PDA

View Full Version : ITF Appeal Gasquet Verdict

Lobber
08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
From BBC....

The International Tennis Federation has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over a tribunal decision to clear Richard Gasquet of doping.

Gasquet was provisionally suspended in May after testing positive for cocaine but an independent panel ruled that a 12-month ban would have been "unjust."

Having missed the French Open and Wimbledon the 23-year-old Frenchman was cleared to resume his career.

But the ITF, who had sought a two-year ban, wants a further investigation.

Gasquet tested positive following a urine sample at the Sony Ericsson Open in Florida in March, after he withdrew from the tournament because of a shoulder injury.

He insisted the drug had got into his system after he kissed a woman at a Miami nightclub.

The tribunal supported his claim and felt that because "no more than a grain of salt" was recorded in the sample a long ban would have been an injustice.

The ITF made a brief statement, which read: "The ITF can confirm that, jointly with Wada, it has appealed to Cas the decision of the independent tribunal in the case of Richard Gasquet."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8188590.stm

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Yay! :)

Now go play some tennis and don't kiss anyone else. :)

tintin
08-06-2009, 11:32 AM
this guy better start playing tennis

Leelord337
08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
i really believe his story about getting it from kissing a woman, after-all only a grain of salt speck of cocaine was in the results. and semi's of wimbledon, why would he start doping now?? it'd make his already quirky forehand really bad, :) jk, gasquet is one of my fav players

sureshs
08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
They wouldn't dare do it if this was a US player

flyinghippos101
08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I think he probably just sissied out from finishing a line. I don't buy this "kissing transfer" excuse