PDA

View Full Version : NADAL or FEDERER: Better Role Model

Conquistador
08-07-2009, 07:39 PM
This could be the toughest poll question in talk tennis history in my opinion. Both of these guys seem surreal to be perched number 1 and 2 in the world. The question is who is the better role model for tennis fans?

volleynets
08-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Both have good characteristics to be role models. For instance, you cannot go wrong with Federer's sportsmanship. You could also not go wrong with looking up to Nadal for his determination to win every point.

FedNad316
08-07-2009, 07:43 PM
This could be the toughest poll question in talk tennis history in my opinion. Both of these guys seem surreal to be perched number 1 and 2 in the world. The question is who is the better role model for tennis fans?

Both have qualities to emulate....I personally prefer Federer...though I also admire Nadal for his fighting qualities

CHOcobo
08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
both are a great inspiration. i also prefer Federer.

~ZoSo~
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Its hard to choose. On the one hand you have nadal with his energy, determination, and humility.
On the other hand you have fed who is gracious in defeat, modest, loves fashion and never courts press attention. They are both great role models imo.

Nadalfan89
08-07-2009, 07:52 PM
One man is a determined fighter who never gives up.

The other is a man who is very fashion savy and knows three languages.

My vote goes to Federer.

JeMar
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Its hard to choose. On the one hand you have nadal with his energy, determination, and humility.
On the other hand you have fed who is gracious in defeat, modest, loves fashion and never courts press attention. They are both great role models imo.

Its hard to choose. On the one hand you have nadal with his gamesmanship, bellicose behavior toward his colleagues, and totally inimitable style that depends on some genetic mutation (artificial or otherwise).
On the other hand you have fed who is worldly, kind and generous to his colleages (after all, they love him so much... even his biggest rival can't shut up about him), and so passionate about the game that he lets his fans see his true emotions. They are both great role models imo.

The-Champ
08-07-2009, 07:58 PM
They are obviously good guys but I voted for Nadal. He exudes that "people's champion" character....just one of the guys you can have beer with.

VivalaVida
08-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Its hard to choose. On the one hand you have nadal with his gamesmanship, bellicose behavior toward his colleagues, and totally inimitable style that depends on some genetic mutation (artificial or otherwise).
On the other hand you have fed who is worldly, kind and generous to his colleages (after all, they love him so much... even his biggest rival can't shut up about him), and so passionate about the game that he lets his fans see his true emotions. They are both great role models imo.
LOL those guys got pwned.

~ZoSo~
08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
LOL those guys got pwned.

Lol if you say so

VivalaVida
08-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Lol if you say so
I do say so. You brought up some lame points about Fed and JeMar brought up his own stupid points about Nadal. mmm Yeah its all even.

~ZoSo~
08-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I do say so. You brought up some lame points about Fed and JeMar brought up his own stupid points about Nadal. mmm Yeah its all even.

Ok sir
Well whatever pwned means to you, enjoy it. Thanks for the commentary

VivalaVida
08-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok sir
Well whatever pwned means to you, enjoy it. Thanks for the commentary
Absolutely. Come back for more pwnage. :D

Lifted
08-07-2009, 08:28 PM
They are obviously good guys but I voted for Nadal. He exudes that "people's champion" character....just one of the guys you can have beer with.

Not that seeming like a people's champion matters, but IMO it seems that a beer can be had with Federer as well. He seems like somebody with whom one can talk about every aspect of tennis, or whatever sport (football) he is interested in. I've read articles which describe Federer's pre-match demeanor in the locker-room as jovial, social and interested (I'll try and see if I can find them). Again, none of this really matters, as it is all second-hand information and up to appearances.

Both seem like really solid dudes off-court, though. I'd give them a "what's up , bro," anytime of the day.

EDIT: Here's one (http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/07/30/edberg-chang-and-courier-on-the-tremendous-nadal-federer-era/), it's Jim Courier saying it, but, meh.

“Roger in the locker room is I think pretty unique in terms of players of his stature. I have several friends who are still playing on tour full time. They talk about Roger minutes before he’s playing a grand slam semi final. They’ll still be there playing doubles, and he’ll be listening to their ipods and asking them what their favorite new songs are. And this is literally minutes before he’s going out to play a prime time semi final grand slam match. . .Roger just has this very light energy around him. He’s not a tortured artist by any means. He’s someone who loves being around the courts. Loves hanging around tennis, loves talking tennis, loves being in this world. And it’s this very special lightness of being that I think the other players marvel at because he doesn’t show any mercy when he plays. But he knows how to make people feel comfortable around him. And for many, many years there were champions whose M.O. was to make everybody else uncomfortable. So it’s a very different energy that he brings to the table.“

Read more: http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/07/30/edberg-chang-and-courier-on-the-tremendous-nadal-federer-era/#ixzz0NYhz7LaR
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution No Derivatives

Breaker
08-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Murray .

