PDA

View Full Version : how many people were fans of federer before 2004

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm making this thread simply to see how many people like federer before he started to really dominate the sport. I would have chose the year 2003, but 1 slam isn't exactly dominating is it.

If you were a fan of Federer before 2004 - it is probably down to the fact he was quite successful in 2003, or you actually liked his game before he dominated (meaning you are a true fan and stuck with federer from the beginning)

however, if you were a fan of federer at 2004 - present, i can only assume you like him for his dominace, and you just want to support the winner and take the easy option (meaninig you are not a true fan)

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 06:01 AM
please, do not lie or deny anything

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-07-2009, 06:01 AM
I became his fan in Wimbledon in 2001, although i was curious about him even back in 1999 when he and his Swedish coach Peter Lundgren were in Sthlm practicing and tried to qualify for the Stockholm Open.

wyutani
08-07-2009, 06:02 AM
i only started tennis in 2005. so my answer is no. but my mom likes agassi.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-07-2009, 06:02 AM
100% honestly

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 06:03 AM
this is not a troll thread, this is just to separate the fed fans into 2 catgories

babbette
08-07-2009, 06:06 AM
I became his fan in Wimbledon in 2001, although i was curious about him even back in 1999 when he and his Swedish coach Peter Lundgren were in Sthlm practicing and tried to qualify for the Stockholm Open.

Here my boy pinocchio, let me help you with your growing nose.:)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-07-2009, 06:07 AM
My nose is not growing:) Im serious, why wouldnt i be??

akv89
08-07-2009, 06:07 AM
I was a fan before his domination, but it was after Wimbledon 2003.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Ive played tennis since i was 7, today im 29, played professionally for 4 years, its not like i started watching tennis because OF him which seems to be the case for some...

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 06:08 AM
I was a fan before his domination, but it was after Wimbledon 2003.

so im guessing you fell in love with federer when he won the masters cup and wimbleodn in the same year = fan of someone due to success

akv89
08-07-2009, 06:14 AM
so im guessing you fell in love with federer when he won the masters cup and wimbleodn in the same year = fan of someone due to success

After Wimbledon, before Masters Cup. BTW, I can't fall in love with people I never met. I was pretty young and didn't follow tennis as closely back then so someone would have had to have done well at a major for me to know who they were.

Anyway, it wasn't as if I also became a fan of Juan Carlos Fererro after he won the French that year. And there' plenty of guys now that I enjoy watching despite their lack of success.

Kegzz
08-07-2009, 06:15 AM
My parents went to Wimbledon in 2001 and they told us to watch him on TV. I was more of a casual fan of tennis back then, but I was a big fan of Roger. I became a proper tennis fan after 2004 though, when Sharapova won Wimbledon

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 06:17 AM
My parents went to Wimbledon in 2001 and they told us to watch him on TV. I was more of a casual fan of tennis back then, but I was a big fan of Roger. I became a proper tennis fan after 2004 though, when Sharapova won Wimbledon

and when federer started to take over

zagor
08-07-2009, 06:18 AM
I became his fan in 2009,when he won FO.

wyutani
08-07-2009, 06:19 AM
well think about it, i dun blame anyone whos a fan of fed after 2004, i mean, if fed was a loser, no one would be supporting him, i mean, who would?

Kegzz
08-07-2009, 06:21 AM
and when federer started to take over

I'd watch him when he was on prior to '04, but it was actually Sharapova who got me hooked on tennis.

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 06:22 AM
well think about it, i dun blame anyone whos a fan of fed after 2004, i mean, if fed was a loser, no one would be supporting him, i mean, who would?

why does JBF #1 like james blake - probably because he likes his game and can relate to him.

wyutani
08-07-2009, 06:25 AM
why does JBF #1 like james blake - probably because he likes his game and can relate to him.

between james blake and federer, who has more fans?

more slams, more wins = more fans.

its simple, really mate.

mandy01
08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
I became a fan during Wimbledon 2003.I was also a huge Agassi fan and used to be quite torn between the two everytime they played.

