PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready for The Big Match

tomas9848
08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
I play a lot of tournaments and I am just wondering what you need to concentrate on going into a match. What if you are playing someone thats better than you? How do you go into it with a positive attitude?? What do you need to work on? Can I have some feedback??

a-naik.1
08-07-2009, 07:29 AM
The biggest thing I see when teaching is the mental aspect. Some of the kids I teach all have the strokes but don't have the head game. What I tell them is to have confidence and play YOUR game and don't start slicing all the time because the other player is slicing. I feel that having a positive attitude going into a match or being pumped up before a match helps tremendously! Music has always done the trick for me. Remember, don't go into the match saying that the other player is better than me, you are just going to sike (sp?) yourself out. Have the ability to pump yourself up throughout the entire match. If I had a crowd watching me, I would play to the crowd because other people realllllly got me pumped up as well. Its easier said than done, but keeping your morale up is what makes great tennis player great. They forget about the points they loss and concentrate on the next point. They don't dwell at all and they don't lose. If you get a bad call, say "are you sure?" and move on. You can't do anything about the past. If you think you are getting hooked? Call a line judge or just hook them back, I've done it multiple times (but don't make it obvious). I hope this helps! Head game is the toughest part of a tennis player's game to master!

tomas9848
08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the advice.

3lowdown
08-07-2009, 11:55 AM
sike (sp?) yourself out.

psych. :) 10 char.