PDA

View Full Version : Did you start following tennis SERIOUSLY because of Federer?

fedtastic
08-07-2009, 11:01 AM
OK, so this is a really simple question. What I want to know is did any of you guys started playing/watching tennis SERIOUSLY because of Federer. I don't mean just watching a Slam here and there but also watching masters events and other ATP events your favourite player plays.
I used to be a big Sampras/Agassi fan in the 90's but since Federer burst on to the scene, I can't stop but watch all his matches. Even the minor ATP 500 events. I can say Federer inspired me to play and follow tennis and made me really fall in love with this great sport. I try to copy Federer's strokes on court, needless to say I fail miserably. But that's how amazing he is, he makes things look so easy and makes you think how hard can that be. But once you go out there on the court then you really start appreciating the genious of Master Federer. Football (soccer) has always been my NO 1 sport but know its Football and Tennis.

I live watching agressive attacking play and thats why I like teams like Barcelona and Arsenal in Football. Its not about glory hunting but appreciating the simplicity and beauty with which they play.

So did you start following tennis because of Fed or did he make you hate tennis with his dominance and arrogance? :mrgreen:

フェデラー
08-07-2009, 11:04 AM
no, I was a Rafa lover from 05-07 then I started to route for Roger. I watched tennis because of the Williams and some others but I cant recall the rest.

ddh
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I used to watch tennis as a kid then when i saw Federer play Agassi in the us open final i became a hardcore tennis fan. Im so glad i turn the tv on that day because tennis is the best thing ever!!!!

fedtastic
08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I used to watch tennis as a kid then when i saw Federer play Agassi in the us open final i became a hardcore tennis fan. Im so glad i turn the tv on that day because tennis is the best thing ever!!!!

No doubt, one of the greatst sports.

Serendipitous
08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Tennis is the greatest sport........thanks to Fed and Nad.....and others. :)

dadozen
08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I've been palying tennis for almost 17 years now, played competitve tennis and got a good ranking on regional tournaments when I was a teenager, have been just playing once in a while for the last years and I seriusly returned to the game this years, after a 3 years hiat. I have followed tennis for all those years since I started, and always liked to watch guys like Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, Guga, Chang, Meligeni, Courier playing.

I can tell you that even though I'm a Fed fan, I haven't watched pro tennis for a long time. Not that I didn't want to, but it was never on my schedule. Sadly, I lost Federer's career peak, and I regret it now. I wish I had waken up earlier on those sundays to watch him winning all those slams.

This year I have been watching all games I possibly can, including waking up 6AM on a sunday to watch the AO final.

So, short answer, no. I started seriously following pro tennis a long time ago.

;)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Tennis is the greatest sport........thanks to Fed and Nad.....and others. :)
Do u play? are u good?

dadozen
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
...Football (soccer) has always been my NO 1 sport but know its Football and Tennis.

I live watching agressive attacking play and thats why I like teams like Barcelona and Arsenal in Football. Its not about glory hunting but appreciating the simplicity and beauty with which they play.

So did you start following tennis because of Fed or did he make you hate tennis with his dominance and arrogance? :mrgreen:

Fedtastic, where are you from? I'm brazilian and my #1 sport is also soccer( football for the europeans ).

But I'd rather play tennis than soccer. I guess one is my watching passion, another is my playing passion.:)

Serendipitous
Do u play? are u good?

I played competitively for 7 years and stopped because my parents made me play several hours a day and I got sick of it and it was interfering with my schoolwork......a lot. :(

I sometimes play with friends nowadays.

fedtastic
I also want to mention Federer/Nadal and Sampras/Agassi rivalries as a great asset to Tennis. These rivalries produce drama and some of the greatest Tennis ever seen at professional level. Much respect to both Nadal and Agassi for making it more exciting.

fedtastic
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Fedtastic, where are you from? I'm brazilian and my #1 sport is also soccer( football for the europeans ).

But I'd rather play tennis than soccer. I guess one is my watching passion, another is my playing passion.:)

Hey dadozen, Obrigado. :confused:

lol, thats all portuguese I know. I am from England of mixed Welsh and Lebanese/Italian ancestry. I am not that good at Football so I take my revenge when playing tennis with my friends.

dadozen
08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey dadozen, Obrigado. :confused:

lol, thats all portuguese I know. I am from England of mixed Welsh and Lebanese/Italian ancestry. I am not that good at Football so I take my revenge when playing tennis with my friends.

Then 100% of portuguese you know is correct;) Very well written and spelled, people often have troubles with words in portuguese.