JeMar
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Became a fan when he single-handedly took out the U.S. in the 2001 Davis Cup. Yes, this was before he even beat Sampras.

grafselesfan
08-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I actually was a Federer fan before 2004 then became much less of one to what I am now, the complete anti-Federer. When he was younger and with Lundgren he actually played a refreshing all court game that was enjoyable to watch, he seemed to be one of a pack of interesting stars for the future, and he was refreshing in many ways. As he has gotten older his game has gotten increasingly one dimensional, his attitude increasingly self righteous, the field has collapsed around him and been a huge dissapointment which has led to his default dominance more through non existant competition than anything else, and he has received accolades and praises as the best ever which are IMO false as a result. So yes I of all people was a fan before 2004, but I am sure am not now.

akv89
08-07-2009, 06:51 AM
I actually was a Federer fan before 2004 then became much less of one to what I am now, the complete anti-Federer. When he was younger and with Lundgren he actually played a refreshing all court game that was enjoyable to watch, he seemed to be one of a pack of interesting stars for the future, and he was refreshing in many ways. As he has gotten older his game has gotten increasingly one dimensional, his attitude increasingly self righteous, the field has collapsed around him and been a huge dissapointment which has led to his default dominance more through non existant competition than anything else, and he has received accolades and praises as the best ever which are IMO false as a result. So yes I of all people was a fan before 2004, but I am sure am not now.

An entire field of players doesn't just collapse. Guys who did well before, still did well after Federer got to the top. It is much more likely that Federer got better than that an entire generation of players got worse.

grafselesfan
08-07-2009, 07:07 AM
An entire field of players doesn't just collapse. Guys who did well before, still did well after Federer got to the top. It is much more likely that Federer got better than that an entire generation of players got worse.

Roddick- hung around but never improved after 2004

Safin- collapsed after 2002, came back for blips in 2004 and 2005 but never as consistent as 2000 or 2002

Hewitt- fell off the radar after 2005, case of early burnout with his grinding style, the surface conditions which arent favorable to him, victim of fatherhood, hip surgery, take your pick

Ferrero- went away after 2003, injury and illness early in 2004 he never recovered his full form and confidence back from

Haas- career wrecked by injuries. Never became even a consistent top 10 player again

Kuerten- was never the same after late 2001 serious hip problems

Nalbandian- never got into true professional shape, a waste of talent

Hence why we have workmanlike guys like Davydenko, Ljubicic, and Blake ranked so highly during the Federer reign.

TheFifthSet
08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
before wimbledon '03, although i really can't remember because i wasn't that big of a fan. i prob. started following his game more closely when he obliterated safin in the '02 final. so no, i don't live vicariously through federer.

another thing, why do you automatically assume that fans who happen to start following players when they start winning are glory-hunters? couldn't it just be that they are appreciative of the TENNIS? couldn't it be that they simply hadn't noticed or even heard of the player beforehand, and their winning coincided with fans noticing them? naturally, when a player improves and starts playing great tennis he will gain loads of fans whom are appreciative of the tennis. doesn't always render them glory-hunters.

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 07:56 AM
before wimbledon '03, although i really can't remember because i wasn't that big of a fan. i prob. started following his game more closely when he obliterated safin in the '02 final. so no, i don't live vicariously through federer.

another thing, why do you automatically assume that fans who happen to start following players when they start winning are glory-hunters? couldn't it just be that they are appreciative of the TENNIS? couldn't it be that they simply hadn't noticed or even heard of the player beforehand, and their winning coincided with fans noticing them? naturally, when a player improves and starts playing great tennis he will gain loads of fans whom are appreciative of the tennis. doesn't always render them glory-hunters.

1)no.

2) look up the term 'glory hunter' you will see what it means

bertrevert
08-07-2009, 07:58 AM
2000 started seeing him and particularly when I saw him beat Boutter to win first ATP title in Milan, televised in the UK, an unforgettable match in 2001.

