PDA

View Full Version : Poly + Dampener Effects?

dacrymn
08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I've just began to experiment with poly. I used to use a full multi stringbed, but I'm trying a few polys at the moment. One thing I've noticed is the massive difference a dampener makes on the feel of the hit. Before, I've always gone with the rubberband, and it's done it's job well enough. I carried it over to my poly/multi hybrid job, and it felt soft/mushy. Not uncomfortable to say the least, but it wasn't as crisp or satisfying as it was before. I then attached a larger, more dampening dampener (a worm-weaving one) and I must say the feel is astronomically different. It's crisp, and it feels *good*. The racket makes the same, precise sound, and it feels so much more solid. I didn't think it would make this much of a difference, but apparently it does. Shot quality isn't any better or worse, as you'd expect, but it just feels better.

Anyone had this experience?

ronalditop
08-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I would think that a larger dampener would make the stringbed feel softer than with a rubberband. I dont know why the opposite happens to you. Maybe the rubberband dampens even more than your worm dampener.

NoNameZ
08-12-2009, 06:33 PM
from my experience, the bigger the dampener, the softer the stringbed goes, and the less pop you get in most cases. Usually for more feel, I take off the dampeners, or switch to a different one.