PDA

View Full Version : Starwars: Obiwan-Darth Vader dueling with lighted sticks. Is it fixed?

Tenny
04-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey, Starwars fans out there!
I have a question to ask. When Obiwan and Darth Vader were dueling (episode4, New hope: Soon, Vader will cut OB-1 in half but see nothing in his robe), we can clearly see Obiwan's light saber is actually a stick with a light at its tip. In the Original, special edition to my surprise, it was never fixed. I wonder whether they fixed it in new trilogy DVD set or it is still Obiwan dueling formidable, younger Vader with a lighted stick (That's how he lost the duel...)???

Tenny

don knot
04-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Don't know anything about that Tenny, but I am a huge star wars geek!
I can't waite untill May 19th for Episode 3, it's going to be awesome. I don't know which I would rather see the French Open or EP 3 :)

dAgEnIuS
04-01-2005, 02:24 PM
im so excited that "Revage of Sith" is coming out soon...
but when i saw the trailer on the internet, it didn't look that good...

don knot
04-01-2005, 02:38 PM
when you see the official movie trailer you will be super pumped. it's awesome!

Tenny
04-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey Don and dAg,

Glad to meet other starwars fans at TW. I am very excited too. All began when I was 10yr old or so. I wish the final episode be ...er...good. I am a little bit worried b/c there are quite a big gap to fill (Anakin to DV). BTW, check episode4. It has been a little secret of me ^^.

don knot
04-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Just hanging out untill the fed/agassi match.
I think George Lucas will fill all the gaps and answer all of the questions in this last film.
I just need to find out who Sifo-Dyas is/was?? That's been bugging the hell out of me for 3 years :)

tykrum
04-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Well I just watched it (the DVD) to try to see what you mean, and I did not notice a difference between Vader's and Obiwan's sabers besides the color difference.

AndrewD
04-01-2005, 03:57 PM
So you're telling me that Luke's lightsabre is a paint job? LOL

Tenny
04-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Well I just watched it (the DVD) to try to see what you mean, and I did not notice a difference between Vader's and Obiwan's sabers besides the color difference.

tykrum,

I have VHS copies of original and special edition. Right before they (Luke, Leia, Han etc) escape from the death star, Obiwan fights Darth Vader. It seems he is just trying to hold up Vader and stormtroopers. When Obiwan sees Luke and others have safely reached M. Falcon, he kind of stops fighting (still don't know why he would do that. To become a sprit?).

Check around this moment. Obiwan's light saber's tip will face towards you (as a result, it looks shorter) for a SHORT moment and unless they already took care of it in DVD version, you can see a 1cm diameter stick with a light at the end of it instead of humming 5cm diameter light saber. If Obiwan's light saber looks like one all the way until the death of him, it means finally they fixed it. Let me know what you see.

Tenny.

tykrum
04-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Well, first of all, he dies to transfer his powers to Luke (his Jedi apprentice) so Luke can become the Jedi Knight that he is meant to be. "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." Second, on the DVD, Obi-wan holds his saber at about a 45 degree angle, not straight at the screen. He definitely has a full saber during the entire battle, so I'm guessing they put in a different take of the end with his actual light saber.

nViATi
04-02-2005, 01:37 AM
play star wars knights of the old republic 1 (not 2). great game :)

Tenny
04-05-2005, 10:55 AM
So you're telling me that Luke's lightsabre is a paint job? LOL

Andrew,

Paintjob is the perfect word. They filmed the scene (or other light saber battle scenes) using sticks with a light at its tips for better tracing and later special effect people will 'paintjob' light sabers.

Ty, if you cannot see the stick when Obiwan's saber is 45degree (that was the moment I could see the stick), it means they finally fixed it. Try VHS versions.

Superior_Forehand
04-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I liked the original star-wars movies better, although I am super-pumped to see Revenge of the Sith because it will feature young vader. Does anyone know if they changed his contume signifigantly?

Kevin Patrick
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah, the originals are much better. I have a feeling if these movies were released with no star wars connection, they be generic sci-fi movies that no
one would care about. the name alone is what's drawing in the fans.

Superior,
they did create new vader costumes for this one. also hayden christiansen will actually be in the costume(not david prowse from the originals)

By all accounts, Vader will only be on screen for a few minutes. The marketing for the movie is very misleading.

FREDDY
04-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Which Side Would You Be On???

drakulie
04-10-2005, 02:13 PM
It is called "rotoscoping". In A New Hope (Episdoe IV), they actually filmed the scene with Vader and Obi-Wan fighting with white sabers (they were lit).After filming they do a special effect which is called rotoscoping (asddition of the color you see in the final film.

Curiously enough they missed addding the "red" to Vaders saber one of the Death Star Scenes... Right after Obi-Wan "becomes one with the force", there is a scene where the doors are closing as Vader is walking towards them, if you look at his saber it is white. I do not know how they missed it-but they did.

Kevin Patrick
05-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Just saw Revenge of the Sith last night. Not bad, an improvement over Episodes 1 & 2. Still has same problems as those two(IMO), poor dialogue & acting. But the action is pretty impressive & the last 40 minutes are surprisingly powerful(even though you know what's going to happen)
I'm sure it will make a lot more than the last one.

Craig Sheppard
05-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Have you guys seen this? The "lost" Star Wars--now found!

http://www.sequentialpictures.com/moviestarwarsepisode3.html

;)

peter
05-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I guess you all already have seen the Revelations movie?

Official Site of Star Wars Revelations (http://www.panicstruckpro.com/revelations/)