TheFifthSet
08-07-2009, 08:08 AM
1)no.

i don't see how that is glory-hunting. it's one thing if the player is losing and you don't fancy him, and start liking and rooting for him when he does start winning. but a lot of fans notice their favourite players once they start winning, usually because they hadn't heard much of them beforehand. not much you can do about that, although i was a fan of fed even when he was sorta a bottom-dweller.

besides, i said improving and playing great tennis, not neccesarily winning. i root for great tennis no matter who is winning or losing. i don't see anything wrong with a fan rooting for a player if he/she plays great tennis, although i would say there is a fine line (ie being obsessed with their winning, actively against another player so their player can win, etc. etc.)

flyinghippos101
08-07-2009, 08:12 AM
I fell in love with Federer's game at the 2003 Roger's cup I attended. Too bad he lost that game to Andy Roddick in three sets though.

Lifted
08-07-2009, 08:49 AM

I became a fan in 2009, when he played Montreal.

Lifted
08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
1)no.

Oh, before I forget...hello, galactico/hate machine/manny pacquiao P4P king/dragonfire.

pame
08-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I started to follow Federer Wimby Jr Singles 1998. A friend of mine on IRC, who's an avid tennis fan, saw him at the semi-finals and told me to watch out for this youngster... that he thought he was going to give some trouble when he turned pro! Little did my friend know or guess just how much trouble, I suppose. So I started following him from the Jr finals, afterwards often having to make do with just occasional snippets abot him, and some newspaper reports. Then ESPN Latin started bring coverage of some of his matches.. so that was cool.

Did the pre-2003 period have its frustrations? Yes. Was it worth sometimes despairing that he would ever fulfill the promise he showed? You bet!

Oh - and I don't agree that if you didn't start to follow him before 2004 that that doesn't make you a true fan

dragonfire
08-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Oh, before I forget...hello, galactico/hate machine/manny pacquiao P4P king/dragonfire.

i don't get it, is it a joke?

jonnythan
08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
you just want to support the winner and take the easy option (meaninig you are not a true fan)

What a stupid thing to say.

jonnythan
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
this is not a troll thread, this is just to separate the fed fans into 2 catgories

There's nothing quite as mature and civil as trying to divide the people who agree with you into two distinct categories: "us" and "them."

:(

Spider
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Oh come one, there is reason Federer has the most fans all over the place (include online - just check the number of people registered on his official website). It's simple reason - the more success gets you more fans. It's pretty simple actually.

If Fed wasn't as successful as he has turned out to be, he won't even have half his fans he has today.

jones101
08-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Ive been a fan since I watched his first match I saw of him - Wimby finals 03.

It was acutally Venus and Serena who got me into tennis. I'd only heard of Henman (being Welsh) and Sampras before that.

And playing top spin on PS2 lol

kat1
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
There's nothing quite as mature and civil as trying to divide the people who agree with you into two distinct categories: "us" and "them."

:(

Didn't OP say he was like 14 years old on other thread?

jonnythan
08-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Ah. That would explain it.

Lotto
08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm 17 now and I remember the first person to get me into tennis was Pete Sampras....I loved his backhand....I used to watch him back when I was 7 years old....my mum and dad played and still play tennis aswell but I fell in love with petes backhand and the game. I used to be down at the tennis club 24/7 when I was 7,8,9,10....I love the game that much, and in 2001 when I watched Sampras play Federer I was in awe. I loved Roger's forehand and serve, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and I was like 9 at the time...I used to go around pretending I was Roger Federer :oops: I've been a fan ever since...he's my childhood idol, my hero. People are always asking me "why do you love Roger Federer so much?" and I tell them that story. I'm a perfectionist, and it seems Roger is aswell. His play is poetry in motion.