FedFan_2009
08-07-2009, 08:39 PM

I heard Nadal drinks Merlot, so much for "people's champion".

drakulie
08-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Here is my choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jUGufaJek

FedFan_2009
08-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Here is my choice:

Oh god that's so gross - and opponents are supposed to shake that sh*t covered hand!

jamesblakefan#1
08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
James Blake, though of these two, Federer.

Lifted
08-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Blake's story is pretty unreal, and, if we're going for an inspirational role-model, he wins hands down.

drakulie
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Arthur Ashe.

John Mcenroe comes in a close second.

TMF
08-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Between the two, definitely TMF. He was chosen to be the goodwill embassador. He established the Roger Federer Foundation. Speak multiple language. TMF is the closet to perfect being a role model for the kids

Lifted
08-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Arthur Ashe.

John Mcenroe comes in a close second.

Although it's really close, I would put McEnroe over Ashe. Hey, somebody's got to tell those pinheads (linesmen and umpires) how to do their jobs or they won't do them correctly. :shock: Buncha putzes.

CountryHillbilly
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I'd say they are both role models, only for different people with different characters.

You know, you can get banned for sarcasm around here.

jamesblakefan#1
08-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Although it's really close, I would put McEnroe over Ashe. Hey, somebody's got to tell those pinheads (linesmen and umpires) how to do their jobs or they won't do them correctly. :shock: Buncha putzes.

Bill O'Reilly? Is that you?

http://www.derober.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/oreilly_pinheads_logo.jpg

Lifted
08-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Bill O'Reilly? Is that you?

Well, since the 'No Spin Zone' follows me wherever I go, yes...yes, it's me...

The last time some body called me out on a forum, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY) happened the next day when I went in to work. I couldn't concentrate and the stupid thing sucked. So, thanks a lot. You're making my list.

slicefox
08-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Murray .

why do you have to butcher the thread in such a manner?

CanadianChic
08-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I think they are both excellent role models. They are both extremely competitive, driven players who are courteous and respectful both off an on the court. They push each other to new heights (and records) and bring out the best in eack others' skills. They both prioritize family and appear to have strong morals. They both take time for their fans, are gracious in interviews (for the most part) and have elevated the sport.

jamesblakefan#1
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I think they are both excellent role models. They are both extremely competitive, driven players who are courteous and respectful both off an on the court. They push each other to new heights (and records) and bring out the best in eack others' skills. They both prioritize family and appear to have strong morals. They both take time for their fans, are gracious in interviews (for the most part) and have elevated the sport.

I agree w/ this, both are great models for any young person to follow, most of the tennis players are in fact. What's to say Roddick, DelPotro, Murray, Djokovic, Simon, Kolya aren't good role models as well?

All do great on the court and help give back to the game of tennis as well.

ckledzepplin
08-07-2009, 10:39 PM
for kids I would have to say rafa, because he is so humble, and I read an article that he has to take care of his own equipment very well because uncle toni forced him to, and toni said that he wouldn't coach rafa anymore if he threw a racquet, and he made rafa put his shoes on very carefully so he didn't damage them at all, such as crushing the heel when puting them on

CanadianChic
08-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I agree w/ this, both are great models for any young person to follow, most of the tennis players are in fact. What's to say Roddick, DelPotro, Murray, Djokovic, Simon, Kolya aren't good role models as well?

All do great on the court and help give back to the game of tennis as well.

I agree. There are a few who I feel display poor sportsmanship and their personal lives are a tad questionable, but it is not for me to judge. I appreciate most of the top ten right now and am rooting them all on. I don't think it is necessary to hate one to enjoy another..sadly too many people feel the need to 'pick sides'.

CountryHillbilly
08-07-2009, 11:15 PM
I agree. There are a few who I feel display poor sportsmanship and their personal lives are a tad questionable, but it is not for me to judge. I appreciate most of the top ten right now and am rooting them all on. I don't think it is necessary to hate one to enjoy another..sadly too many people feel the need to 'pick sides'.

Well, everyone except Safin (and maybe Hewitt) is a good role model in men's tennis. We don't have anything even remotely approaching jerks like McEnroe in today's tennis.

They are all well-behaved and committed players and anyone should be proud to be like them.

DarthMaul
08-07-2009, 11:33 PM

Yeah, Blake should be there on poll too! But I voted for Fed.

EtePras
08-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Is this even a question? One has the elegance of a king in everything he does, while the other is a barbarian.

imalil2gangsta4u
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I think its personal. Both are great choices, but i find Nadal a great role model for me. When i first started playing tennis, i would give up easily and sometimes drop my level after a few points. Nadal showed me that working hard to improve and fighting for every point has its benefits. I like Federer as a person a lot and i love his game even more, but Nadal is a big role model for me.

wyutani
08-08-2009, 12:53 AM
breakpoint.

egn
08-08-2009, 01:56 AM
God these guys have nothing on Navratilova or Ashe.

