PDA

View Full Version : Dont know much about strings, need suggestions

indianbryant
08-07-2009, 06:00 AM
If I had to rate my self, I would rate myself a 3.5 player. I didn't know much about strings before, so I used the wilson sensation 17s...boy was that a mistake. I use the wilson kblade 98. My first serve is about 65 mph (Ive only been playing two years so I can't serve fast yet) and my ground strokes are about 45-60 mph. I don't volley often, and I only slice if the ball is too low of if i can't reach it in time. I need a string that does offer power and some control to match the added power. I don't break my strings easily.

The_Question
08-07-2009, 06:15 AM
If I had to rate my self, I would rate myself a 3.5 player. I didn't know much about strings before, so I used the wilson sensation 17s...boy was that a mistake. I use the wilson kblade 98. My first serve is about 65 mph (Ive only been playing two years so I can't serve fast yet) and my ground strokes are about 45-60 mph. I don't volley often, and I only slice if the ball is too low of if i can't reach it in time. I need a string that does offer power and some control to match the added power. I don't break my strings easily.

Then you self rate way too high, no offense.

What is your tension on Sensation? You might want to move to a 16G string instead. Probably a standard type syn gut, such as Gosen Super JC, Prince Lightning, etc...

indianbryant
08-07-2009, 01:55 PM
how about the gamma tnt 2 string? Also should I use a hybrid or hte same string for mains and cross?

Lakers4Life
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Then you self rate way too high, no offense.

What is your tension on Sensation? You might want to move to a 16G string instead. Probably a standard type syn gut, such as Gosen Super JC, Prince Lightning, etc...

If you go by NTRP guidlines, A high school player with post season play is considered 3.5. The player does not have to play in the post season but their team did advance to post season play. He could have been a reserve player and still be rated as 3.5 player. Though playing in HS tennis is an automatic 3.0 and can not be rated any lower. It does not matter how good you are or even up to the level of 3.0, it's about experience. Also Junior players are not rated until they are 16.

If he's not a string breaker, why stick with 16G? I'd go with 17G, higher tension. Something with tension stablility and all around power and control. Gamma Professional 17, Gosen SM 17 or Gosen Polyon 17. Maybe a few other multifiliment polys. Natural Gut if he can afford it.

how about the gamma tnt 2 string? Also should I use a hybrid or hte same string for mains and cross?

Hybrid gives you typically more durability, and best of both worlds combinations. TNT2 is a good all around string. I used to use it, but have gone to hybrid polys for more fine tuning. One thing about strings, there is no one ultimate string, if there was everyone would be using it. I take that back, Natural Gut is pretty close to ultimate, but can break easily, and is very expensive.

Strings have certain characteristics. Like one might play well and suit your style of play, but might not have tension stability. Another might have tension stability, but plays like junk. You just have to find a happy medium. Go to Stringforum (http://www.stringforum.net/) to look up all the strings and thier characteristics. Then decide what's right for you.

indianbryant
08-07-2009, 07:35 PM
thanks the website helped. I can't afford the natural stings but I've decided to go with the luxilon bing banger ALU rought 16. Its rated good and adds power, which is what I need due to my low level. In your opinion would this sting be ok for my level? Im not planning on getting a hybrid cuz I don't break strings easily...I went 4 months with Wilson sensation 17 and they still didn't break but definetly lost tension after about 2.5 months for me.

Lakers4Life
08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
BB Alu Rough will give you more spin, though like most co-polymers. It may sting, so be prepared for some possible arm problems. You might be better off with Topspin Cyber Flash 1.25, about the same as BBAR with a little more comfort.

You know when you lost tension when balls start to fly longer than normal.