PDA

View Full Version : How good is Stosur?

CountryHillbilly
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
And why is there no thread about her?

She plays more intelligently than most others, has a good serve and forehand, and a nice elegant style. Who cannot like her?

deltox
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
she is strong enough to not be run over by todays top power females +1
she has a nice slice backhand +1
She has a good personality +1
she has kinda manly shoulders and upper arms -1
she refuses to give it up +1

i give her 3 stars

drwood
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Hopefully she'll be top 10 by year's end -- French semis, doing well in HC season so far. Many think she has one of best serves on WTA (other than Serena).

viktorkwan
08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
She was ranked #1 in doubles a couple of years ago when partnering Lisa Raymond...

She was rising in her singles ranking a couple of years ago, but was hit but an illness and had to take some time off the tour...

Compared to the other players, she does have a more complete game...

Whilst her serve is not quite up to Venus Williams' pace, she does have a mean kick serve which allows her to structure the points...

Her groundies are quite penetrating too...and she's not afraid to come into the net...

Hopefully she earns a few more big victories against the higher ranked players and who knows how high she'd go once her confidence is up...

deltox
08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Hopefully she'll be top 10 by year's end -- French semis, doing well in HC season so far. Many think she has one of best serves on WTA (other than Serena).

Venus actually has the much better serve of the siblings

CountryHillbilly
08-06-2009, 11:09 PM
She had bad luck to run into unusually in-form Ivanovic at Wimby.

But in US she went out in the first round last year (vs Serena), so this year she's got plenty of points to earn over there.

drwood
08-06-2009, 11:13 PM

No she doesn't --- she can hit it harder, but under pressure it crumbles (i.e. 09 Wimbledon final). Serena's serve is consistent and doesn't cave under pressure. Serena's second serve is much better than Venus', and her first serve is more consistent.

nfor304
08-06-2009, 11:17 PM
stosur had always been a bit of a headcase. Always had the talent but hasnt ever been very consistent match to match

deltox
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
No she doesn't --- she can hit it harder, but under pressure it crumbles (i.e. 09 Wimbledon final). Serena's serve is consistent and doesn't cave under pressure. Serena's second serve is much better than Venus', and her first serve is more consistent.

her first serve % and service games held is better. also her 2nd serve points won is better. serena has more aces but thats all she beats her sister in service on. thats what i go by when talking about service

krprunitennis2
08-07-2009, 12:22 AM
oops. i put a spoiler w/o thinking

120mphBodyServe
08-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Not as good as she should be. Don't like her backhand.
Doesn't come across as the smartest tool in the shed.
Should've been top ten 2yrs ago..

maximo
08-07-2009, 02:39 AM
I think she's vastly underrated. She had menengites last year or the year beforea and she's actually come back on tour with her fighting desire to do well. As we saw at the French, her kick serve is unique and is a real weapon.

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Always had the talent but hasnt ever been very consistent match to match

In that way, she reminds me of Natasha Zvereva: great at doubles and strong court sense (in other words, she knows there's more than the baseline), but lacked a stronger structure to do it on her own as a singles player.

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 04:48 AM
not that good

JStar7
08-07-2009, 05:43 AM
not that good

Do you ever have anything nice to say? You dont' like Fed, Mirka, their babies, and now Stosur....cool dude...

I just started watching Stosur and I think she's pretty solid. She had a good clay court season and her hardcourt season is getting better and better. She took out Serena and now Ivanovic. Thats good stuff from my perspective.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-07-2009, 05:45 AM
And why is there no thread about her?

She plays more intelligently than most others, has a good serve and forehand, and a nice elegant style. Who cannot like her?
She is good, and the reason shes had some succes is that she doesnt play like the typical woman on the wta-tour, a couple of years ago i practiced a lot with girls around 300-400 in the world, if you take away their rhytm with angles slices lots of spin dropshots they will eventually look like they have no idea what to do.

tintin
08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
her backhand is weak
her kick serve is just sick shot:shock:
forehand is great too:)
she covers the net well:)

she has yet to win an WTA title

Bud
08-07-2009, 08:42 AM
her backhand is weak
her kick serve is just sick shot:shock:
forehand is great too:)
she covers the net well:)

she has yet to win an WTA title

I disagree... her backhand is her weakest shot... but it's not weak ;-)

She has a nice, complete game. I expect to see her in the top 10, soon.

David_Is_Right
08-08-2009, 11:09 AM

It's faster when it's "on", but it's a lot less consistent than Serena's serve.

David_Is_Right
08-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Hmmm Stosur coming out of nowhere with all these results recently, looking like Arnie? Is nobody suspicious?

Claudius
08-08-2009, 11:12 AM
She plays like a man. Huge kick serve and Federer-like forehand

drwood
08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
her first serve % and service games held is better. also her 2nd serve points won is better. serena has more aces but thats all she beats her sister in service on. thats what i go by when talking about service

The ultimate judge of how good a serve is comes in pressure situations. Serena rarely if ever double-faults in big situations, whereas Venus does it quite frequently. Also, Serena is probably the best clutch server in women's tennis history (Graf would be #2 IMO).

Anyway, I'm glad Stosur is doing well. She seems to be one of the few WTA players who isn't afraid of Venus and Serena.