PDA

View Full Version : Pusher HELP MATCH IN 2 HOURS

Austin357
08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
:confused:OK im playing a kid who pushes the ball back and hits side to sideand runs everyone around the courts. He gets to all my good shots . anyone got any tips to help me beat him im in the finals and i wanna win

star 5 15
08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
stay aggresive and stry to finish points at the net. try and sneak in and hit some swinging volleys. just take his time away.

stanfordtennis alum
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
be patient... come to the net when an opportunity arises and put pressure on his 1st serve... play smart and shot selection is key

Austin357
08-06-2009, 12:02 PM
ok thanks ive been practicing volleys and serve to try and get some easy points thanks for the advice

stanfordtennis alum
08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
make sure to come in to net when an oppotunity arises, expect to hit 2-3 volleys to win each points assumming he is fit...

Danstevens
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
As they guys above me said, charge the net but don't be reckless. Also, consider utilising the drop shot as a tactic to bring him in to the net - something he (as a pusher) probably won't be too comfortable with.

Be prepared to stay out there for a long time but don't try to out-push him. Chances are, if you do that, he'll just beat you due to experience. Mix up your spins - I find that against pushers, hitting with some more top than usual and going at their backhands generally makes their consistency crumble. When you hit with topspin against a pusher, even if your ball drops short, it's OK because a pusher isn't likely to punish it.

Just to emphasize what stanfordtennis alum said, be patient and don't try to hack at the ball. Be prepared to stay out on court for as long as it takes to finish the job. Concentrate on every point to prevent yourself from losing focus but try also to stay relaxed. If you tense up, you're just going to end up making stupid errors that you definitely do not need when playing anyone - especially not someone who thrives on your errors as much as a pusher.

Quick summary

Take your time - don't rush and make sure that you don't get reckless and go for stuff you don't need to

Try to attack the net at any decent opportunity. Remember the above point but the net is most definitely your friend. Look for angles and make your volleys skid so he just can't get there.

Utilise the drop shot to bring him in to the net. Pushers generally don't have much of a net game so exploit it for some cheap points.

If all else fails, you can always just try to run him off the court. If you beat the ball around and consistently find the corners, he's gonna have a hard time out there. No-one can run forever so you could just opt to wear him down. However, before adopting this strategy, make sure you have the fitness and consistency to pull it off.

Once more - BE PATIENT. Take the opportunities he gives you but you don't have to hit everything as hard as you can. In fact, against pushers, placement is often more important than power.

Hope this helps you to take the pusher down - all the way down :twisted:! (sorry, just had to)

Austin357
08-06-2009, 12:24 PM
thx for the tips lol yall are awesome and funny

DownTheLine
08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
How did it go?

Austin357
08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
i got wooped 2-6 2-6 only pts i won was off ace or error evrytime i would hit a good shot he would magically get to it just in time and it would be an amazing shot it was horrible i was so ****ed:evil:

DownTheLine
08-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Does he have good passing shots?

Austin357
08-07-2009, 12:05 PM
he had very good passing shots and a great lob

DownTheLine
08-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Pushers seem to always have great passing shots or it could be I just have poor approaches...

Austin357
08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
lol maybe i do as well:-?