Terr
08-08-2009, 02:16 AM
I speak 5 languages and have great fashion sense. Can I be a role model too please?

And I wouldn't say Nadal is a gamesman. I'd actually say he's exhibits excellent sportsmanship. I don't know about the bellicose behaviour either... where'd that come from?

Though I think Fed really grew into a role model as his career progressed. Less of the tantrums and racquet throwing. I really hate when players do that.

I like that Nadal doesn't throw his racquet down. I like that he sits down to change his shirt. I just really hate his water bottle/sock quirks. The butt picking? You should try playing with material stuck in your crack. See where that gets you.

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Murray .

I agree.

10 chars.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Easiest poll question ever in my opinion.
Id pick Federer 7 days a week. I think the butt-picking and the constant time-delaying is NOT something to look up to, i dont even recomend my kids that i teach trying to play like Nadal. Outside of the court, well its hard to understand what Nadal says so i pick Federer there aswell.

Breaker
08-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Easiest poll question ever in my opinion.
Id pick Federer 7 days a week. I think the butt-picking and the constant time-delaying is NOT something to look up to, i dont even recomend my kids that i teach trying to play like Nadal. Outside of the court, well its hard to understand what Nadal says so i pick Federer there aswell.

Nadal. I think the crying, patronising, blaming technology, insulting opponents' playing styles, smashing rackets, telling opponents' parents to be quiet when they have the audacity to cheer for their own son instead of him, wearung outrageous outfits just because you've won somewhere a lot, wearing those same outfits with the pants backwards, eating ice cream, and having a family and kids are NOT something to look up to.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
delete post

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Santoro is the best role model.

Lionheart392
08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Federer...
Nadal and his timewasting antics set a very poor example of what the world no.1 should be... :(

tintin
08-08-2009, 09:31 AM
2 good guys really

family guys

they've both been with their partners for years now way before they became famous and 1 of them is married and is a father of 2 little girls so we can't call either one of them a man wh ore

they both work hard

they don't curse on the court unlike others

they don't insult women;gays or say anything racist like some player did

they are involved with their respective charities

i'd go for RF because he is older and for all of his success and fame and $;he is still a cool guy

drakulie
08-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Nadal. I think the crying, patronising, blaming technology, insulting opponents' playing styles, smashing rackets, telling opponents' parents to be quiet when they have the audacity to cheer for their own son instead of him, wearung outrageous outfits just because you've won somewhere a lot, wearing those same outfits with the pants backwards, eating ice cream, and having a family and kids are NOT something to look up to.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM

:-D:-D:-D:-D

raiden031
08-08-2009, 09:39 AM
When Roger speaks, I feel like I am listening to Roger's words.

When Nadal speaks, I feel like I am listening to Toni's words.

Roger

bolo
08-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Nadal is the better sportsman so we have to go with him.

JoshDragon
08-08-2009, 11:20 AM
How is Roger a good role model for kids. He got his girlfriend pregnant before he was married and he's cried during the finals of the Australian Open and I think Wimbledon 2008 as well. He's a tremendous tennis player but he's not a good loser. He's also not humble.

~ZoSo~
08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
How is Roger a good role model for kids. He got his girlfriend pregnant before he was married and he's cried during the finals of the Australian Open and I think Wimbledon 2008 as well. He's a tremendous tennis player but he's not a good loser. He's also not humble.

I think its a bit draconian to slate him for only getting married because a child is on the way. I do however agree with the rest of your post.

VivalaVida
08-08-2009, 11:36 AM
He is a good role model in that he works extremely hard at what he does (I hear his work ethic is incredible). He has pretty sizable charity organization and has provided aid to many poverty stricken areas around the world such as India and South Africa. He was also the mastermind behind the ATP tsunami relief rally. All in all, Federer has more good qualities than bad ones.

settolove
08-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Excuse me? What century is this? There is nothing wrong with not being married if you are in a committed relationship. Marriage does not somehow make you better than everyone else. Roger's been with the same woman since he was 19 years old, he could have thrown her over hundreds of times over for someone more prettily packaged, once he got to the top. As for the crying he cries when he wins as well. Does that make him a bad winner then? There's a saying about good losers - "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". I seriously doubt any elite athlete is a good loser, some just hide it better than others. It is the desire to win, and the hatred of losing that goes into making them elite athletes.

jackson vile
08-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Both have good characteristics to be role models. For instance, you cannot go wrong with Federer's sportsmanship. You could also not go wrong with looking up to Nadal for his determination to win every point.

