PDA

View Full Version : Why are there more male defensive players than female ones?

Golden Retriever
08-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Seems to me there is a lot more male defensive players than female defensive players. Also there are many great male defensive players like Andy Murray, Michael Chang, Lleyton Hewitt etc but there ain't that many great female defensive players. Great female players are pretty much offensive players.

Maybe it actually takes more stamina to be a great defensive player?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Seems to me there is a lot more male defensive players than female defensive players. Also there are many great male defensive players like Andy Murray, Michael Chang, Lleyton Hewitt etc but there ain't that many great female defensive players. Great female players are pretty much offensive players.

I dont agree with this, you play with what youve got,Chang Hewitt etc cant really play any other way than they do, and they have been very succesfull at it so i dont see any need to change that. In the womens game its more "typical" to smack the ball, the men "thinks" a little bit more when they play, play with more strategy, would be fun to hear someone elses opinion about this.

THESEXPISTOL
08-07-2009, 05:14 AM

Look at Murray and you have your answer.
Being a defensive player requires a lot of fitness.

My coach always said me: 'You know.. Men tennis requires fitness, technique and intelligence. If none of that is working you're screwed.
In women tennis if none of this is working they just hit the ball with more power and if they manage to put it in they win the match'

And he's right. I realize that everytime i watch Williams sisters playing.

Ossric
08-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Perhaps, and this is just mere speculation, it's because men are naturally quicker/faster and can retrieve more would-be winners over the ladies who have almost all, for the most part, adopted a "spank the ball from the baseline" approach to tennis.

Apart from the Williams sisters, there are not that many heavy serving women on the tour, so they cannot come in behind their weak serves since so many women have powerful passing shots now. This turns most matches into rallies that end when someone paints more lines that the other.

Maybe I am completely off base here because I don't watch many women's matches because I find them boring. Maybe they mix it up a lot more than I give them credit for and my lack of exposure to their matches has skewed my judgement.