PDA

View Full Version : Reversed my string set-up.. some thoughts.


klementine
08-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I have tried many different multis and polys in my MGPresMids over the past year and a half.. (all 17g) full klip excellerator, x-1 biphase, recoil, duraflex, LT, gamma prof, weiss canon explosiv, xcel, Kgut,Gosen OG JC and some others.

Polys I have tried full-bed (17g) ALU power, optic nerve, pro line II, hurricane, pacific X-force, BBoriginal, topspin cyber blue and BBAce 18g.

I have finally settled ( the past month ) on X-1(17g) in the crosses @ 57lbs. and BBAce(18g) in the mains @ 58lbs. I believe this combination fits the MGPresMid perfectly.. since the pattern is so dense and the headsize being a full 90sq.in.

Today, I decided to reverse the set-up and keep the same tension. X-1(57lbs.) in the mains and BBAce(58lbs.)in the crosses. Tonight I just hit and played a couple of sets for about 3hours, with this set-up.. just some observations.

1.) I came to this conclusion because I always snap my strings in the crosses, now that the BBAce is in the crosses, durability should be better.

2.) First off the sound was completely different, it still sounded like I was beating someone with a cardboard box.. but this time in the torso instead of the head.. alot deeper, lower more resounding 'THWACK'.

3.) The balance between the multi and the poly was more distinguishable.. when BBAce was in the mains and died.. it didn't matter that the X-1 was still alive and responsive.. as if they had melded together. Now, with X-1 in the mains, the flex of the frame was softer. When the BBAce was in the mains, even after 3hrs. of heavy exchanges it would change sounds, then right before it would die.. it would feel the best right before, it seemed to tighten-up for five minutes, as if it was clinging-on for dear life then die. Not so when reversed. Also, with the X-1 in the crosses, after three hours it would show signs of fray and I knew that I had a limited amount of life left. Even though the dense pattern of MGPresMid does not lend to compulsive string breaking.. it still happens.

4.) Serves were more powerful. The sweetspot seemed bigger and more forgiving with the multi @ 57lbs. in the mains. I didn't notice any decrease in spin production, but definately noticed that the balls were not kicking up high as with BBAce in the mains, the trajectory was lower and fast paced, when they would kick, they would have a more exaggerated spin.. but it was just lower.

5.) Forehands were deeper and the trajectory again was lower with X-1 in the mains.. more pace was noticeable.. but I had to be excessive with my follow through when putting topspin on the ball, almost come up, across my shoulders instead of parallel to the ground, to put some height on my spin. Backhands would tend to sail on me. I have a hard time hitting topspin 2HBH's, it's a 60%-40% battle.. most of the time they are flat and low. Was not a problem when the BBAce was in the mains. Picking up fast-balls early seemed more natural, on both sides and did not feel as if I was running -up hill.. more forgiving and confidence inspiring. With the BBAce in the mains, it was decent but only for a couple of hours of heavy hitting.. after that they would die and the card-board box feeling did not equate to the ease of picking the ball-up on the rise.

6.) Slices and dropshots were $$$$$$$. Seemed as if I was hitting deeper balls with more spin and work with X-1 in the mains. Again low trajectory and a very darting type of spin. With BBAce in the mains the trajectory would be quite higher and more effort was needed to get them deep.

Cannot comment on net-play or overheads.. as I spent the majority of the night by the base-line.

Overall, I'm happy.. even if the BBAce has started to die.. it is not that noticeable as the X-1's are well alive and show no signs of fraying. After 3hrs. with the old set-up the BBAce would start to die and the X-1's would be fraying. String movement was minimal.. as the BBAce slides back into position fairly easily across the X-1's with little friction.

Will keep updating as I move through the weekend and into next week. If anyone has any suggestions or comments.. Please let me know.

RobFL
08-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Interesting post klementine. I've been meaning to do that, put the co poly in the crosses, this will give me incentive to try it. Might do it in the K90 you sold me, it played dead after about 6-8 sets with Cyber Flash Blue in the mains and BDE gut in the crosses. Played great the first 6-8 sets.

klementine
08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Interesting post klementine. I've been meaning to do that, put the co poly in the crosses, this will give me incentive to try it. Might do it in the K90 you sold me, it played dead after about 6-8 sets with Cyber Flash Blue in the mains and BDE gut in the crosses. Played great the first 6-8 sets.

My stringer looked at me like I had bird poo all over my face when I told her I wanted my poly in the crosses at 1lb. above the multi in my mains. It's a compromise ofcourse, as with anything when it comes to equipment. I sacrificed low-power and higher spin (for about 4-5hrs.) for comfort, lower-trajectory-different, darty spin, power and hope-fully durability... I'll see how it holds-up.

My polys will drop lower, in time, than the X-1's, so I figured a lb. or two above my set main and they should come down together.

Again, it all depends on flex, string-pattern and head-size.. but it seems to work for my MGPresMids, as they are inherently low-powered (flexy) and have a tight, dense string pattern.

With BBAce in the crosses.. I would guesstimate that the density of the pattern is on-par with my KPS88 with 16g strings in it.. maybe slightly more dense.

Let me know you're thoughts after your reversal.