Crying at Slams, making snide comments, making excuses, etc are not good characteristics.

No tennis player in history can even touch Nadal when it comes to being a role model for everyone.

VivalaVida
08-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Crying at Slams, making snide comments, making excuses, etc are not good characteristics.

No tennis player in history can even touch Nadal when it comes to being a role model for everyone.
Arthur Ashe was a far better role model than either Federer or Nadal.

bolo
08-08-2009, 11:52 AM
He is a good role model in that he works extremely hard at what he does (I hear his work ethic is incredible). He has pretty sizable charity organization and has provided aid to many poverty stricken areas around the world such as India and South Africa. He was also the mastermind behind the ATP tsunami relief rally. All in all, Federer has more good qualities than bad ones.

These are all good qualities. He also seems to go out of his way to promote the sport. In this last respect he is very different from say Sampras.

jackson vile
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Arthur Ashe was a far better role model than either Federer or Nadal.

Kudos to that sir!

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Daniel Koellerer is the best role model.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Daniel Koellerer is the best role model.
Love your posts :wink:

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Love your posts :wink:

Thanks.

I love your avatar. :):):)

mandy01
08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks.

I love your avatar. :):):)
Like yours too..I adore cats.

Emelia21
08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Tough choice but I have voted for Nadal :)

Cyan
08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't think crying like a baby at a trophy ceremony because you lost(Fed at AO 2009) or breaking racquets because you are losing(Fed at Miami 2009) can be considered a good role model.

Lifted
08-08-2009, 07:20 PM

I agree. Additionally, shame on Roger for not making Mirka wear this:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5035/puritanwoman.jpg

drakulie
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Nadal obviusly has more trolls as fans, so I don't think he makes for a good role model....... Unless you want your kid to be a butt-picking, ignorant troll.

JoshDragon
08-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Excuse me? What century is this? There is nothing wrong with not being married if you are in a committed relationship. Marriage does not somehow make you better than everyone else. Roger's been with the same woman since he was 19 years old, he could have thrown her over hundreds of times over for someone more prettily packaged, once he got to the top. As for the crying he cries when he wins as well. Does that make him a bad winner then? There's a saying about good losers - "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". I seriously doubt any elite athlete is a good loser, some just hide it better than others. It is the desire to win, and the hatred of losing that goes into making them elite athletes.

I never said that it did.

Bilbo
08-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Manuel Orantes. Pure class and elegance. Up there with Arthur Ashe in that category.

Agassifan
08-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Lol. Did anyone other than the OP think that this would be close?

settolove
08-09-2009, 01:41 AM
I never said that it did.

You implied like there was something wrong with you if you weren't married and had sex which resulted in children.

JoshDragon
08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
You implied like there was something wrong with you if you weren't married and had sex which resulted in children.

We are talking about role-models. I don't think it's something to aspire to.

Cantankersore
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
We are talking about role-models. I don't think it's something to aspire to.

Nadal has obviously had pre-marital sex, so it evens out. I don't see your point.

JeMar
08-09-2009, 12:04 PM
This is great.

People think Federer's not a good role model because the condom broke. LOL!

maximo
08-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Nadal has obviously had pre-marital sex, so it evens out. I don't see your point.

What makes you say that???

JoshDragon
08-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Were you there when it happened? How would you know it?

Conquistador
08-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Where do you get this rubbish? Nadal is most likely still a virgin. IT'S NADAL we are talking about here. Nadal>Most of Us.

FedFan_2009
08-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Where do you get this rubbish? Nadal is most likely still a virgin. IT'S NADAL we are talking about here. Nadal>Most of Us.

Hmmm. You know I wouldn't be totally shocked if Xisca was a beard. I've heard rumors that ****** might swing the other way...

ThePerfectMan (unlike me)
08-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Roger is my personal role model, and I'm in my late thirties (call me a ****)...

I like Nadal but I don't see him at all as a role model... For me he's like a late teenager, extremely gifted and competitive (not only on the playstation), but someone who really needs mature guidance and framework...

Roger, on the other side, makes his own decisions (OK he asks for Mirka's opininon, that's what most male adults do anyway :)

Conquistador
08-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Roger is my personal role model, and I'm in my late thirties (call me a ****)...

I like Nadal but I don't see him at all as a role model... For me he's like a late teenager, extremely gifted and competitive (not only on the playstation), but someone who really needs mature guidance and framework...

Roger, on the other side, makes his own decisions (OK he asks for Mirka's opininon, that's what most male adults do anyway :)

To me Roger appeals to a wider audience.

Cesc Fabregas
08-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Hmmm. You know I wouldn't be totally shocked if Xisca was a beard. I've heard rumors that ****** might swing the other way...

I can't wait till you get banned.

Gorecki
08-10-2009, 06:00 AM
delete

10 char