PDA

View Full Version : String recommendation for ProKennex Ki5

sidzej
08-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I was wondering, what strings and tension you use in your Pro Kennex Ki5 (or 5G) frames? Especially if you faced some elbow issues before...thanks in advance for your feedback!!

I've just moved from my great Wilson nCode 6.1 Team (18x20) rackets to ProKennex Ki5, due to elbow problems.
I've tried to lower tensions on Wilson rackets and avoid polys, but it was still too harsh on my arm. I've ended up playing with 20kg (45lbs) tension and it was painless (but obviously, I lost a bit of control, but you can get used to it).

In my new ProKennex Ki5 racket, I've started with hybrid strung at 22kg (48lbs) - Kirschbaum ProLineII in mains with Babolat VS in crosses. I've played with this setup only twice, but have a bit of problem getting used to it. It plays totally different than my Wilson rackets with similar strings. No pain in the elbow though...

Do you use hybrids in this ProKennex frame at all or you tend to use one piece string (as recommended by ProKennex)?

rasajadad
08-07-2009, 04:46 AM
I owned the Ki5 PSE's for a couple of years and I always 1-pieced them. I'm not saying you couldn't hybrid them, but I didn't. My recommendation for a string and tension would be based more on what kind and level of player you are than your racquet history. So let me know.

I've tried everything from full Alu Power to full natural gut in those babies so I'm sure I could help you narrow down your search.

The_Question
08-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I've a 5G Pro, and I use a standard syn gut (Gosen Super JC) @ 68lbs. Since it's basic syn gut and constructed by nylon, it gives that nice crispy feel and pop...

sidzej
08-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Rasajadad, having looked at US vs French ranking system, I would say, I am playing at US level 3.0. I play with eastern grip, most of the time aggressive flat strokes, with some lifted forhands, flat THBH or sliced OHBH, flat fast first serve, second serve with quite a bit of rotation. I am normally not patient enough to keep long rallies and try to finish it off with a winner or attack at the net (I am 6.5ft). I used to use different combinations of strings, but liked the most combo of co-poly in Mains with multi in Xs. I also enjoyed playing with full stringbed of multi.

Does it help? :)

sidzej
08-07-2009, 06:43 AM
The_Question: I guess you don't have any elbow problems, as you are using high tension (68lbs), do you?

Maximum playable for me is around 56lbs and it must be a soft string too. Anything above would already kill my arm...

Bud
08-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I was wondering, what strings and tension you use in your Pro Kennex Ki5 (or 5G) frames? Especially if you faced some elbow issues before...thanks in advance for your feedback!!

I've just moved from my great Wilson nCode 6.1 Team (18x20) rackets to ProKennex Ki5, due to elbow problems.
I've tried to lower tensions on Wilson rackets and avoid polys, but it was still too harsh on my arm. I've ended up playing with 20kg (45lbs) tension and it was painless (but obviously, I lost a bit of control, but you can get used to it).

In my new ProKennex Ki5 racket, I've started with hybrid strung at 22kg (48lbs) - Kirschbaum ProLineII in mains with Babolat VS in crosses. I've played with this setup only twice, but have a bit of problem getting used to it. It plays totally different than my Wilson rackets with similar strings. No pain in the elbow though...

Do you use hybrids in this ProKennex frame at all or you tend to use one piece string (as recommended by ProKennex)?

Natural Gut, baby!

Check out the Global Gut thread in the Stringing forum.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=258601

schenkelini
08-07-2009, 07:23 AM
I had a 7G which is similar. I settled on a hybrid of Black Magic mains and ProSupex synthetic gut Titan in the crosses at 56/58.

The_Question
08-07-2009, 10:00 AM
The_Question: I guess you don't have any elbow problems, as you are using high tension (68lbs), do you?

Maximum playable for me is around 56lbs and it must be a soft string too. Anything above would already kill my arm...

No, no elbow problem. I have always been playing w/high tension since my teen years over 20 years ago. Besides, 5G Pro is very arm/elbow friendly, and basic syn gut are soft anyways.