VivalaVida
08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I became his fan today ;)

DarthMaul
08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I became a fan of Fed at the USO 2006. I started playing tennis at the same time.
He is my rolemodel in tennis.

jevonclyde
08-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I was a fan when I saw he smack a down te line backhand winner against Agassi at some indoor tournament. I was pushing for him to breakthrough already. When he plays I cannot watch his matches. I get too nervous. I don't sit. I stand and watch some points and channel surf when I can't take it anymore. Sad, I know. I had a similar periods with Agassi, Noah, Knicks and Celtics. I'll never bash another player, unless the player is a jurk or jurkette, since I a really a fan of the game.

bolo
08-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I was a fan of federer before 2004.

Fedfan1234
08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Wimbledon 2003 saw him against Schalken and though he could beat Roddick and win Wimbledon. He did and the rest is history.

BallzofSkill
08-07-2009, 03:32 PM
i was a casual fan of tennis in the 90s, around the sampras era. Didn't really enjoy the sport in general but I watched it occasionally. Anyway, around the time Fed became number 1 there was alot of big deal about his domination, but also his elegant tennis. The moment I saw him play though, I was awestruck.

FredMurray
08-07-2009, 05:13 PM
This thread is pointless, most people are obviously not going to be honest about it(for fear of being called a gloryhunter).Lets get real, Federer gained most of his fans after he started dominating.

I admit, I LOL'd.
:)

~ZoSo~
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
This thread is pointless, most people are obviously not going to be honest about it(for fear of being called a gloryhunter).Lets get real, Federer gained most of his fans after he started dominating.

I admit, I LOL'd.
:)

When did you become a greg fan?

FredMurray
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
When did you become a greg fan?

1997 :twisted:

ronalditop
08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
i started watching tennis in 2006, since then i have been a fed fan.

tennisdude6746
08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
The first match I ever saw was Wimbledon 2004 and I was really young so I had no idea he was dominant and I only started liking him because he was the first player I ever saw so I don't know which category that fits in

DarthFed
08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Started watching in 06, been his fan since wimby 06.

sh@de
08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I became a fan of Fed after Wimby 03, so yeah, I liked watching him play before he started dominating.

valiant
08-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I dont remember when I became a Fed fan. But I am guessing it was when he beat Pete I started liking him. When he won Wimbledon 2003 may be around that time/

Chelsea_Kiwi
08-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm making this thread simply to see how many people like federer before he started to really dominate the sport. I would have chose the year 2003, but 1 slam isn't exactly dominating is it.

If you were a fan of Federer before 2004 - it is probably down to the fact he was quite successful in 2003, or you actually liked his game before he dominated (meaning you are a true fan and stuck with federer from the beginning)

however, if you were a fan of federer at 2004 - present, i can only assume you like him for his dominace, and you just want to support the winner and take the easy option (meaninig you are not a true fan) Logically wouldn't that mean they no longer support him due to the fact he no longer dominates the field?

kOaMaster
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
in april (?) 2000, when he reached his first final in marseille and lost it vs marc rosset.

World Beater
08-07-2009, 11:57 PM
saw him play ferrero at the usopen for the first time...was not really in awe.

then i saw him beat sampras...and thought here's the next #1.

then saw he got edged out by haas at the AO in a great match...saw demoilish kafelnikov and safin on clay.

after he won the masters cup and the australian open in 03/04...i thought he's got potentially 20 slams in him.

jelle v
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I became a fan of Federer very early in his career.. He always used to play Rotterdam, a tournament that I usually visit. I think I saw Federer play (live) for the first time in 2000, maybe 2001 (I knew his name before that). When I saw him play, his motions were so, well... beautiful would be the right word and his tennis was also beautiful. I instantly was a fan of his game.

A thing that he used to do a lot then, was hitting drive forehand volleys. But not just regular, he would take them very high. He always seemed to climb this invisible stairway before hitting them. That was awesome.

Anyway, I was a fan very early.

nfor304
08-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I used to be a ballboy and the first match I ballboyed was Federer Vs. Prinosil in the sydney olympics. I thought he was amazing from that first match.... he hit some incredible passing shots. I ended up doing all his matches in that tournament right through to the bronze medal playoff and he came to the sydney tournament for the next few years so i saw him play alot before 2004. Always been a fan of his.