbledon; he went for too much and allowed alot of looks at the second serve). It's very rare to see Murray serve flat 100% of the time and have a high percentage like Roddick, Karlovic, or other big servers.

Again, I disagree to a certain extent. He hits the flat serve too often for my liking. Like you said, his percentage drops big time if he goes for it too often (then again, everyone has a harder time getting a flat serve in). I don't mind the flat serve up the T, since that's fairly reliable. When he goes for the flat serve out wide on the Ad side, that's when his percentage can drop. I haven't missed a Murray match, literally, in 3 years. I know the guy's patterns inside and out.

He actually has a good kick serve. He doesn't use it often enough. That could be a great go to serve for him on the big points. Serve and volley off the kick serve out wide, especially to the single-hander.

NamRanger
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Again, I disagree to a certain extent. He hits the flat serve too often for my liking. Like you said, his percentage drops big time if he goes for it too often (then again, everyone has a harder time getting a flat serve in). I don't mind the flat serve up the T, since that's fairly reliable. When he goes for the flat serve out wide on the Ad side, that's when his percentage can drop. I haven't missed a Murray match, literally, in 3 years. I know the guy's patterns inside and out.

He actually has a good kick serve. He doesn't use it often enough. That could be a great go to serve for him on the big points. Serve and volley off the kick serve out wide, especially to the single-hander.

I do agree that he can hit the flat one up the middle fairly often, the problem is on BP he can't hit a flat serve out wide from the ad court to save his life. That was a really big problem against Roddick, who was pretty much sitting on the down the middle for most of the match on the ad court.

maximo
08-06-2009, 11:34 AM
^^ Hey Clydey. :)

Are you planning to go to the Masters Cup at the 02. :D

I've heard tickets are pretty pricey.

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I do agree that he can hit the flat one up the middle fairly often, the problem is on BP he can't hit a flat serve out wide from the ad court to save his life. That was a really big problem against Roddick, who was pretty much sitting on the down the middle for most of the match on the ad court.

Yep, he struggles on that one. The problem is that it's harder to get in the flat serve out wide unless you take some pace off. Hitting out wide at 130mph is a low percentage play. The best I've ever seen him that serve was in the USO against Rafa. He barely missed it.

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

I thought about it, but I only have one friend who's into tennis. He's saving up to go to Australia. No one else I know is into tennis. You going?

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
delete post

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Are you going?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080

batz
08-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I thought about it, but I only have one friend who's into tennis. He's saving up to go to Australia. No one else I know is into tennis. You going?

I've got 2 tickets for the final day. My mate and I fly down from Glasgow at stupid o'clock in the morning. Can't wait.

egn
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Agassi would kill him. Come on his second serve was so bad Roddick could take advantage of it. You know you have a problem when Andy Roddick is taking advantage of your second serve.

maximo
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Probably not, it might be too late anyway. :(

I've got 2 tickets for the final day. My mate and I fly down from Glasgow at stupid o'clock in the morning. Can't wait.

Hope you have a good time. I went to a gig there in June, the inside is huge.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Interesting.

Murray changes up his placement often though with his second serve.
Lol, come on man...I COULD RUN past his 2nd serve, take a cofee-break before it arrives! You make it sound as some sort of weapon!:twisted:

Clydey2times
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Here's hoping that Murray is in the final this year. Glad the UK has a couple of big events for the next few years. Might get a couple of doses of tennis fever in the UK while TMC is in London.

batz
08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Here's hoping that Murray is in the final this year. Glad the UK has a couple of big events for the next few years. Might get a couple of doses of tennis fever in the UK while TMC is in London.

That would be cosmic. But we'll enjoy it no matter who is in the final. DC tennis sans Murray is the extent of my live pro tennis watching so far.

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Murray's serve isn't that great. ;-)

Just look at his recent match with Hewitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npJ34_oQ36w

EtePras
08-06-2009, 01:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the entire 80's and 90's era, that's why Sampras' pathetic served managed to look half decent for its time.

dragonfire
08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
i didn't realise that murray had that big a serve, he should focus on 1st serve %, and could juice up that second serve, its all about guts.

Andres
08-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I have him both at 144 and 141 mph. So pick one :)

Fee
06-02-2010, 10:40 PM
he may not have a huge serve, but he certainly knows how to win.

bumping old threads to get your post count up is considered spamming.