I would recommend to try some multi syn gut as well. I don't have too much experience with them, just Prince Syn Gut Multi and Preimer. They feel a little lack of feedback. And I too agree, try natual gut, like Titan Natural Gut. It's available here at TW, cost less than some multi syn gut like Wilson K Gut, for example.

rasajadad
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Rasajadad, having looked at US vs French ranking system, I would say, I am playing at US level 3.0. I play with eastern grip, most of the time aggressive flat strokes, with some lifted forhands, flat THBH or sliced OHBH, flat fast first serve, second serve with quite a bit of rotation. I am normally not patient enough to keep long rallies and try to finish it off with a winner or attack at the net (I am 6.5ft). I used to use different combinations of strings, but liked the most combo of co-poly in Mains with multi in Xs. I also enjoyed playing with full stringbed of multi.

Does it help? :)

I think you'd enjoy a full multi job with something like Technifibre NRG. Start at the mid tension based on PK's recommendations. If you'd like to go hybrid, try natural gut mains at the low end of the recommeded range with syn gut (like PSGD or Gosen OG Sheep) in the crosses(at a higher tension). Either way, your elbow will love you for it!

Steve Huff
08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
YOur current strings are fine, but I'd turn them around. Put the nat. gut in the mains and the Pro Line in the crosses at about 3-5# lower tension. I've used the ki5. I put Klip Legend in the mains at 58 with a thin poly in the crosses at 53-55 (depending on how thin of poly I used). I've also used a multi in the crosses strung at the same tension as the gut. Also nice.

samster
08-07-2009, 06:13 PM
This is my preferred setup with the Ki5:

58 lbs with 17 gauge gut in the mains.

61 or 62 lbs with 17 gauge isospeed professional in the crosses.

sidzej
08-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've never tried NatGut in the mains, but it will be my next setup....

Bud
08-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've never tried NatGut in the mains, but it will be my next setup....

The next best thing to full gut is gut in the mains.

sidzej
08-11-2009, 01:47 AM
I've ordered 5 sets of Global Gut and will try it in the mains first (with soft co-poly or some syn gut in the crosses)...eventually
I might give it a go and try the full gut option as well, but I fear it is too powerful (unless I increase tension to high 50s).

Barry767
08-11-2009, 04:10 AM
I have the Ki5 PSE with full set natural gut @ 60 lbs.

BigHitterSE
08-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I prefer a hybrid of Kirschbaum Competition Mains and Kirschbaum Multi Fiber Crosses. In addition, the Ki5 has some good power, so a tension of 62+ would be recommedned.

schenkelini
08-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Double Bagel

You sure know how to make friends! I think you will find that most of us around here have gotten a lot of valuable information from Bud. He is very knowledgeable and I don't see him coming off as a know-it-all. I think your comment is out of line.

stanfordtennis alum
08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Who cares what you have to say about anything!? You take 20 years off from tennis, then all of a sudden you're a beacon of light about all things tennis just because you are in he midst of a mid-life crisis.

All of a sudden you were "forced" to play with a PK5g after a hundred postes raving about this stick...BWAHAHAHAHA

Get a clue dude...now you are the embodiment of racquets, strings, technique, etc. etc.

Its funny, after you take such an extended hiatus from tennis you NEVER have any questions about the game...just answers.

You're just another Chief...when in reality you're just another Indian. How about just ONCE, asking a question instead of being so quick to answer someone's question?

You are the epitome of a FOOL.

wow... these are some pretty harsh accusations about one of the most well-respected posters on board

caprivi
08-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I've just replaced my KPS88 with a Ki5 due to elbow problems.
Here's my setup: Klip legend 16g in the mains @58lbs / Genesis SpinX 17g in the crosses @54lbs. Will hit for the first time with it tomorrow.

Also wondering if anyone has an opinion on Natural Gut mains with Head RIP Control crosses.

sidzej
08-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks Caprivi. I have got one tournament coming up this weekend and will change my strings next week. I will keep my current setup, but will try to swap it around, ie. I'll put gut in the mains and ProLineII in the crosses. Normally, I would do lower tension on the mains and higher on crosses, but I will try to swap this too (string gut in the mains higher and co-poly in crosses with lower tension). At least, I should be able to compare the effect of having my both current strings in different setup...