I envy you europeans for the soccer you manage to see every week. I wish I could watch Man. UTD vs. Arsenal either in Old Trafford or Emirates Arena, for me it might be the biggest rivalry in England. I'd also like to see Madrid vs. Barcelona, Milan vs. Inter, some games like that. OH, and of course, Champions League games... dayun, if only I could see ONE of those games live... I'd be a happy man:lol:

But, as you do, if I'd had to choose only one sport to play, that would be tennis. There's no other sport like this. You play it only by yourself, it's fatiguing, it's sometimes lonely, it's hard, it takes a looong time to improve, it takes no time for you to lose timing and other things if you stop playing, but when you hit that crazy winner, that you know your opponent has no chance of returning it even when the ball is just leaving your racquet, DANG, you know you love the sport:D

FedFan_2009
08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, I'd given up on tennis once Sampras' decline really set in after I saw him get thrashed by Safin in the 2000 US Open final. I only awoke again in 2005 with Roger backing up his 2004 year which I thought was a fluke. We're now in a new golden era.

wasta
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
no because of soderling

norbac
08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I used to watch guys like Safin, Guga and Hewitt when I was a kid. Then started getting into tennis and followed it on and off after watching Blake/Agassi USO 05. The Aussie Open 2008 was what got me seriously hooked into tennis.

JeMar
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
The first player that really got me interested in tennis was Patrick Rafter in the mid-to-late 90s.

I started playing tennis myself shortly after that.

CCNM
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Fed has renewed my interest in tennis-i watched it long before he was famous.

Tony48
08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
No.

10 chars.

clayman2000
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I began to seriously watch tennis after i saw Roddick.

Fedfan1234
08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I began watching Krajicek AO 1992 SF where he got injured and also became a fan of Sampras since Wimbledon 1993.
Federer from Wimbledon 2003.

FedFan_2009
08-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I began watching Krajicek AO 1992 SF where he got injured and also became a fan of Sampras since Wimbledon 1993.
Federer from Wimbledon 2003.

So basically you're a gloryhunter. In fact according to what I understand about gloryhunting, it's either following a top-prospect from the beginning of his career or first Wimbledon title. In order to NOT be a gloryhunter, you must only be fans of pure Serve&Volley players AND players ranked 1000-2000. Anything else is evil gloryhunting.

Fedfan1234
08-07-2009, 03:48 PM
So basically you're a gloryhunter. In fact according to what I understand about gloryhunting, it's either following a top-prospect from the beginning of his career or first Wimbledon title. In order to NOT be a gloryhunter, you must only be fans of pure Serve&Volley players AND players ranked 1000-2000. Anything else is evil gloryhunting.
Whatever I dont even want to know.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
No, there were plenty of players before Federer and will be afterwards as well, even if he is in the upper echelon of the greatest of all time. Rather a conceited question imo. Plenty of us followed tennis seriously before him, just because we love the sport, not just because of any one player who picked up a racquet.

Sentinel
08-07-2009, 07:38 PM
I stopped watching tennis due to Sampras, and started watching again thanks to Roger.

I don't know what I'll do when Roger quits. The others are mostly too boring to watch, mindless ball bashers.

Feņa14
08-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I've been a tennis fan since the mid 1990's, Federer is amazing though and i'm sure if I wasn't already a fan of the game he would of grabbed my interest.

GameSampras
08-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I began watching in 1995 at the Australian Open... Way before Fed.

If anything, if not for Nadal finally picking it up, Fed's domination should have turned more eyes away from the sport, and should have been looked at as LESS SERIOUS, due to no one else besides Nadal even being a remote threat

valiant
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I used to like steffi. But i started playing only 2 years back that too occassionaly. But for the past 3 weeks I play everyday.I play so bad as I was never into sports that much.

valiant
08-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Also I try to play single handed backhand like Roger.

TennisNinja
08-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Nope it was because of Agassi and Sampras.

DarthMaul
08-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Federer is the reason I started play/watch tennis in 2006.

EtePras
08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes, Fed is the reason I started to play/watch tennis.

Mkie7
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Well.. I was pretty serious about tennis during the Sampras era as well...

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
08-07-2009, 11:41 PM
roger is the reason i watch tennis!

kOaMaster
08-07-2009, 11:41 PM
The reason I started to watch tennis we're the wimbledon games each year in the mid 90s. like it a lot when I saw the first few matches. after that I started to watch it more often when hingis was succesfull - tennis made a lot more appearance in our TV that time. together with marc rosset, patty schnyder and the upcoming federer, there were many reasons to watch tennis and so it went on. but seriously, when hingis was number one I (and most of the country) thought wow - we have a tennis number one, amazing. one of the best thing that ever happend in sports. well, now it's second best :D

as for playing, I always played a little tennis, but my main interest is football and I spend a looot more time for watching & playing that. and for a couple of years I started with badminton which is - in my opinion - more attractive both watching and playing than tennis.

Terr
08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
No. Agassi did that for me. Then Greggers!