PDA

View Full Version : HOW is Petrova still in the top 10?!?!

soyizgood
08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I posted about Bartoli being in the top 10 last year. Now it's Petrova's turn.

She's inconsistent, injury-riddled (physically and mentally), and her record is a pedestrian 18-12 going into Los Angeles. While Azarenka and Wozniacki skipped past her, Ivanovic and Radwanska dropped behind her. At least she isn't 8-14 like Bartoli was when I ranted about her, but still Petrova's living off a small title from late last year to stay at the top. Are the rest of the girls below her that inept?

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Rankings are rankings, they'll level out eventually.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I posted about Bartoli being in the top 10 last year. Now it's Petrova's turn.

She's inconsistent, injury-riddled (physically and mentally), and her record is a pedestrian 18-12 going into Los Angeles. While Azarenka and Wozniacki skipped past her, Ivanovic and Radwanska dropped behind her. At least she isn't 8-14 like Bartoli was when I ranted about her, but still Petrova's living off a small title from late last year to stay at the top. Are the rest of the girls below her that inept?
She was coached by a Swedish guy:twisted:

stanfordtennis alum
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
welcome to women's tennis.. some of the players in the top 10, dont deserve to be there

Serendipitous
08-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Rankings are rankings, they'll level out eventually.

Case in point: Petrova just lost to Pennetta 6-3 6-3.

grafrules
08-06-2009, 12:35 PM
It is simple. Combination of a weak overall womens field right now with a ridiculous ranking system, the same one that has Safina ranked #1 over Serena.

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-06-2009, 12:57 PM
It is simple. Combination of a weak overall womens field right now with a ridiculous ranking system, the same one that has Safina ranked #1 over Serena.

...yet some around here will tell you the system works.

soyizgood
08-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Safina has been a better performer throughout the past 52 weeks than Serena. Serena's only titles are at the slams, similar to Capriati in 2001. Sorry, but being a great saleswoman in 8 weeks while doing nothing the other 44 weeks does not beat out a solid saleswoman over the course of 52 weeks.

As for Petrova, she has the skills of a top 10 player. She just doesn't have the footwork, health, mental toughness, or youth on her side. In 2009, she's done nothing special and blew a couple of matches she had no business losing. I figured she could be a threat on clay and slow hardcourt premiers, but that has not played out. I don't think she'll last in the top 10 for long as Bartoli is moving up. Pennetta, Radwanska, and Ivanovic are flaky but could pass her up this year.

Toxicmilk
08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
She's in the top 10?...Did...not...know that.

soyizgood
08-06-2009, 03:56 PM

What's so different about the WTA points system? Slams get 2000pts for the winner on both tours. Both tours have 9 tier-1/master's events and the WTA actually awards different numbers of points for those events while only requiring appearances at four of them.The problem is with Serena. She only cares for the AO, Wimbledon, USO, and Miami. Sorry, but it's her choice to disrespect the other tour events (and its sponsors) and be lackadaisical for much of the year. Safina has 9601 pts, but only 4600 of those are from the 4 slams. Serena has 8628pts, but 6500 come from the majors (7200 if you throw in Miami). Serena is basically being a under-performer outside of her 4 favorite events.

Back to the topic, the top 5 on the tour have been quite consistent as well as Azarenka, Wozniacki, and Zvonareva prior to her injury. The rest of the top ladies are picking up the crumbs, basically (*cough*Lisicki, Dulgheru*cough*). The girls around Petrova's rank have tripped themselves up and/or blew chances to move up. I think the rankings will even out as the bulk of Petrova's points come from late in the year, so she much to defend and little to gain.

koopa_troopa
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
The rankings would would make sense if women played in every tournament they commit to and don't pull out of them a week before due to fatigue.

soyizgood
08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Petrova lost to the oh-so mighty A. Bondarenko 6-2 6-3. :shock: So much for the defending champ. She will apparently slip to at least #12 and possibly #13 depending on Radwanska's results.

Nadalfan89
08-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Women's tennis is a complete joke.

The fact that they get payed more than 1/5th of what the men get is a travesty.

pvaudio
08-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Safina has been a better performer throughout the past 52 weeks than Serena. Serena's only titles are at the slams, similar to Capriati in 2001. Sorry, but being a great saleswoman in 8 weeks while doing nothing the other 44 weeks does not beat out a solid saleswoman over the course of 52 weeks.

As for Petrova, she has the skills of a top 10 player. She just doesn't have the footwork, health, mental toughness, or youth on her side. In 2009, she's done nothing special and blew a couple of matches she had no business losing. I figured she could be a threat on clay and slow hardcourt premiers, but that has not played out. I don't think she'll last in the top 10 for long as Bartoli is moving up. Pennetta, Radwanska, and Ivanovic are flaky but could pass her up this year.
But yet, your logic is exactly why Serena is the number one. She doesn't do too much but sell clothes and and play the slams...and she wins the slams. It's like people saying that Lance Armstrong isn't the greatest cyclist in history because he hasn't won a lot of the smaller rides, and only has a lot of tour de Frances. Unfortunately, if you win more of the most difficult, longest and highest paying events, who cares about the smaller ones with less competition? By winning slams, you're still playing against people in the smaller tournaments, except that you're beating EVERYONE who plays your sport.

jamesblakefan#1
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
But yet, your logic is exactly why Serena is the number one.

Except Serena isnt #1.

Wolland
08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Something should definitely be done about the WTA ranking system. I mean, how can someone hold three grand slam titles and still not be world number one. It's ridiculous.

soyizgood
08-11-2009, 09:12 PM
But yet, your logic is exactly why Serena is the number one. She doesn't do too much but sell clothes and and play the slams...and she wins the slams. It's like people saying that Lance Armstrong isn't the greatest cyclist in history because he hasn't won a lot of the smaller rides, and only has a lot of tour de Frances. Unfortunately, if you win more of the most difficult, longest and highest paying events, who cares about the smaller ones with less competition? By winning slams, you're still playing against people in the smaller tournaments, except that you're beating EVERYONE who plays your sport.

By your logic your Serena should just perform her best 8 weeks of the year and half-*** it the other 44. You try that at work and see how long your company would put up with you.

Shaq says he makes the free throws when it counts, yet he's missed over 5000 of them in his career. How many key playoff wins did his lack of skill and determination cost his squads? Heck, it played a role in his Phoenix squad missing the playoffs.

jamesblakefan#1
08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Petrova will be out of the top 10, maybe not even top 15 by the time the USO is done. She's 23rd in the WTA Race right now. And Pennetta, Ivanovic, Bartoli, and Stosur all don't have too much to defend coming up...Petrova has a load of pts to defend post-USO, I'd be surprised if she finished the year top 20, given her form.

janipyt05
08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
being consistent is more rewarding she lost first round but genrally doesn't go out in the first round and that is it, hence having a number 1 who has no slam but is consistent

dirtballer
08-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Did she get a pretected ranking when she came back from having meningitis? That could explain things.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Women's tennis is a complete joke.

The fact that they get payed more than 1/5th of what the men get is a travesty.
For the 1st time ever i actually agree with you, even though they are not paid due to performance, they are as you know im sure paid equally cuz they have lots of fans and TV-wiewers

Wolland
08-12-2009, 04:46 AM
For the 1st time ever i actually agree with you, even though they are not paid due to performance, they are as you know im sure paid equally cuz they have lots of fans and TV-wiewers

And some of them are really hot. Like Ivanovic and Sharapova and Kirilenko and many others. They appeal to men a lot, and that is why they have a lot of commercial success outside tennis.