What sort of string is your Genesis SpinX? Never heard of it. I've seen Head RIP control in my local tennis shop, but I never tried it.

Jackson Heights
09-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I was curious as to the opening post. I did not know that ProKennex (PK) advises players to use one piece string and not hybrid strings for the Ki-5. What is the reason? I am planning to buy a ki-5 and string it with a natural gut on the main and a soft multifiliment as the cross strings. I am curious as to why PK would see a problem with that. Also wondering what problems would be caused by ignoring their advise.

schenkelini
09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
There is no problem going hybrid. I have no idea why they recommend 1 piece.

film1
09-21-2009, 09:15 PM

Used to be that way with me to, I had to lower tension when my arm was toast but I have found I can handle 60,62 no problem with the kennex.
it's a different animal, at least to me.

sidzej
09-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I am yet to try higher tensions with my Ki5. Since I switched to Ki5, I am stringing (always hybrids) at high 40s or low 50 (depending on strings).

The grommets are fine for 2 piece stringing and I also don't understand why PK recommended one piece.

I am currently playing with Gamma Pro in mains and PSGD in crosses and love the setup. I will try to string it with Global Gut (16g black) during the weekend.

tennisinoc
09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
My best set up so far and sticking to it:
Mains: Gut (Any kind, but have GG in it now) @ 62 lbs.
Crosses: PSGD @ 62 lbs.

Jackson Heights
09-24-2009, 06:34 PM
I am yet to try higher tensions with my Ki5. Since I switched to Ki5, I am stringing (always hybrids) at high 40s or low 50 (depending on strings).

The grommets are fine for 2 piece stringing and I also don't understand why PK recommended one piece.

I am currently playing with Gamma Pro in mains and PSGD in crosses and love the setup. I will try to string it with Global Gut (16g black) during the weekend.

Just curious. PK recommends anywhere from 52-68 tension for the KI-5. You went below the minimum. Does that cause problems? Strings usually dip about 3 pounds after you play a while, so yours will go a lot below the minimum.
By the way I just received my Ki-5s in the mail. I had them strung at 58 and they feel pretty tight.

sidzej
09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
No problem at all. At least I can't really feel anything...I plan to string it with full gut job and higher tension (54), so I will be able to compare it then. So far, no problems with low tensions...obviously, I had to adjust my strokes a bit to get used to the power, but my elbow is really happy now ;)
I doubt they define recommended tension range for "best playability"...it's just a figure and it is very subjective.

Steve Huff
09-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Head RIP Control is a pretty nice string. Stiff, but not as stiff as polyester. It has a rough texture though, and I'm not sure if it would go through the gut faster or not. Some roughs do and some don't (don't know why). It would probably be worth a hit though.

Jackson Heights
09-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I hit with the two new KI-5 rackets (old cosmetics though) I bought last nite for the first time. Not nearly enough power. I had them strung at 58 with Gamma Asterisk 17. (Some have said the Asterisk 16 is very low in power, but I bought the Asterisk 17). I had stepped on the strings a few times a couple of days before playing to loosen up the strings.

I had demoed the KI-5 for a few days before I bought it and the demo had enough pop. The demo was strung with NXT 16. I assume the demo had been strung a little tighter than 58 (TW strings demos 2 pounds over the middle recommended) but the demo still had much more power than the ones I bought. I will try my new rackets again today, maybe they have loosened some since yesterday. Otherwise I will have to re-string it way looser or try different strings or both. But I am way surprised how much less power the KI-5 I bought has than the Ki-5 demo had. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Update after three days of hitting: The strings started loosening up on the third day. I finally started getting a little power and some topspin, which I got neither of the first two days of hitting. I am starting to like these Gamma Asterisk 17 strings. They might have been a little better for me had I strung them at 56, but I am not a big hitter. I'm hoping the strings loosen a little more when I play next week.