PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power still the 'Top Dawg'?

TripleB
08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I haven't seriously tried another polyester based string in my hybrids since I switched over to Luxilon BB ALU Power several years ago.

Just wondering if there are any polys (that T-W sells) that have come on the market recently that just blow the Luxilon out of the water (so to speak)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

TripleB

jackcrawford
08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Weiss Cannon Silverstring is more comfortable, holds tension longer, and provides similar power and spin. There is at least one long thread about it.

smack that
08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
luxilon alu power ROUGH

diredesire
08-07-2009, 06:43 PM
for my tastes, polyfibre TCS is a much better compromise between comfort, power and spin. Doesn't hold tension as well, but I never thought ALU was that great in that respect either. Kind of an expensive experiment, though.

Jakedasnake
08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
ALU Power cannot be beat. Don't listen to all these other jokers. They don't know what they're talking about. The awesome control and spin you get from this string is the best. It's not that stiff either if you string it low. Stick with ALU power!

kashgotmoney
08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Signum Pro Poly Megaforce. Honestly, a great poly string, better than lux IMO.

star 5 15
08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Alu Power is still the best. I REALLY liked the new babolat revenge though. I think its up there too. I tried a set of that a couple months back. the Revenge should be out next week or the week after.

skyzoo
08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
MSV Focus Hex 1.18 or 1.10. Stringforum thinks its top dog. I think it's top dog. It is top dog

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-07-2009, 07:52 PM
MSV Focus Hex 1.18 or 1.10. Stringforum thinks its top dog. I think it's top dog. It is top dog

that was for newcomer of the year. alu power was first in every category except newcomer of the year because it isnt new.

Try to read wat it won instead of listing mindless statements.
also, there is a reason almost half the tennis pros use alu power.

klementine
08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
It all depends on your flex, string pattern and headsize.

I tried ALU power in my MGPresMids ( a 90sq.in. head not 93) and it was way too boardy and the fact that it doesn't come in 18g.. made the string-bed way too dense.. lost all feel and spin was not good (strung @52lbs.).

BigBanger Ace 18g (green) works much better in my racquet, but if I string my KPS88 with BBAce it will die or snap in a couple of days, if not hours.

In my KPS88 I have ALU power in the mains (55lbs.) and X-1 biphase in the crosses (54lbs.). Feels great.

ollinger
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I keep coming back to Polystar Energy, available elsewhere online, for its considerable power, comfort and spin. Holds tension almost as well as Silverstring.

Lsmkenpo
08-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Nothing is better than ALU it's first 5 hours of play,I have tried probably 25 different polys and copolys,nothing has the crisp pop, spin and control of Alu,iMO.

Stringmakers are not trying to make strings to compete with Alu, they are instead making polys softer and more like synthetic gut to get club players to make a switch to a more expensive string, these new softer strings hold tension longer but certainly don't give the performance Alu does to begin with. New Polys are getting over hyped,
they don't offer better performance, just softer and hold tension longer, basically watered down versions of Alu for recreational players.

phoenicks
08-08-2009, 08:30 AM
that was for newcomer of the year. alu power was first in every category except newcomer of the year because it isnt new.

Try to read wat it won instead of listing mindless statements.
also, there is a reason almost half the tennis pros use alu power.

you need to get your eyes check, MSV Focus Hex is 2008 poly of the year. http://www.stringforum.net/string2008.php

goosala
08-08-2009, 12:39 PM
SPPP and Pro Supex Big Ace are great for the price.

jackcrawford
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Nothing is better than ALU it's first 5 hours of play,I have tried probably 25 different polys and copolys,nothing has the crisp pop, spin and control of Alu,iMO.

Stringmakers are not trying to make strings to compete with Alu, they are instead making polys softer and more like synthetic gut to get club players to make a switch to a more expensive string, these new softer strings hold tension longer but certainly don't give the performance Alu does to begin with. New Polys are getting over hyped,
they don't offer better performance, just softer and hold tension longer, basically watered down versions of Alu for recreational players.It's not in my budget to restring daily, so Silverstring and Black Code are much better options since Alu is worthless from the third day it's in the frame.

davidahenry
08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I haven't found anything that can come close to Alu Power Rough with regard to playability - except Alu Power. :-)

Take care.

DH

whereisz
08-09-2009, 09:20 PM
the string goes dead too fast for my liking. but does feel really well when freshly strung.

DownTheLine
08-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I love the feel of the rough with sensation in the crosses only problem I broke it in 8 hours just coming off a break caused by my wisdom teeth so I would probably break it in 4 hours normally, but it seems like the Lux goes dead before that. :(

TennisandMusic
08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
The only polys that are for ME worth playing are the Luxilon stuff (I used to use ALU power a lot) , Pro Line II and Gamma Zo Twist. I've tried just about everything. Silverstring, MSV Hex, and so many others simply do not come close to ALU despite what some people say. Pro line II and Twist are acceptable.

If you can afford to keep playing with ALU don't even bother switching.

2ndserveace
08-10-2009, 06:23 AM
The best poly out there for the first two hours is Alu. The best after that is up in the air.

forehand_barrage
08-10-2009, 06:27 AM
can someone compare alu power to gamma zo twist? and share your experiences with both strings

pmerk34
08-10-2009, 06:45 AM
It's not in my budget to restring daily, so Silverstring and Black Code are much better options since Alu is worthless from the third day it's in the frame.

It's not in my budget to restring monthly.